Texas Hunting Forum

Distance from houses on coastal hunts?

Posted By: brazosboyt

Distance from houses on coastal hunts? - 01/02/15 03:55 PM

I haven't done any coastal hunting in 10+ years. Friend called me and asked me to come help him shoot a bunch of ducks in his backyard on the coast. It's a protected bay behind a neighborhood. You could set up about 100 yards off any houses and shoot toward the bay with no issues. What say the IGW's?
Posted By: GravyWheels

Re: Distance from houses on coastal hunts? - 01/02/15 04:00 PM

Do it....
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Distance from houses on coastal hunts? - 01/02/15 04:12 PM

I had a friend call the other day. He has access to a gravel pit, LOADED with birds. I went to look and declined the invite. It was just too risky. It is long and narrow with houses on bith sides. 150 yards in either direction are the backyards. To top it off, the hojses to the west are all on a private airport. All it would take is one person to claim a pellet hit their kid, house or airplane and game over. I love shokting ducks but I avoid the idiotic public as much as I can.
Posted By: garrett

Re: Distance from houses on coastal hunts? - 01/02/15 04:12 PM

shoot and do what you can afford up
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Distance from houses on coastal hunts? - 01/02/15 04:15 PM

Metrogun

They wont hear a thang
Posted By: txbowhunt7

Re: Distance from houses on coastal hunts? - 01/02/15 07:09 PM

Must be in that nice neighborhood in POC. If so, go for it. Guys hunt there quite a bit and it is definitely loaded with birds
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Distance from houses on coastal hunts? - 01/02/15 08:34 PM

Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
Metrogun

They wont hear a thang

You ever shoot ducks with that thing?
Posted By: Txcatman1

Re: Distance from houses on coastal hunts? - 01/02/15 09:06 PM

1000 ft from any public structure or roadway inside the city limits
Posted By: Txcatman1

Re: Distance from houses on coastal hunts? - 01/02/15 09:25 PM

http://www.caller.com/news/city-of-corpus-christi-addresses-duck-hunting

Here's a pretty good article that explains all the rules of corpus, which I think is the norm for all city limits stuff. Kind of a bummer that so many people started blowing up the island out here, grew up hunting everything he talked about where they banned stuff out here, just through development and careless hunters everything got shut down few years back. I lived right across the street from what is known as the sanctuary, hands down some of the best duck hunting I've ever seen at any time of the day or season, water of the pond would turn lime green because of so much duck poop, you literally would an inch or two of feathers on the waters edge. This was around 98-04. Would walk down the road with a shotgun and a bag of deeks on my back go shoot a limit and come home and get dressed before I had to go to school, did that just about every day of the season for 5 plus years. Very lucky to have grown up where I did when I did. If you fired a shot back there now they'd be on u like white on rice, but anyways 1000ft is pretty much the general rule for those scenarios. That's the #1 issue with gw's and hunters down here, hunting too close to public structure
Posted By: Guy

Re: Distance from houses on coastal hunts? - 01/02/15 10:46 PM

Originally Posted By: garrett
shoot and do what you can afford up

lol
Posted By: Guy

Re: Distance from houses on coastal hunts? - 01/02/15 10:50 PM

Originally Posted By: wal1809
All it would take is one person to claim a pellet hit their kid, house or airplane and game over.

Yep, and we live in a sue happy world now, you can thank all the liberals for that.
Posted By: Fastduck

Re: Distance from houses on coastal hunts? - 01/03/15 01:59 AM

Originally Posted By: wal1809
I had a friend call the other day. He has access to a gravel pit, LOADED with birds. I went to look and declined the invite. It was just too risky. It is long and narrow with houses on bith sides. 150 yards in either direction are the backyards. To top it off, the hojses to the west are all on a private airport. All it would take is one person to claim a pellet hit their kid, house or airplane and game over. I love shokting ducks but I avoid the idiotic public as much as I can.

I'm pretty sure I know where you are taking about with that description.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum