Texas Hunting Forum

Snakes in the dove field....

Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Snakes in the dove field.... - 08/27/14 01:44 AM

are sooooo cuddly!

Some of y'all goons would've emptied a magazine on it and told everybody you killed a 6 foot copperhead.

Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter

Re: Snakes in the dove field.... - 08/27/14 01:47 AM

Originally Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Some of y'all goons would've emptied a magazine on it and told everybody you killed a 6 foot copperhead.

Probably rifle

Re: Snakes in the dove field.... - 08/27/14 01:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Arise.Kill.Eat.

Probably rifle

Arise.Kill.Exaggerate.
Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter

Re: Snakes in the dove field.... - 08/27/14 02:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Arise.Kill.Eat.

Probably rifle

Arise.Kill.Exaggerate.
roflmao
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Snakes in the dove field.... - 08/27/14 02:13 AM

That one would have lived, but I wouldn't pick it up
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Snakes in the dove field.... - 08/27/14 03:39 AM

It would have lived. I would be too busy retrieving my dog after he ran off.
Posted By: Humannpower

Re: Snakes in the dove field.... - 08/27/14 04:11 AM

Posted By: sling

Re: Snakes in the dove field.... - 08/27/14 04:47 AM

I would have only taken 1 shot, and I would have said it was 4 and a half feet....gotta keep it plausible here.

Re: Snakes in the dove field.... - 08/27/14 05:02 AM

Originally Posted By: sling
I would have only taken 1 shot, and I would have said it was 4 and a half feet....gotta keep it plausible here.

roflmao

Man, I wish I had never told him about your quail. Now all I hear is Daddy can we go see the quail, Daddy can I hold a quail, Daddy does he have any baby quail, do you think he'll let me pet one???? That boy is an animal nut.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Snakes in the dove field.... - 08/27/14 06:16 AM

Never trust a snake.

Re: Snakes in the dove field.... - 08/27/14 11:42 AM

Originally Posted By: sling

roflmao

Man, I wish I had never told him about your quail. Now all I hear is Daddy can we go see the quail, Daddy can I hold a quail, Daddy does he have any baby quail, do you think he'll let me pet one???? That boy is an animal nut.

We can let him in the run....good luck catching one though....took me a while to catch the 4 that we ate the other day!
Posted By: Duckhawker

Re: Snakes in the dove field.... - 08/27/14 01:28 PM

Love it. Good to see y'all enjoying nature in all its forms.
Posted By: Jobst

Re: Snakes in the dove field.... - 08/27/14 01:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
Never trust a snake.

x2

Re: Snakes in the dove field.... - 08/27/14 01:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Jobst
Never trust a snake.

x2

It doesn't have anything to do with trust. You just have to know their limitations. That snake couldn't break the skin on a grape. My son's box turtle would do alot more damage if it ever decided to bite.
Posted By: Dfwguy

Re: Snakes in the dove field.... - 08/27/14 01:55 PM

Never trust a snake.

x2

It doesn't have anything to do with trust. You just have to know their limitations. That snake couldn't break the skin on a grape. My son's box turtle would do alot more damage if it ever decided to bite.

That's one way to look at it.

On the other hand, what if you misjudged it and it can? They are just bad news IMHO
Posted By: Jobst

Re: Snakes in the dove field.... - 08/27/14 01:58 PM

Small snakes grow up to become big snakes that make more snakes.
Posted By: Adam O

Re: Snakes in the dove field.... - 08/27/14 02:01 PM

Sure would have.

Re: Snakes in the dove field.... - 08/27/14 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: dfwguy
Never trust a snake.

x2

That's one way to look at it.

On the other hand, what if you misjudged it and it can? They are just bad news IMHO

That is a juvenile Texas rat snake (elaphe obsoleta). It's teeth are damn near microscopic and it's bite force would be measured in grams, not ounces and certainly not pounds. It would be a physical impossibility for it to harm a person in any way. There is nothing about that little snake that is bad news, in my educated opinion.

Posted By: Duckhawker

Re: Snakes in the dove field.... - 08/27/14 02:29 PM

It's pretty easy to educate yourself about venomous vs. nonvenomous snakes. All it takes is a little time and effort. Most people put far more effort into watching trash TV than they do learning about things in the real world, so I don't have much sympathy for anyone who says, "But what if you make a mistake?" It's not an easy mistake to make, you just have to do what hunters should do: observe, learn, analyze.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Snakes in the dove field.... - 08/27/14 02:34 PM

Good snake

Re: Snakes in the dove field.... - 08/27/14 02:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Good snake

cheers

Re: Snakes in the dove field.... - 08/27/14 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: UTAhunter
It's pretty easy to educate yourself about venomous vs. nonvenomous snakes. All it takes is a little time and effort. Most people put far more effort into watching trash TV than they do learning about things in the real world, so I don't have much sympathy for anyone who says, "But what if you make a mistake?" It's not an easy mistake to make, you just have to do what hunters should do: observe, learn, analyze.

It's amazing how many people can identify every species of duck in the western hemisphere, can tell the difference between a '67 and a '68 Camaro and tell you every movie Clint Eastwood ever played in, but when it comes to something as important as being able to identify a venomous snake, they forget to pay their Google bill. confused2
Posted By: kdub

Re: Snakes in the dove field.... - 08/27/14 03:04 PM

Gotta watch out. I bumped into a 5 ft Timber Rattler last year just North of DFW. In tall grass near a woodline.
Posted By: Sharc

Re: Snakes in the dove field.... - 08/27/14 03:59 PM

walking
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Snakes in the dove field.... - 08/27/14 03:59 PM

Cool! I'd much rather see someone who enjoys the native wildlife without feeling the need to kill it. Snakes get a bad rap, some deserved, most, not.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Snakes in the dove field.... - 08/27/14 05:26 PM

I'll kill him quicker than a minnow can swim a dipper.
Posted By: rowdydog1

Re: Snakes in the dove field.... - 08/27/14 07:15 PM

It may not be venomous but it can still give me a heart attack.

Re: Snakes in the dove field.... - 08/27/14 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By: rowdydog1
It may not be venomous but it can still give me a heart attack.

That's my problem...I had shot a dove a couple years ago and about the time I fired a snake moved, maybe 18 inches from my leg....first double of the season!

I try to keep them off of my property...the short grass and the chickens do a good job of that.
Posted By: RebelRouser

Re: Snakes in the dove field.... - 08/27/14 07:55 PM

If it slithers it dies. Ok maybe I'm not that harsh. But I do hate snakes. We kill copperheads at our dove and duck spot every year.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Snakes in the dove field.... - 08/27/14 07:58 PM

That is a juvenile Texas rat snake (elaphe obsoleta). It's teeth are damn near microscopic and it's bite force would be measured in grams, not ounces and certainly not pounds. It would be a physical impossibility for it to harm a person in any way. There is nothing about that little snake that is bad news, in my educated opinion.

...which turns into an adult Texas Rat Snake. I got bit on the ankle by one a few years ago. Wasn't pleasant and skeered the piss out of me. bolt

Re: Snakes in the dove field.... - 08/27/14 08:14 PM

...which turns into an adult Texas Rat Snake. I got bit on the ankle by one a few years ago. Wasn't pleasant and skeered the piss out of me. bolt

You probably piss at least twice a day whether you're scared or not. Don't blame the snake.
roflmao
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Snakes in the dove field.... - 08/28/14 01:01 AM

Kill 'em all. Let God sort 'em out.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Snakes in the dove field.... - 08/28/14 03:55 AM

Another snake lover thread. hammer
Posted By: Budroux2w

Re: Snakes in the dove field.... - 08/28/14 05:37 AM

You probably piss at least twice a day whether you're scared or not. Don't blame the snake.
roflmao

cheers
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum