Texas Hunting Forum

Opening Day Pics here.

Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter

Opening Day Pics here. - 11/01/14 08:03 AM

Post your opening day pics here, hope everyone has a good hunt... I know the guys who planned to just show up to the public lake I hunt are in for a rude awakening this morning! Just a hunch though peep
Posted By: BadLander

Re: Opening Day Pics here. - 11/01/14 08:24 AM

Go to sleep ninja?!?!
I heard that too!!!! All waterfowl are under the 21 day (Ebola Quarantine)

Re: Opening Day Pics here. - 11/01/14 08:57 AM

I couldn't sleep tonight if I tried
Posted By: kindall

Re: Opening Day Pics here. - 11/01/14 09:10 AM

Here's mine.
Posted By: pervis

Re: Opening Day Pics here. - 11/01/14 03:03 PM

1st duck hunt! We got 3 green wing teal and 1 big duck. The big duck went under and we weren't able to find him.
Posted By: TxDuck24

Re: Opening Day Pics here. - 11/01/14 03:15 PM

Ruff'ed em up this morning me and another guide hit our 2 man limit at 730 this morning

Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Opening Day Pics here. - 11/01/14 03:23 PM

2 groups 1 bird. Half asleep at Legal. Should have had 3. Very slow here near savoy. Hunted solo w new pup. Low expectations met. They should be here in a day or 2
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Opening Day Pics here. - 11/01/14 03:28 PM

Was awesome
Posted By: TXPride

Re: Opening Day Pics here. - 11/01/14 03:43 PM

Didn't put much effort in this morning, but at least made it out for a little bit before work. Got one wood duck, and pup got his first real retrieve.

Pretty cold north of the Red River...

Cool "Halloween" theme pic a day late.

Posted By: Esh and Hattie

Re: Opening Day Pics here. - 11/01/14 03:57 PM

Good job perv, glad to see you had a successful opener and you stayed away from the water turkeys! cheers

Now put those lil guys in the pan with some butter and garlic pepper and enjoy the real treat of shooting teal!
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Opening Day Pics here. - 11/01/14 04:43 PM

Looks like the reds are in town early
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Opening Day Pics here. - 11/01/14 05:03 PM

Saw 2 teal one Far East and one way too high then had 2 big ducks circle but didn't come in close enough and flew off south. There were shots all around me, but those are the only ones I saw in southmayd then went to Gunter to scout for tomorrow and didn't see one duck in between southmayd and Gunter and none on the 3 pools in Gunter. Although this guy landed about 10 feet from me this morning scared the hell out of me. Guess I was good and camo'd he did see me until I got up to leave.

Posted By: pervis

Re: Opening Day Pics here. - 11/01/14 05:21 PM

Hey eh I was just about to ask how to cook em. Thanks! Yeah I really have to thank the guys on here for helping me. This was my first time out today. Il admit..b4 asking questions on here I thought water turkeys were ducks. I also thought herons were sandhills. I'm learning!
Posted By: mohunter

Re: Opening Day Pics here. - 11/01/14 05:39 PM

No ducks in North Texas.
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Opening Day Pics here. - 11/01/14 05:48 PM

Had a good hunt this morning.

Re: Opening Day Pics here. - 11/01/14 05:49 PM

Yep there are 5001 ways to cook a duck but I like em basic. Cube the breasts to bite size and melt a little butter in the pan, dust them with garlic pepper and dooo noootttt over cook them. Pink in the middle is perfect and you shot some of the best eating duck out there! Don't forget the little strip of meat right by the breastbone, very small on teal, but the mildest meat on the bird. I feel sorry for you now though.. you'll be hooked like the rest of us food
Posted By: Homey da Clown

Re: Opening Day Pics here. - 11/01/14 05:50 PM

3 limits..reds, widg and gwt

good to feel a morning chill again

Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Opening Day Pics here. - 11/01/14 06:14 PM

[quote=pervis]

1st duck hunt! We got 3 green wing teal and 1 big duck. The big duck went under and we weren't able to find him. [quote]

Congrats on a great first hunt!!!! Are you hooked yet?
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Opening Day Pics here. - 11/01/14 06:56 PM

Saw literally a ton of ducks but it was tough getting them to decoy with a huge mob calling at them out in the middle of the pond.

We did manage to work a few doubles and singles over into our spread. I learned a lot today about how we need to hunt this spot.

Posted By: brazosboyt

Re: Opening Day Pics here. - 11/01/14 07:10 PM

Scouted yesterday and had 1 spoonie on my place.

Patterned the new .410. Great pattern with Winchester hv 3/8 oz #6.

Youngest wanted to hunt so we went anyway. Glad we did. Scratched out 24 pretty easy.

Side door gunner.

Really enjoyed the 410. Checked 5 off the list. Absolutely smashed a couple crossing ringer at 30 yards. I'm a believer.

Posted By: Number 1 Barnie

Re: Opening Day Pics here. - 11/01/14 10:49 PM

Got my limit of woodies in the first 2 minutes!!! Unfortunately I didn't see any other species all morning.. left at 9:30
Posted By: phat694

Re: Opening Day Pics here. - 11/02/14 03:19 AM

Posted By: Jeff Elder

Re: Opening Day Pics here. - 11/02/14 04:04 AM

Originally Posted By: brazosboyt
Scouted yesterday and had 1 spoonie on my place.

Patterned the new .410. Great pattern with Winchester hv 3/8 oz #6.

Youngest wanted to hunt so we went anyway. Glad we did. Scratched out 24 pretty easy.

Side door gunner.

Really enjoyed the 410. Checked 5 off the list. Absolutely smashed a couple crossing ringer at 30 yards. I'm a believer.

Dang man when did you brush that blind, In August ? That brush is sure dead for November first. Looks like you got an early start.

Re: Opening Day Pics here. - 11/02/14 05:44 PM

We killed 7 yesterday and 5 today between 3 hunters... Anyone else surprised by how many pintail we have already?
Posted By: Goldenboy30

Re: Opening Day Pics here. - 11/02/14 09:52 PM

Plus 2 BWT and 2 GWT
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Opening Day Pics here. - 11/02/14 10:31 PM

Friend from up north said it wasn't cold in the Dakota so no ducks in texas. Sorry
Posted By: Hooligan

Re: Opening Day Pics here. - 11/02/14 11:18 PM

glad some of y'all made it out. Been here sick with whatever the wife had
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Opening Day Pics here. - 11/03/14 05:19 AM

Great pics.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Opening Day Pics here. - 11/03/14 12:28 PM

congrats
Posted By: garrett

Re: Opening Day Pics here. - 11/03/14 01:49 PM

awesome

Re: Opening Day Pics here. - 11/03/14 04:12 PM

Didn't bother with the morning but got out Saturday evening. Wife forgot to get her permits in time confused so she was manning the jerk cord, rather skillfully I might add! 5 bwt and the first greenhead in 2 years, good hunt!
Posted By: _Scooter_

Re: Opening Day Pics here. - 11/03/14 05:13 PM

^^^ popcorn popcorn popcorn scratch
Posted By: Dfwguy

Re: Opening Day Pics here. - 11/03/14 08:03 PM

bolt
Posted By: john paul

Re: Opening Day Pics here. - 11/03/14 11:54 PM

5 limits Saturday and 6 limits Sunday. Probably 60/20 teal and ringnecks with a few spoonies, gadwall, wood ducks and gray ducks. We donated all the ring necks to an Asian guy who lives by my buddy. He is probably feasting on Peking ringneck right now.

Posted By: _Scooter_

Re: Opening Day Pics here. - 11/04/14 12:42 PM

Originally Posted By: john paul
We donated all the ring necks to an Asian guy who lives by my buddy. He is probably feasting on Peking ringneck right now.

barf flush
Posted By: TXBOWHUNTER!

Re: Opening Day Pics here. - 11/05/14 02:21 AM

saturday was a bust had 1 duck fly by. sunday took my dad out and we smacked them.2 limits mix of GWT & BWT
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum