Texas Hunting Forum

Tinitus from hunting dove

Posted By: thecytochromec

Tinitus from hunting dove - 09/08/14 03:58 PM

I think I really messed my left ear up Saturday. It's ringing still after hunting dove with an 18" 870 (all I have). I was told by the other hunters that hearing protection wasn't needed. It was also my first time hunting so I took their word and rolled with it. It seems like it's gotten better over the past day but I'm worried that it won't go away. I really really wish I had used ear plugs anyways. Anyone have this experience?
Posted By: oilag

Re: Tinitus from hunting dove - 09/08/14 04:00 PM

I did opening day - I was worried sick as well. Mine went away for the most part after about 5 days. Good luck, I know how bad that feeling is.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Tinitus from hunting dove - 09/08/14 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By: thecytochromec
I think I really messed my left ear up Saturday. It's ringing still after hunting dove with an 18" 870 (all I have). I was told by the other hunters that hearing protection wasn't needed. It was also my first time hunting so I took their word and rolled with it. It seems like it's gotten better over the past day but I'm worried that it won't go away. I really really wish I had used ear plugs anyways. Anyone have this experience?

If its an 870 12 gauge go to www.metrogun.com and buy the extension together with federal 1 1/8 ounce metrofield load from rogers online.
That combination will reduce noise and recoil by 80%
Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter

Re: Tinitus from hunting dove - 09/08/14 04:06 PM

it should go away, but i recommend wearing some kind of hearing protection. I never did and after years of hunting without it my right ear began to ring and hasn't ever stopped. Never been tested but i know i've lost a considerable amount of hearing in that ear.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Tinitus from hunting dove - 09/08/14 05:09 PM

Eye and ear protection should always be worn - hearing nerve damage is cumulative and can't be 'undone'.

'I was told by the other hunters ' will get you in trouble all the time.

Re: Tinitus from hunting dove - 09/08/14 05:26 PM

Yeah I can see that I wasn't given the best advice. I am definitely taking plugs next time. I keep walking around trying to listen to things. I literally can't hear my turbocharger in my left ear. It's like I'm missing out on life.
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Tinitus from hunting dove - 09/08/14 06:18 PM

Always wear the soft ear plugs. It is not worth the hearing lose. I only have about 20% hearing in my left ear from shooting to many years without them.
Posted By: Zach Caudle

Re: Tinitus from hunting dove - 09/08/14 07:19 PM

Invested in a pair of electronic headphones last year before season. Best purchase Ive ever made.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Tinitus from hunting dove - 09/08/14 07:37 PM

It only takes one mistake and you will be like me. Steady buzz 24/7 from Tinnitus. Drives me crazy when it's quiet around me. Sounds like a high electronic beep that never ends. wtf
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Tinitus from hunting dove - 09/08/14 07:50 PM

Use the ear protection by all means. In my case I have the constant ringing, loss of hearing in the left ear and at times what sounds like a helicopter roar.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Tinitus from hunting dove - 09/08/14 09:02 PM

I don't mind the ringing so much, but I hate the fact that if I'm around a lot of noises I can't pick any one of them out. Not very handy for trying to talk to women back in the single days in a loud crowded bar.

The electronic ones are great. I use them during duck season but they're way too hot for dove hunting. Windy days will drive you nuts though.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Tinitus from hunting dove - 09/08/14 09:15 PM

Originally Posted By: bobcat1
It only takes one mistake and you will be like me. Steady buzz 24/7 from Tinnitus. Drives me crazy when it's quiet around me. Sounds like a high electronic beep that never ends. wtf
Yep, I can attest to the one mistake part. Fortunately its just one ear, but it still sucks.
Posted By: rdh1

Re: Tinitus from hunting dove - 09/08/14 09:33 PM

When I was in my late 20's I took my first hearing test. The person told me I had ringing in the ear and I thought everyone heard the ringing. WRONG
at 54 I still have ringing in the ear
and I try my best to always wear ear plugs of some kind while shooting a gun
Posted By: Kung Fu Widgeon

Re: Tinitus from hunting dove - 09/08/14 09:44 PM

I never hunt with hearing protection and I have never gotten tinnitus from hunting.
Posted By: Spence

Re: Tinitus from hunting dove - 09/09/14 12:05 AM

I had it for 6 months to a year and finally it went away. I had a rough time with it and now my ear is ultra sensitive. Hope you feel better.
Posted By: Poke81

Re: Tinitus from hunting dove - 09/09/14 01:42 AM

You may not need Ear pro for your shooting but people shooting next to you will make it where you need it. It may not be cool but who cares in 15 years when your still not cool and you cannot hear [censored]!

I am 33ish. I was in Armor (Abrams) in the military and am around 90-95% deaf in one ear and 25% in the other. Tinnitus that would drive you up the wall. Especially when it gets super quiet. It cracks me up when I hear people that I work with complain because their AR is so loud they need ear pro.
Posted By: TTUGrad08

Re: Tinitus from hunting dove - 09/09/14 02:07 AM

I have posted these before but I have been uding them for the last couple years and really like them:

http://www.surefire.com/tactical-equipment/hearing-protection.html

You can still hear enough to have conversations. The pair i have cost under $20.
Posted By: muddyz

Re: Tinitus from hunting dove - 09/09/14 03:12 AM

They sell those Surefire ones at Walmart.
Posted By: Luke27

Re: Tinitus from hunting dove - 09/09/14 03:27 AM

Feel your pain, Marine Artillery here and those 155mm howitzers will leave yer ears a ringin!
Posted By: oneshotlu

Re: Tinitus from hunting dove - 09/09/14 04:30 PM

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Tactical-Behind...peltor+tactical

I am rarely caught without these... I think we've all made the mistake of not wearing hearing protection one time or another.
Posted By: bhunter

Re: Tinitus from hunting dove - 09/09/14 05:26 PM

If its to loud your to old, rock on!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Tinitus from hunting dove - 09/09/14 10:40 PM

18" barrel will be interesting. Normal length barrels are good to go.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Tinitus from hunting dove - 09/10/14 12:55 AM

Originally Posted By: ElkSlayer
I never hunt with hearing protection and I have never gotten tinnitus from hunting.

Count your blessings...as time passes that will change if your habits don't.
Posted By: D Red Raider

Re: Tinitus from hunting dove - 09/10/14 02:23 AM

Always always always wear hearing protection when shooting a gun. I'm mid 50's with profound hearing loss as a result, primarily, from shooting a variety of guns from teen years into my late 20's without protection. I'm paying the price now. The price is: hearing aids (poor substitute for natural sound, and expensive to buy); inability to converse in many situations which makes it hard to be included in conversations, etc.... It's a big regret that I have. Listen to me now, or you won't be able to hear me later!!!

Re: Tinitus from hunting dove - 09/10/14 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: jdk1985
18" barrel will be interesting. Normal length barrels are good to go.

Yeah, 18" barrels really mess you up. I didn't realize that I was damaging them because after the first shot they all just sound muffled. It's gotten slightly better but the tinnitus is still there and I can't hear out of either ear as well as I used to. There were so many higher frequencies that I'm missing out on that I know exist. F.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Tinitus from hunting dove - 09/10/14 07:07 PM

I got tinnitus from my first dove hunt 20 years ago. You'll get used to it but it never goes away.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Tinitus from hunting dove - 09/11/14 04:31 AM

I have had the ringing since an explosion in 1968, it never ends, but sometimes it gets louder. If nothing else get some of the foam plugs, in a pinch even filtered cigarette butts are better then nothing. I have driven a to the gate of our place only to realize that I did not have hearing protection, went back to the closest convenience store and bought a pack of the cheapest filtered cigarettes they had to plug my ears.
Posted By: oilag

Re: Tinitus from hunting dove - 09/11/14 11:40 AM

Go see an audiologist. He/she can do some testing and will be able to answer all of your questions much better than us. I had incident on opening day and went yesterday - really glad I did.
Posted By: Budroux2w

Re: Tinitus from hunting dove - 09/12/14 05:16 AM

At least i'm not the only one in this boat. I'm 31 and have always had hearing problems in one ear due to chronic ear infections when I was a child. The big factor to my hearing loss would have to be shooting way too many guns without hearing protection when I was in my teens.

I got electronic hearing protection recently and I was trying them out at home, my wife was talking to me and I told her she didn't have to yell... her reply "that's my normal volume talking to you".

As far as the ringing and the guys saying they've never had issues... I didn't either until one shot. I remember that shot, ears muffed up and I had really loud ringing in my ears for about 12 hours. Ever since then the ringing has still been there, just not always as loud. It just takes one time.

Re: Tinitus from hunting dove - 09/12/14 07:15 PM

Yup... still ringing. My left ear is significantly worse than my right, but my right isn't even 100% anymore. Yeah, NEVER SKIP EAR PROTECTION.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum