Texas Hunting Forum

South Zone Dove

Posted By: talkturkey

South Zone Dove - 09/23/16 12:50 PM

Anyone hunting this morning? Any reports? Saw bunch of hunters already jockeying for position off of 90A this morning at 6:30am. Not seeing any/many in East Bernard area.
Posted By: 7six2

Re: South Zone Dove - 09/23/16 12:58 PM

From what I'm hearing the South Zone is off to a slow start this year.
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: South Zone Dove - 09/23/16 02:14 PM

I'm gonna go look around this evening.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: South Zone Dove - 09/23/16 03:43 PM

Got one dove. WMA was crowded as hell and not a lot of birds flying.
Posted By: Team Porkchop

Re: South Zone Dove - 09/23/16 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Palehorse
Got one dove. WMA was crowded as hell and not a lot of birds flying.

I was thinking of going there this morning but decided not to. Last two years I have gone, the birds have been a no show.
Posted By: Fishuhalik

Re: South Zone Dove - 09/24/16 02:32 AM

Well, sounds like we had as good of an opening as anyone. Hunted my buds ranch by Orange Grove. Ended up with 23 between 3 guys by 0930. All of us shot well, so there weren't a ton of birds around. Was shocked at how little shooting we heard. I thought it would sound like a war zone in that area. Wish we coulda hunted last weekend. I spent about 9 hours mowing my shops field in Pleasanton and had several thousand fly over me. Sat for 30 minutes tonight and only saw a handful.
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: South Zone Dove - 09/24/16 03:10 AM

I killed 7 white wings this evening near Bigfoot, Tx and people were melting the barrel around me
Posted By: kweber

Re: South Zone Dove - 09/24/16 08:21 AM

40 day hunters limited next to my place fri morn....
those birds will leave w/Monday's front....
maybe the NTx doves will come in here in a few daays....
lotsa feed for them here in Medina Co.
Posted By: Fishuhalik

Re: South Zone Dove - 09/25/16 05:57 AM

Shot my limit in Jourdanton today. Shoulda had 2 limits with how many shells I went through. Yesterday I was on fire. Today was a whole 'nuther story haha
Posted By: TripleE

Re: South Zone Dove - 09/25/16 09:42 AM

Thirteen of us shot limits for two days in the same field. We'll hit em again this morning before we head out. Fewest birds I've seen area wide in years but finding one hot field makes up for it. Jim wells county
Posted By: Erich

Re: South Zone Dove - 09/26/16 02:36 PM

we hunted way down south near Hebbronville. the dove moved some right before dusk. not heavy movement, but enough that if you shot well you could get a few. I got three. they were high and fast though. I suspect they will be better in the weekends to come.
Posted By: Boudreaux

Re: South Zone Dove - 09/26/16 07:27 PM

No birds in Brazoria County. Didn't fire a shot opening day and the rain sure didn't help. Decided fishing was a better option and went and put some solid fish in the box. Much more productive. So much for the best year Parks and Wildlife said we would have.
Posted By: hunt91

Re: South Zone Dove - 09/27/16 02:58 AM

Overall it seems like the consensus has been that it is an off year. I hunted our ranch in El Campo which is historically known to hold a hunt able amount of birds when dove season opens. After hunting Friday and Saturday evenings I fired a total of zero shots. And I was hunting goat weed pastures and plowed fields. Not sure where the birds are, but they weren't there! I know the guys close to the city killed birds, but I still heard that it was not the quality of hunting they were accustom to.

NTX guys - How has your season been? Are y'all seeing more birds than normal? Trying to get a grasp on where the birds could be.
Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: South Zone Dove - 09/27/16 09:02 PM

20 of us went to Baffin Bay this weekend, and out of the 20, i think only 4 of us shot limits, pretty slow for us all around!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum