Texas Hunting Forum

Cranes On the Move

Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Cranes On the Move - 10/19/14 12:07 AM

Sitting in the deer blind all afternoon without much luck. Have heard 5-6 different groups of Sandhills way up there. It's gettin to be that time boys (and girls)!
Posted By: FWBanger

Re: Cranes On the Move - 10/19/14 01:40 AM

Great. Give them directions to Newcastle!
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Cranes On the Move - 10/19/14 02:27 AM

Been seeing some for the past couple of weeks.
Posted By: thefish

Re: Cranes On the Move - 10/19/14 03:11 AM

I don't think they will have a problem finding Newcastle. They aren't far.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Cranes On the Move - 10/19/14 11:22 AM

I'd love to get on a sandhill hunt. Never have
Posted By: kry226

Re: Cranes On the Move - 10/19/14 12:52 PM

I'm usually covered in them come November but the last couple of years have been spotty. Sounds like my shotgun may actually get some use at deer camp this year. But they have eyes like no water fowl I've ever known. bang
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Cranes On the Move - 10/19/14 09:14 PM

Out at my lease Friday and saw a half dozen or so. They usually pound my wheat field from Nov on.
Posted By: Javelin225ho

Re: Cranes On the Move - 10/20/14 10:18 PM

so, i have had them fly over me and nothing low enough to get a shot. what do you guys shoot them with? My buddies tell me to use buckshot, but these birds are so high, i doubt it would work. Also, what do you do to get them lower? are you guys setting up around water, wheat fields? I hear they are awesome to eat…and i want to try one
Posted By: kry226

Re: Cranes On the Move - 10/21/14 01:31 PM

I typically use the goose rounds I already have: 3.5" BBBs or maybe even Ts. In HeaviShot I have some 2s I'll use. I also pass shoot them as I don't have any decoys. I am fortunate enough to have a field to my north that they loaf in so when they're coming from water to the field over my place, they are often low enough to be in shooting range.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum