Texas Hunting Forum

I can't believe the prices...

Posted By: Superduty

I can't believe the prices... - 07/23/16 11:23 PM

100-125.00 dollars a day to dove hunt. Man prices have really soared.

I'm gonna keep the shotgun in the safe at this point.

I do have good memories, though.

Carry on.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: I can't believe the prices... - 07/23/16 11:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Superduty

Carry on.

Come on down to my lease after opening weekend!
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: I can't believe the prices... - 07/23/16 11:40 PM

quit whining and pony up, memories !!!
Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: I can't believe the prices... - 07/23/16 11:44 PM

When I lived in TX I had access to some awesome dove hunting property. A farm right outside of Thrall known as the Stiles Farm that A&M used for research. We hunted down by two huge ponds surrounded my corn and grain sorghum fields. We had absolutely phenomenal hunts every single time we went out there. I definitely miss that place.
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: I can't believe the prices... - 07/24/16 12:27 AM

Go get you a season lease Shane, I can send you in the right direction
Posted By: DannyB

Re: I can't believe the prices... - 07/24/16 01:46 AM

The few day leases I have ever been on had way too many hunters on too few acres. I don't want to ever do that again. I have a place or two where I can hunt for free. There may not be a million birds, but we enjoy the outing very much.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: I can't believe the prices... - 07/24/16 03:21 AM

Brownsville will be fun this year cheers

And the Michilatas Girls up

Posted By: dkershen

Re: I can't believe the prices... - 07/24/16 06:05 AM

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbt...fo#Post11722190

This guy on the fishing forum is advertising $30 a day. Might be one of those get what you pay for deals. Or might be a super bargain.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: I can't believe the prices... - 07/24/16 12:41 PM

Can be expensive getting the fields into shape, mowing, discing and fertilizer and such. Have a Dozer guy here now cleaning things up around some fields. My fields are used for Sunflowers and Dove hunting only. I charge $75 a day per person but will probably go up to $100 in a couple of years.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: I can't believe the prices... - 07/24/16 01:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Superduty

Carry on.

Paying that high of price would take all the fun out of it for me
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: I can't believe the prices... - 07/24/16 02:17 PM

Too high for me.
Posted By: Slimpickin

Re: I can't believe the prices... - 07/24/16 02:32 PM

Why pay $50-75 for a field with no Birds? Hunted Stompy's place last few years....never seen so many birds in one place! When you find a good place to hunt, it's worth the money! I only get a few days each year so I'll pay the price for a quality hunt every year.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: I can't believe the prices... - 07/24/16 04:52 PM

$75-$100 seems to be the going rate. I don't have to worry about it but if I didn't have a place to go I'd pay that in a heart beat! At least for a few days during the season.
Posted By: bentman

Re: I can't believe the prices... - 07/24/16 07:36 PM

I charge 50.00 a day. I'm in Coleman i can squeeze you in on opening day only. I have plenty of sunflowers and water.
Posted By: woodduckhunter

Re: I can't believe the prices... - 07/24/16 11:41 PM

really not a bad price for a quality hunt, depending on what youre looking to do. a very good quality duck hunt now will be 225ish-how ever much you want to spend for MAYBE 6 birds. MOST of the time you get what you pay for, but unfortunately there are a few bad apples out there in the guiding/day hunting world.
Posted By: duckboogieman

Re: I can't believe the prices... - 07/25/16 02:44 AM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
Brownsville will be fun this year cheers

Brownsville is good EVERY year. Wish it wasn't so far from DFW.....
Posted By: BigAL33

Re: I can't believe the prices... - 07/25/16 01:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Slimpickin
Why pay $50-75 for a field with no Birds? Hunted Stompy's place last few years....never seen so many birds in one place! When you find a good place to hunt, it's worth the money! I only get a few days each year so I'll pay the price for a quality hunt every year.

What is the contact information for Stompy's place?
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: I can't believe the prices... - 07/25/16 01:44 PM

I paid $300 for a season lease closer to home so me and my boy have a place to hang out before the rut starts. We don't want to disturb our deer this year.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: I can't believe the prices... - 07/25/16 02:07 PM

Originally Posted By: BigAL33
Originally Posted By: Slimpickin

What is the contact information for Stompy's place?

Just so y'all know, I limit the number of hunters every weekend so as not to crowd fields. Right now I'm booked the first 3 weekends.
Posted By: Flock Knocker

Re: I can't believe the prices... - 07/25/16 08:43 PM

We have private season dove leases starting at $200/gun. That's about $2/day, I'm sure this will fit some of your budgets.
Posted By: Erich

Re: I can't believe the prices... - 07/26/16 04:42 PM

There's places that can be had for a lot cheaper. You might have to travel for them some. the $48 texas annual public hunting permit has a lot of property on it for $48 bucks. not all of them are good and not all of them are close to town. naturally the ones closer will see more pressure. I've hunted a lot of property in the south zone though on the public permit that were good dove shoots. shot easy limits. you had to travel and make a weekend out of it, just makes it more of an adventure.

whoever said above too that good property management costs money is right. whether its for dove or deer either one if you're going to put the money and effort into the property to do it right and then sell some hunts....you can't just give them away. its an experience you pay for.
Posted By: passthru

Re: I can't believe the prices... - 07/26/16 11:06 PM

$1000 for the dog. Hundreds of hours in training. Dog food is $50 a bag. A few days a year in a good field watching her work would be a deal for $100 a day but I feel the same way. For dove, it's tough to pay. But I would have to call Stompy for a great deal there. If I didn't have land of my own I could hunt that is.
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: I can't believe the prices... - 07/26/16 11:41 PM

Sniper where in btown do you go im just up the rd by mcallen and elsa
Posted By: skyblaster7274

Re: I can't believe the prices... - 07/27/16 07:22 PM

I have 1200 acres of corn and milo in frost. I change 75 a day, or a 100 for a weekend. Also have season passes for 250 or 2 for 425 and kids 16 and under hunt free. I limit the number of people I have so its never over crowded. If interested give me a call at 903 641 9640
Posted By: Le Général de Canards

Re: I can't believe the prices... - 07/27/16 09:29 PM

Is it usually a daily fee or do some places charge a flat rate for the whole season?
Posted By: skyblaster7274

Re: I can't believe the prices... - 07/27/16 09:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Le Général de Canards
Is it usually a daily fee or do some places charge a flat rate for the whole season?

Most places will usually offer both
Posted By: pervis

Re: I can't believe the prices... - 07/27/16 10:33 PM

If guys are looking to hunt out west I have a place in haskell, it's very good. IL only lease to a small group of guys like 5 and under for a weekend or day,just your group so you have the place to yourself. There's another guy in the classifieds who has places in haskell as well for guys looking to hunt out west if stompy is booked also.
Posted By: Duckhawker

Re: I can't believe the prices... - 07/28/16 12:19 AM

Pervis, I sent you a PM.
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: I can't believe the prices... - 07/28/16 01:54 AM

Originally Posted By: bentman
I charge 50.00 a day. I'm in Coleman i can squeeze you in on opening day only. I have plenty of sunflowers and water.

Coleman was great in 2014- terrible last year- Foard county and further west is the bomb. Market dictates price in everything.
Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: I can't believe the prices... - 07/28/16 11:37 AM

Never thought I'd see a baller like Shane balk at a paltry sum of $125

Shane
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: I can't believe the prices... - 07/28/16 01:12 PM

#meeither

Shane
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: I can't believe the prices... - 07/28/16 02:49 PM

Compared to all those other expenses associated with hunting/fishing $100 doesn't really seem to bad to me. I can't even walk out of Academy with less than $100 of hunting/fishing junk that I didn't need to begin with.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: I can't believe the prices... - 07/28/16 03:37 PM

Nothing's changed except the value of your money.

Tell DC to keep printing it and one day it could be 300.
Posted By: jrs_39

Re: I can't believe the prices... - 07/28/16 09:41 PM

I've got three 40 acre fields just west of Denton. $175 per gun - I limit hunters to a maximum of 6 per acre. Each field produced a limit last year on opening weekend. Not bad - one of the hunters even managed two birds by himself - had to fight two other hunters for the second bird though. Thick outer wear and doubled up shooting glasses recommended.
Posted By: bjh

Re: I can't believe the prices... - 07/28/16 10:45 PM

Originally Posted By: jrs_39
I've got three 40 acre fields just west of Denton. $175 per gun - I limit hunters to a maximum of 6 per acre. Each field produced a limit last year on opening weekend. Not bad - one of the hunters even managed two birds by himself - had to fight two other hunters for the second bird though. Thick outer wear and doubled up shooting glasses recommended.

Well that sounds like a totally stupid amount of people per acre.!!! Hope that was a mistake!!! nidea
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: I can't believe the prices... - 07/29/16 02:08 AM

An acre is 43,560 sq ft. With 6 hunters, that's 7260 sq ft per hunter. That's roughly an 85' square.
Posted By: 68A

Re: I can't believe the prices... - 07/29/16 02:16 AM

Originally Posted By: jrs_39

roflmao
Where do I sign up?
Posted By: jrs_39

Re: I can't believe the prices... - 07/29/16 06:53 PM

My post was obviously a joke. Unfortunately I learned the hard way that it is not too far from reality. I sat in a field briefly last year on opening morning that had at least 6 hunters per acre. After getting sprayed a few times, we headed back to the car. While we were driving off, the game warden showed up. We sat around and watched for a while. Not only was the field way over leased, the guy doing the leasing did not have permisssion from the landowner. The whole thing was a very dangerous scam.
Posted By: bjh

Re: I can't believe the prices... - 08/03/16 12:23 AM

Originally Posted By: poisonivie
An acre is 43,560 sq ft. With 6 hunters, that's 7260 sq ft per hunter. That's roughly an 85' square.

Well I am sorry you did all that hard work, to let the world know how safe hunting the hunting will be. that is too close and only a fool would hunt that close!! nidea
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: I can't believe the prices... - 08/03/16 01:10 PM

Duh! I thought that's what I just calculated for you.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum