Texas Hunting Forum

How do y'all cook dove?

Posted By: Gone to Texas

How do y'all cook dove? - 08/26/14 05:24 PM

With the special day right around the corner, I was curious as to how people prepare these tasty birds.

Last year I just did the ol method of stuffing a deboned breast in half a jalapeno with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon.

Another buddy of mine uses American cheese, and I also know a guy who uses pimento cheese. However, all the recipes I have heard of involve bacon and jalapenos.

Y'all do anything different?
Posted By: Ben Lilly

Re: How do y'all cook dove? - 08/26/14 05:34 PM

I like dove enchiladas
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: How do y'all cook dove? - 08/26/14 05:39 PM

deboned and sauted in jalapeno jelly.
Posted By: Aggieduck

Re: How do y'all cook dove? - 08/26/14 05:58 PM

Dove and dumpling soup. Take your favorite chicken and dumplings recipe and sub in dove.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: How do y'all cook dove? - 08/26/14 06:07 PM

Going to try sautéing up some deboned breasts in butter and cajun seasoning ...then toss em in some Zatarans rice. Maybe with some sausage or shrimp as well.
Posted By: sling

Re: How do y'all cook dove? - 08/26/14 06:15 PM

I have some quail in a run in my backyard....after they lay me some eggs I'll butcher some of them, and I'm thinking about stuffing the inside with bits of bacon and dove breast fillets. I think it'll be awesome!
Posted By: Navasot

Re: How do y'all cook dove? - 08/26/14 06:15 PM

with a stick over a fire!
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: How do y'all cook dove? - 08/26/14 06:18 PM

dove ceviche and sashimi with a rasorblade
Posted By: Jobst

Re: How do y'all cook dove? - 08/26/14 06:53 PM

Wow beaversnipe thats .........uh.......different. Let me know how that turns out.

I know I will be looking for some new ways this year.
Posted By: BigAL33

Re: How do y'all cook dove? - 08/26/14 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Aggieduck
Dove and dumpling soup. Take your favorite chicken and dumplings recipe and sub in dove.

I gotta try this!
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: How do y'all cook dove? - 08/26/14 08:26 PM

When I was a kid my grandma used to pick them whole and fry them in an iron skillet. After doves are done, add milk, salt, pepper, and flour to make a white gravy. Then add the doves back in and simmer til they fell off the bone.

I got the recipe from my aunt (her daughter) a few years ago. Takes a while but I try to do that at least once a season when I'm not in a hurry.
Posted By: udamdan

Re: How do y'all cook dove? - 08/26/14 11:25 PM

Here's a Few for ya !

Dove Carnitas

Boneless dove breasts boiled/sautéed in tomato sauce , onions , cilantro ,garlic , cheeder cheese and taco seasoning grin

Served with rice , beans & flour tortillas
up

Maple Bacon & Poblano Pepper Dove

Ingredients:

22 boneless dove breast
Hormel Black Label Maple Bacon
1 Tbs of worcestershire sauce
Durkee Steak Dust
1 sliced & seedless Poblano Pepper
toothpics

Wrap & then Marinate boneless dove breasts in worcestershire & steak dust overnite :Grin :

Cooking Directions:

Cook on a charcoal grill till they are sizzlin , then place in the 350F oven for another 15-20 minutes !

Serve them up with a favorite side like some mexican cilontro rice .

Enjoy :food :

Buffalo Dove Breast

Ingredients (per 6 doves)

6 dove breasts
2 eggs
1/2 cup of milk
1 cup of flour
1 qt of Canola oil
Buffalo wing sauce

Preheat oil in a small sauce pan to 350F,

Mix the eggs & milk together then roll in the flour .

Deep fry till golden brown, remove and pour in your favorite buffalo wing sauce let sit for 5 minutes.

Serve with celery, bleu cheese or ranch dressing along with chedder cheese fries cheers

up
Posted By: _Lee

Re: How do y'all cook dove? - 08/27/14 01:42 AM

Gonna have to try the buffalo ones udaman that looks good
Posted By: Western

Re: How do y'all cook dove? - 08/27/14 02:24 AM

Originally Posted By: _Lee

Dam srt8!! Made me hungry looking at them LOL

I have fried them the same way, with bit a of seasoning in the flour. Great with mashed potatoes, brown gravy, wild rice, a veggie, a few lead pellets and dinner rolls. up
Posted By: GigEmAggies

Re: How do y'all cook dove? - 08/27/14 01:41 PM

This is the only way I will cook em.....I started really chasing dove once I found this recipe.

Hot Fried Dove
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: How do y'all cook dove? - 08/27/14 02:30 PM

WOW, some awesome recipes on here!
Posted By: Navasot

Re: How do y'all cook dove? - 08/27/14 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: BigAL33
Originally Posted By: Aggieduck

I gotta try this!

Do the same thing with swamp rabbits!
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: How do y'all cook dove? - 08/27/14 06:02 PM

Deboned. Place a pickled jalepeno slice between the boneless lobes with a piece of thin swiss cheese.
Wrap with hickory or applewood smoked bacon, raw.

Skewer with bell pepper pieces, onion, mushroom, even pineapple. Whatever you like.

Drizzle lightly with Elgin Bar B Q sauce.

Grill over hickory or charcoal for 12-14 minutes, turning occasionally.
Seasoned rice on the side.

Cold beer in hand.
Posted By: MBraun

Re: How do y'all cook dove? - 08/27/14 07:00 PM

Fried
Posted By: PMK

Re: How do y'all cook dove? - 08/27/14 10:02 PM

all the above ... one that I grew up on that my mother used be the only way I knew to eat dove the first 18 years of my life, was German fry (or that's what we called it anyway)... breast out the dove (no plunking here) bone-in, rinse in water to remove external blood & left over feathers, let soak in water while prepping, pat dry on dish towel (or paper towel these days). Put a couple tablespoons all purpose flour in a plate or bowl, salt & black pepper, Dip whole breast (bone in) in sweet milk, roll in flour mixture, cast iron skillet with a little oil/grease (enough to lightly cover the bottom) over low to low medium heat, place floured doves in grease, place close but not touching, place lid on skillet, about 8-10 minutes, remove lid, flip doves to other side, replace lid, cook another 8-10 minutes until flour turns golden brown to dark golden brown, move to plate, serve hot ... with homemade skillet fries (cooked similar method), cream gravy (made in dove skillet with dredges)... eat em off the bone ... probably eaten over a thousand like this, my still preferred method over all the others including bacon wrapped, jalapeno stuffed smoked/grilled... could do similar by filleting breast halves off the bone, but this is quick with bone-in.

Re: How do y'all cook dove? - 08/27/14 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by _Lee

Good Deal & Try this one as you will like up

Posted By: TheDman62

Re: How do y'all cook dove? - 08/27/14 11:21 PM

Originally Posted By: PMK
all the above ... one that I grew up on that my mother used be the only way I knew to eat dove the first 18 years of my life, was German fry (or that's what we called it anyway)... breast out the dove (no plunking here) bone-in, rinse in water to remove external blood & left over feathers, let soak in water while prepping, pat dry on dish towel (or paper towel these days). Put a couple tablespoons all purpose flour in a plate or bowl, salt & black pepper, Dip whole breast (bone in) in sweet milk, roll in flour mixture, cast iron skillet with a little oil/grease (enough to lightly cover the bottom) over low to low medium heat, place floured doves in grease, place close but not touching, place lid on skillet, about 8-10 minutes, remove lid, flip doves to other side, replace lid, cook another 8-10 minutes until flour turns golden brown to dark golden brown, move to plate, serve hot ... with homemade skillet fries (cooked similar method), cream gravy (made in dove skillet with dredges)... eat em off the bone ... probably eaten over a thousand like this, my still preferred method over all the others including bacon wrapped, jalapeno stuffed smoked/grilled... could do similar by filleting breast halves off the bone, but this is quick with bone-in.

Man that sounds good. Im gonna try this recipe this year. food
Posted By: Finfeathernfurr

Re: How do y'all cook dove? - 08/27/14 11:27 PM

[URL

Re: How do y'all cook dove? - 08/27/14 11:35 PM

It's funny the first time my girlfriend went dove hunting with me she made me place the birds in a nice neat stack as I shot them and was really sad. They next time I went out she said I better shoot everyone that flies by me LOL. I cooked them on the grill for years but I will never cook them on there again. I take a thin blade knife and debone so that the tender is still attached to the breast I put a slice of sausage slivers of onion and jalapeno in the middle and tightly wrapped in bacon. I then pepper the bacon with fresh cracked pepper and dice some extra onions and jalapenos to throw on top. I wrap air in tight in foil and bake at 3:50 until the foil blows up like a balloon. Then slice open the top of the foil and turn the oven to broil two crisp the bacon on both sides. I add a little bit of flour to the stock that comes off of it and reduce into a gravy. Serve over a bed of long and wild grain rice with baked carrots potatoes onions and squash and pour the gravy over the birds and rice. My dove sushi rolls have become delicacy in my household. My girlfriend is even wanting to try to shoot some this year to add to the pot:)
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: How do y'all cook dove? - 08/27/14 11:40 PM

I will roll them in flour and fry them.

Re: How do y'all cook dove? - 08/27/14 11:40 PM

Dove Enchiladas

Re: How do y'all cook dove? - 08/27/14 11:52 PM

Dove Fajita's

Re: How do y'all cook dove? - 08/28/14 12:01 AM

Dove Chili

Posted By: Guy

Re: How do y'all cook dove? - 08/28/14 04:40 AM

You guys, let them dove age in the fridge at least 3 days. You will see a big difference in tenderness. Do a test yourself. Eat some day they are shot, then put some in fridge to age, and tell me you do not see a difference.

Hard to beat dove/jalapeno wrapped in bacon...

Want to make the most of what you shot, cook'm whole..

I tried some w and w/o bacon, and yes bacon was better.. grin

Re: How do y'all cook dove? - 08/28/14 05:20 AM

Guy I have to say that is some good looking little chickens. How does the leg thigh and and rib meat come out?
Posted By: Budroux2w

Re: How do y'all cook dove? - 08/28/14 05:29 AM

wow, my mouth is watering. All that looks great!
Posted By: twospeed29

Re: How do y'all cook dove? - 08/28/14 02:20 PM

ill tell you what, dove dumplins if freakin amazing. ive never found a better way. but 99 percent of the time i do the bacon wrapped with a dash of garlic salt and tons of worchester (or however ya spell it) on the grill. flat out delicious
Posted By: whitewing maniac

Re: How do y'all cook dove? - 08/28/14 03:14 PM

I mainly only grill em bacon wrapped.

I have not seen anything done with heart and gizzard. I will sometimes fry these or make them into a giblet gravy. Good stuff to go over mashed taters along side the grilled bird.
Posted By: NTXBowfisher

Re: How do y'all cook dove? - 08/28/14 03:30 PM

this is usually how it goes, at least out at the lease

Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

Re: How do y'all cook dove? - 08/28/14 03:35 PM

I make dove fajitas.... filet them and saute in butter with japs and onion

Quick, easy, TASTY!
Posted By: Guy

Re: How do y'all cook dove? - 08/28/14 11:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Finfeathernfurr
Guy I have to say that is some good looking little chickens. How does the leg thigh and and rib meat come out?

Well not as good as chicken grin, and not a lot of extra meat, but it is a little bit more, gives you a little more to gnaw on. More for presentation. One thing I want to try is create some type jalapeno type stuffing mix, then when you serve cut it in half, so you can get to the stuffing easy.

Re: How do y'all cook dove? - 08/28/14 11:31 PM

My Wife's Recipe

Posted By: DLFant

Re: How do y'all cook dove? - 08/29/14 03:49 AM

I grind it with my deer add about 30 percent beef fat
Posted By: Jobst

Re: How do y'all cook dove? - 08/29/14 09:27 PM

Here's a good website I found with some interesting recipes:

http://www.justgamerecipes.com/inxdov.html
Posted By: NTXBowfisher

Re: How do y'all cook dove? - 09/14/14 12:39 AM