Texas Hunting Forum

Topwater

Posted By: 1 Year Wonder

Topwater - 11/16/15 12:45 PM

Just in case yall forgot.

Barney = Topwater

Cue "Sniper John" and "Guy" to continue their man crush on me and explain the historic definition of Topwater and other useless drivel.

Enjoy the crowded public areas gentlemen.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Topwater - 11/16/15 01:33 PM

John is the one that knows all the history. I have my own definition, and it is what it is. In my book, topwater is all the wannabes, duck dynasty crowd. Checkout a ramp this weekend just to see how crowded it was, packed with kids (in their 20's, I call them kids), with their faces all painted, first word that came to my head was topwater.
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: Topwater - 11/16/15 02:03 PM

If you go out to eat breakfast after the hunt and still have on your face paint, waders and duck call lanyard, you might be a topwater.
Posted By: J Loves Huntin

Re: Topwater - 11/16/15 03:40 PM

lol hey not all us twenty somethings are wanna bees lol some of us have hunted since we were kids.... but I know what you mean! unfortunately some of the "new" crowd don't listen because they are surrounded by like minded hard headed friends. But there are some great people mixed in
Posted By: DCtheRev

Re: Topwater - 11/16/15 04:44 PM

every one of us started somewhere... hate that a decade of experience is wasted on some of you.
Posted By: texassippi

Re: Topwater - 11/16/15 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Erichugh22
If you go out to eat breakfast after the hunt and still have on your face paint, waders and duck call lanyard, you might be a topwater.

There is a pretty popular breakfast taco place in town where I live and all the "topwater" folks wear their waders, face paint, calls, ect. into the restaurant and sit there and eat. I just don't get it confused2
Posted By: Flock Knocker

Re: Topwater - 11/16/15 05:10 PM

I think we are missing the important stuff here. How good are the Tacos? and where can I get one? or 5?

Don't judge me its lunch time!
Posted By: yakinthebox

Re: Topwater - 11/16/15 05:37 PM

I must say, I've had breakfast w/ Face paint(smeared by trying to wipe it off) on before but waders and calls? What does that even do for ya?

And, I'll say that I am 28 almost 29 and have been duck hunting for about 8 years now and I also duck hunted before when I was a kid...

When I got back into duck hunting, it was before the DD crowd. I have definitely seen the uptick in idiots out there on the public land where I hunt.
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Topwater - 11/16/15 05:40 PM

What about the guy that only wears his whitey tighteys under his waders

True story
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Topwater - 11/16/15 06:12 PM

But but but we should take all of them under our wing and show them the ropes, give back to the sport, blah blah.

I learned from my dad and granddad so in turn I'm teaching my kids and God willing my grandkids some day. I avoid idiots and dang sure won't ask any of them to hunt with me.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Topwater - 11/16/15 06:17 PM

Oh, u fogot about the super raised f150 with stickers all over, rolling coal in front of the grubshack

Posted By: Dave Speer

Re: Topwater - 11/16/15 06:21 PM

Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop
I avoid idiots and dang sure won't ask any of them to hunt with me.

There goes my invite!
Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: Topwater - 11/16/15 06:26 PM

Every guy that posted on this thread excluding myself and possibly one other is who ol 1 year was referring to.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Topwater - 11/16/15 06:33 PM

Originally Posted By: #Hayraker
Every guy that posted on this thread excluding myself and possibly one other is who ol 1 year was referring to.

What are you the Principle of this High School? I thought you had other students to tend to?
Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: Topwater - 11/16/15 06:36 PM

Lunch break

Re: Topwater - 11/16/15 06:37 PM

Originally Posted By: 1 Year Wonder
Just in case yall forgot.

Barney = Topwater

Cue "Sniper John" and "Guy" to continue their man crush on me and explain the historic definition of Topwater and other useless drivel.

Enjoy the crowded public areas gentlemen.

Yep, you definitely failed at hunting public water. Some people never do figure it out. Maybe you should have stuck with playing with toy planes.
peep
Posted By: garrett

Re: Topwater - 11/16/15 07:03 PM

2 things in life that know for certain...1) never shake a mans hand thats in the porta can business, and 2) do as you do until you just cant do no more
Posted By: Fishuhalik

Re: Topwater - 11/16/15 07:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Ramball36

True story

That's me. Well, at least it's boxers. So yeah, I wear my waders when I go to eat after a hunt and I still have my face paint on. But, unlike you "real" hunters, I'm not scared of a little work for my birds. After I walk for miles through mud, water and anything else in between me and a limit of birds and carry an 80lb bag full of dekes, gun plus (usually) a full strap of birds on the way back, I'm soaked in sweat, I smell like sin and look like crap. Guess I need to shower, put on my skinny jeans and make sure I look pretty like you guys if I wanna be a real hunter. Good thing I've never really cared what other people think of me. If it makes ya feel better, go right ahead & call me a Barney, topwater, or whatever else ya want.

Re: Topwater - 11/16/15 07:46 PM

Ps, if ya wanna make some new hunting partners, wear all your camo & face paint in to lunch bo guarantee, if there's another guy in there that hunts, he'll ask ya how the hunt went. About 2 weeks ago I was at a gas station all camo'ed up & struck up a conversation with another guy filling up his pickup. Turns out he has a ranch with 5000 acres about 5 miles from my shop & no one hunting it. He was kind enough to offer me full hunting rights, free of charge, if I helped him with some chores around the ranch from time to time.
Posted By: Cochise

Re: Topwater - 11/16/15 07:51 PM

Who the &*(% gets in their truck with wet waders on?
Posted By: texassippi

Re: Topwater - 11/16/15 07:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Flock Knocker
I think we are missing the important stuff here. How good are the Tacos? and where can I get one? or 5?

Don't judge me its lunch time!

They are very good. It's Chilso, if you ever venture out of Ellis Co. and are in the Wylie, Rockwall, or Richardson area, getcha some. Pretty good lunch and dinner also.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Topwater - 11/16/15 08:17 PM

Good lord,
Some accredited organization need to build a duckschool and hand out masters and PHD's in 'real hunters diplomas'
Posted By: garrett

Re: Topwater - 11/16/15 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
Some organization need to offer duckschool and hand out masters of 'real hunters diplomas'

Re: Topwater - 11/16/15 08:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Cochise
Who the &*(% gets in their truck with wet waders on?

Look in my truck deep into season and you might want to put your waders on before getting in my truck.
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: Topwater - 11/16/15 08:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishuhalik
Ps, if ya wanna make some new hunting partners, wear all your camo & face paint in to lunch bo guarantee, if there's another guy in there that hunts, he'll ask ya how the hunt went. About 2 weeks ago I was at a gas station all camo'ed up & struck up a conversation with another guy filling up his pickup. Turns out he has a ranch with 5000 acres about 5 miles from my shop & no one hunting it. He was kind enough to offer me full hunting rights, free of charge, if I helped him with some chores around the ranch from time to time.

Did he invite you before or after he found out you didn't wear pants under your waders?
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Topwater - 11/16/15 08:34 PM

True story

That's me. Well, at least it's boxers. So yeah, I wear my waders when I go to eat after a hunt and I still have my face paint on. But, unlike you "real" hunters, I'm not scared of a little work for my birds. After I walk for miles through mud, water and anything else in between me and a limit of birds and carry an 80lb bag full of dekes, gun plus (usually) a full strap of birds on the way back, I'm soaked in sweat, I smell like sin and look like crap. Guess I need to shower, put on my skinny jeans and make sure I look pretty like you guys if I wanna be a real hunter. Good thing I've never really cared what other people think of me. If it makes ya feel better, go right ahead & call me a Barney, topwater, or whatever else ya want.

You got the guys on here wrong. Lots of us do all that work too, just don't give handouts. I ask bunches of questions here and always get good info. Took all the newbie crap like everybody else and weeded through it to get to the good stuff. I even lake named my first few posts.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Topwater - 11/16/15 08:35 PM

True story

Been there! It was too warm to wear anything else uunder the waders.

Re: Topwater - 11/16/15 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Erichugh22

Did he invite you before or after he found out you didn't wear pants under your waders?

I didn't feel the need to share that particular piece of info with him at the moment haha!! If any of you guys have never tried going in your skivvies under your waders, it's awesome. This emoji is very appropriate...if ya catch my drift banana

Re: Topwater - 11/16/15 08:47 PM

What is a Topwater

Back in the early days of the internet regarding duck hunting I saw topwater used on rec hunting and posted on some early forums in the Arkansas and eastern US area, but it never really seemed to catch on around my area and it's use on the internet died out for a while. So though we all know what Barney means, there was still a void in duck hunting slang to describe the seasoned hunter who does the same thing as a Barney. So "Topwater Wonder" came about. A Topwater Wonder would be the "Barney" that has declared himself an experienced hunter and now goes around telling everyone what an awesome hunter he is, e.g. they see themselves as a "Wonder". Wonder is defined in the dictionary as a person who arouses awe and admiration. A Barney is used by most hunters today to describe an inexperienced hunter that unintentionally disrespects and screws up other hunter's hunts. a Topwater Wonder is kind of like a Barney, but different in that though they have years worth of hunting experience they still disrespect other hunters and screw up other hunters hunts. Only now they justify doing so intentionally because to them everyone else on the water is just an inexperienced Barney.
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Topwater - 11/16/15 09:46 PM

TLTR
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Topwater - 11/16/15 11:03 PM

TLTR

Cliff note version:

Barney = Rookie
Topwater = Experienced Jackwagon
Posted By: Spacemonkey

Re: Topwater - 11/17/15 12:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Sniper John
What is a Topwater

Back in the early days of the internet regarding duck hunting I saw topwater used on rec hunting and posted on some early forums in the Arkansas and eastern US area, but it never really seemed to catch on around my area and it's use on the internet died out for a while. So though we all know what Barney means, there was still a void in duck hunting slang to describe the seasoned hunter who does the same thing as a Barney. So "Topwater Wonder" came about. A Topwater Wonder would be the "Barney" that has declared himself an experienced hunter and now goes around telling everyone what an awesome hunter he is, e.g. they see themselves as a "Wonder". Wonder is defined in the dictionary as a person who arouses awe and admiration. A Barney is used by most hunters today to describe an inexperienced hunter that unintentionally disrespects and screws up other hunter's hunts. a Topwater Wonder is kind of like a Barney, but different in that though they have years worth of hunting experience they still disrespect other hunters and screw up other hunters hunts. Only now they justify doing so intentionally because to them everyone else on the water is just an inexperienced Barney.

It's hard not to laugh when you run into guys like that in the field!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum