Texas Hunting Forum

Duck breast cooking question

Posted By: chaseh2003

Duck breast cooking question - 04/08/17 04:31 AM

When I cook duck breast on a grill or cast iron skillet I get it hot to get a good sear. I've noticed as soon as it hits the heat it puckers up a lot. I'm thinking that might make the meat tougher and chewy. Should I be cooking over lower heat? Thanks
Posted By: Guy

Re: Duck breast cooking question - 04/08/17 10:32 AM

Yeah, it happens. The only thing I think helps is aging the meat. I like to age my ducks about a week. Good article below I had bookmarked..

http://www.omaha.com/outdoors/aging-game...4.html?mode=jqm

Re: Duck breast cooking question - 04/08/17 02:40 PM

I normally age them but only 4-5 days
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Duck breast cooking question - 04/08/17 05:49 PM

I've always cooked my low and slow.

Re: Duck breast cooking question - 04/09/17 12:27 AM

Bill, do you cook them past rare? I don't like the liver taste when I do that
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Duck breast cooking question - 04/09/17 01:06 AM

Soak in milk for a couple hours. Wrap them in bacon and put some onion on it with a toothpick just like dove, cover in chipotle raspberry sauce, they turn out great.
Posted By: A.B.

Re: Duck breast cooking question - 04/09/17 01:12 AM

Soak in milk overnight, coat in ranch dressing, coat in flour, sprinkle slap yo momma seasoning, drop in hot peanut oil for 3 minutes. Thank me later.
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: Duck breast cooking question - 04/09/17 12:59 PM

You guys are making me hungry. I will have to try a couple of new recipes but this is my favorite so far. I typically age my birds breast up in the fridge for three days... I also exchange teriyaki for worchester sauce to mix it up a little. My 2 and 4 year olds love duck.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/114442/grilled-wild-duck-breast/
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Duck breast cooking question - 04/09/17 03:19 PM

central market in Austin did duck burgers, garlic and other spices, they were great
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Duck breast cooking question - 04/09/17 05:30 PM

Originally Posted By: chaseh2003
Bill, do you cook them past rare? I don't like the liver taste when I do that

It's been awhile. The only thing I ever cooked where whole boneless skin on mallards. I would truss them back up and stuff them with vegetables. They were one of my wife's favorite meals. She also like doves.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Duck breast cooking question - 04/09/17 06:30 PM

This is how I cook mine. On hot cast iron, skin on and skin side first, 2 to 3 minutes on each side, hot and fast for caramelization. Med to Med-rare, key is not over cook. Salt and pepper and little oil. These are GWT, just about to pull them off. Yeah they pucker up a bit, no biggie, still delish..

[Linked Image]

I cook my duck like I do steak. I cook them like the master chef, except I skip the butter.

Posted By: HuntCrafted

Re: Duck breast cooking question - 04/13/17 03:49 PM

I cook mine 6-7 min on the fat side in the skillet and then turn them over and pop them into the pre-heated oven for 2-3 minutes. Perfect every time. For bigger birds I'll score the fat site and throw some salt on it which helps with shrinkage.

I'll also hit my duck breasts with a jaccard tenderizer if I think it might be tough for whatever reason or its been frozen for a long time. Those things are magic and HEB sells them now.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum