Texas Hunting Forum

How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods?

Posted By: C.J.

How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 08/27/14 05:32 PM

Here in Breckenridge, TX the doves are flying, but sparsely, hoping this picks up for next weekend. My buddy in Kansas says it is completely dead up there, disappointed. Anyone else care to share?
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 08/27/14 06:05 PM

Slower then the slowest slow
Posted By: T Bone

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 08/27/14 06:08 PM

Not even seeing much in the corn fields we've cut the past 10 days & some of the freeze damaged low spots have 8-9' high sunflowers..
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 08/27/14 06:15 PM

Pretty slow. I did see a few more birds this morning but if we get any of the rain they are predicting for this weekend I am sure those will be gone too.

I will take the rain and hunt them in October!

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 08/27/14 07:28 PM

Well, that's depressing. Let's hope by some miracle it picks up for next weekend.
Posted By: Aggieduck

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 08/27/14 07:39 PM

I went out and saw 2/3 of the birds I had been seeing which was already 1/2 of what I saw before the opener last year
Posted By: Gdogg

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 08/27/14 07:39 PM

Not to worry. When opening gets here they will get all stirred up and be flying like crazy. At least that's what the land owner told me....... confused2
Posted By: rdh1

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 08/27/14 08:22 PM

not
Posted By: duckboy007

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 08/27/14 08:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Gdogg
Not to worry. When opening gets here they will get all stirred up and be flying like crazy. At least that's what the land owner told me....... confused2

Lol, heard that one before.
Posted By: garrett

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 08/27/14 08:43 PM

and I stand by that statement...remember its cash only, no check when you get here

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 08/27/14 08:48 PM

Originally Posted By: duckboy007

The first lease I ever got on was about 20 years ago. Me, a friend and the landowner drove the fields about 5pm and did not see squat. The landowner says, when everyone starts shooting the birds will go in every direction. Well they missed a direction. I will never forget those words again. So if you hear it.

bs bs bs
Posted By: sling

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 08/27/14 08:50 PM

Shooting isn't going to create more birds....but it can pay off hunting in a spot that might not look great today...some place where there are fewer hunters....because they're going to ultimately try to find a place where they aren't getting shot at.

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 08/27/14 09:03 PM

Originally Posted By: sling
Shooting isn't going to create more birds....but it can pay off hunting in a spot that might not look great today...some place where there are fewer hunters....because they're going to ultimately try to find a place where they aren't getting shot at.

I gonna go out on a limb and say shooting is going to decrease the bird count. elmer grin

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 08/27/14 09:15 PM

Sure...

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 08/27/14 09:17 PM

Originally Posted By: sling

Makes a beautiful story, but Not buying it,

Ill go to the lease were there is 300 birds on it now.

Im studying their flight path thats all. Takes 10 min.

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 08/27/14 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By: duckboy007

The first lease I ever got on was about 20 years ago. Me, a friend and the landowner drove the fields about 5pm and did not see squat. The landowner says, when everyone starts shooting the birds will go in every direction. Well they missed a direction. I will never forget those words again. So if you hear it.

bs bs bs

The landowner is more worried about the dough, not the dove. He dont care less.
Never seen a landowner with a gun hunting on his property. EVER!

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 08/27/14 09:20 PM

Originally Posted By: garrett

and I stand by that statement...remember its cash only, no check when you get here

Excellent! rofl
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 08/27/14 09:38 PM

Flying pretty good, here. Nothing exceptional, but plenty for a few limits.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 08/27/14 09:44 PM

Slower than I've seen it this time of year in a long time.
Posted By: Western

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 08/27/14 10:13 PM

I drove 36 miles round trip to town (decatur) No C^it, I saw 1....Thats a 1

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 08/27/14 10:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Western

I saw that same one.

Opening day will be a disaster in n texas

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 08/27/14 10:36 PM

Oh dear. If everyone could post up their city with their report that would be useful.

Usually I'd say let's check with some of the okies as to what's coming down our way, but I don't know any myself (do they have the internet there?). But, Kansas doesn't look good.

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 08/27/14 10:49 PM

Stormline will hit Ok, kansas and parts of N Texas on friday morning from west to east.

Will be interesting to see what it does.

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 08/27/14 10:59 PM

Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
Stormline will hit Ok, kansas and parts of N Texas on friday morning from west to east.

Will be interesting to see what it does.

Well, if rain is what they want to avoid, Texas is probably their best bet smile
Posted By: slimjim

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 08/27/14 11:02 PM

Doves are super thick down in College Station.

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 08/27/14 11:06 PM

It seems that the doves are heavy south of us, San Antonio, College Station - I keep hearing reports of big numbers, but nothing up here. Did they fly early?
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 08/27/14 11:06 PM

Hardly anything flying here. I saw a group lined up on the fence line earlier. I am hoping to sneak up on that group and get a skillet shot on Monday. food
Posted By: udamdan

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 08/27/14 11:09 PM

Woodson is good .

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 08/27/14 11:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Western

I saw that same one.

Opening day will be a disaster in n texas

we'll have to split it!

3-4 weeks ago, we had more dove here, than I've seen in a couple of years. Moved out maybe a week+ ago confused2

Most the ponds around me are dry, or mud holes, may all be closer to area lakes?

I'm in S.W.Wise County 1/2 mile from the Parker co line.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 08/27/14 11:43 PM

Kinda' sketchy in the Waco area. The closer to town you can get the better. The South side of loop-340 looked decent today on the way home, but not what I'd call good by any means. With all this negativity, I may question the "first limit pic" posted at 7:05 Monday morning. I want to see Monday's newspaper in the pic. lol

edited to add: OK, I'd settle for Sunday's front page. We don't all pass a news stand on the way out.
Posted By: udamdan

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 08/28/14 12:19 AM

Young County is Great
Posted By: Espy

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 08/28/14 12:36 AM

Between waco and Temple the birds are ok nothing to get excited about. Hope the cool front(high of 95) brings them in.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 08/28/14 12:39 AM

Originally Posted By: C.J.
Oh dear. If everyone could post up their city with their report that would be useful.

Usually I'd say let's check with some of the okies as to what's coming down our way, but I don't know any myself (do they have the internet there?). But, Kansas doesn't look good.

Winters. I can see a limit's worth from the front porch. On my property, they fly pretty steady most of the day. You can't walk or drive through the mesquites 20 yards without busting a few birds from the trees. Bunch of local birds, I'm sure. Hopefully they stick around. If a front pushes them out, I'm sure the migratories will take a few days to hit the wheat field real well.
Posted By: Ron H

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 08/28/14 12:58 AM

I saw 6-8 white wings in my front yard this morning in Dallas. We only have mourning dove at the lease in Palo Pinto.
Posted By: Finfeathernfurr

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 08/28/14 02:22 AM

Wow I am shocked at the reports I went fishing at the private Lakes Sunday in mills co. and birds were everywhere morning and the white wing.

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 08/28/14 03:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Ron H
I saw 6-8 white wings in my front yard this morning in Dallas. We only have mourning dove at the lease in Palo Pinto.

Just a few miles to the west in Breckenridge that's usually what I get. A few white wings work their way in there, but that's it.

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 08/29/14 04:52 AM

OK, this is weird, Looked out the door this afternoon to see if there where ay dove at the bird feeder, there was one!1 it was a whitewing! If it comes back I will try to get a cell photo. I knew they where her in the winter the last few years, but WTH? Wonder if my place is slipp'n South!
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 08/29/14 01:55 PM

I have a couple flocks of white wings hanging out behind my house in 2 trees right now
Posted By: Texaslawman

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 08/31/14 07:35 AM

[quote=Gdogg][quote=duckboy007][quote=Gdogg]

The landowner is more worried about the dough, not the dove. He dont care less.
Never seen a landowner with a gun hunting on his property. EVER!

Because landowners that hunt do not let just everyone on their property.
Posted By: HuntFish512

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 08/31/14 06:10 PM

Ill be hunting in liberty hill near cr 200 on a buddies place they have been flying pretty thick for thebkast few weeks. We usually get a lot of local birds the first few days
Posted By: cthunter

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 08/31/14 11:45 PM

I'll be out in Bertram hunting for the first time in 10 years! Birds have been there but I've never scouted the morning time. Plenty of sunflowers and water, just have to find the birds.

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 09/03/14 05:42 PM

My friend on the lease in breckenridge limited out in an hour. So they are flying west of the metroplex.
Posted By: quickerNu

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 09/03/14 07:32 PM

Bell County around the Lampasas River, first opening day when I never fired a shot. Friends on Ft Hood Said they limited out....?
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 09/03/14 08:45 PM

Slowest its been in forever.
Posted By: Ben Lilly

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 09/03/14 08:48 PM

We're not shooting limits but it beats waiting on the season to start.
Posted By: Espy

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 09/03/14 11:11 PM

hunted one spot south of waco and wasnt very good moved about 2 miles down the road to a tank and the birds were flying thick in small groups.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: How are the birds flying in your neck of the woods? - 09/04/14 05:26 AM

Hit or miss.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum