Texas Hunting Forum

Scouting Reports

Posted By: flyboy

Scouting Reports - 08/26/14 01:38 AM

Just scouted our lease south of I-20 off SH 108. Saw virtually no birds in the fields or on the wires. Were a hundred or so white wings around the tanks. Stayed until it got dark hoping tweed see more flying.

What is everybody else seeing?
Posted By: duckboogieman

Re: Scouting Reports - 08/26/14 01:53 AM

I've only lived here for 10 years but Frisco has fewer birds then I can ever remember...... Shocking really......
Posted By: Astater

Re: Scouting Reports - 08/26/14 02:07 AM

No birds down south of DFW either...may be reeeaal slow this year...
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Scouting Reports - 08/26/14 02:12 AM

80 to 90% less dove in the last 10 days in N DFW
Got one place that had 600 white wings last week, now down to 250

Soo much food everywhere, soo much water...

Weird.

I guess they did not like the 61 degrees in the morning 2 weeks ago... I know thats it!
Posted By: Aggieduck

Re: Scouting Reports - 08/26/14 02:16 AM

I've seen a few at my public spots but not the numbers like last year. One private spot is loaded. Fields are more cotton in my area and lots of ponds have water that were dry last year
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: Scouting Reports - 08/26/14 02:27 AM

I saw more birds today than I've been seeing. I was starting to get discouraged.
Posted By: Featherduster

Re: Scouting Reports - 08/26/14 02:31 AM

A few good reports of teal on the prairie.
Posted By: oilag

Re: Scouting Reports - 08/26/14 03:03 AM

Drove into San Antonio from Houston last week. 20 miles east of San Antonio would have given argentina a run for the money. Never seen so many dove. Too bad my lease doesn't look like that. Definitely jealous of the SA folks.
Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter

Re: Scouting Reports - 08/26/14 03:39 AM

Found dove about a week or 10 days ago, then they disappeared like everyone is talking about... luckily this afternoon I think I found them again! hopfully they'll stick around these last few days
Posted By: Homey da Clown

Re: Scouting Reports - 08/26/14 03:50 AM

farmers in two fields( bout 400 acres total) by my property just started cutting the corn today. Birds already swarming in 'em. Gonna be ugly come Monday morn yingyang
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Scouting Reports - 08/26/14 05:56 AM

I don't scout.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Scouting Reports - 08/26/14 09:22 AM

Saw a couple thousand birds in Waco (in town) last Friday. Went out to some of my spots outside of town and saw very few
Posted By: sling

Re: Scouting Reports - 08/26/14 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Homey da Clown
farmers in two fields( bout 400 acres total) by my property just started cutting the corn today. Birds already swarming in 'em. Gonna be ugly come Monday morn yingyang

I think that's why people are seeing less birds. A lot of the mud hole ponds that were dry the last couple of years have some water, and the farmers just put down a bunch of feed in all of the corn/milo fields...I don't think they've gone anywhere...just scattered. I'm still seeing plenty to get me up early on Monday morning, that's for sure!
Posted By: RebelRouser

Re: Scouting Reports - 08/26/14 07:53 PM

No birds anywhere! Might as well not go... cool
Posted By: RebelRouser

Re: Scouting Reports - 08/26/14 07:55 PM

Sorry couldn't resist. Our spot is looking as good as ever. Lots flying this year. Opener is always great. Slows down a bunch but it's always fun on a bucket with buddies regardless.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Scouting Reports - 08/27/14 01:24 AM

Harvested 600 acres of milo on three fields a few weeks ago on the Brazos and no birds yet. Drove through the place Sunday (granted, it was mid-day) and kicked up one flight of about a dozen. This is in Falls County. LOTS of whitewings in Waco....once you get South of Loop 340 they shut off like a faucet.
Posted By: Lotto

Re: Scouting Reports - 08/27/14 02:24 AM

Good off my back porch.

Posted By: Jacob645

Re: Scouting Reports - 08/27/14 02:34 AM

I scouted this past weekend. Only saw 20 dove and 10 blue wing teal.
Posted By: FishStickMan

Re: Scouting Reports - 08/27/14 03:02 AM

Saw about a zillion white wings driving through Wharton on 59 at 5:45 tonight. Holy crap there were a lot of doves. It was hard to drive and not watch the birds...
Posted By: TXRanger

Re: Scouting Reports - 08/27/14 02:01 PM

OK in the AM, better in the evenings in Young Co.(Not great).Still way dry here, need rain. Also pollen and ragweed is bad. Visiting hunters remember to get your allergy meds if you need em.
Posted By: Adam O

Re: Scouting Reports - 08/27/14 02:03 PM

Did a little fishing in a local Frisco pond last night around 7:30pm. Saw several groups of 15-20. Big ole fat ones.
Posted By: flyboy

Re: Scouting Reports - 08/27/14 08:40 PM

Love this pic... but isn't baiting illegal?

Or are those naturally scattered sunflower seeds?
Posted By: Lotto

Re: Scouting Reports - 08/28/14 02:41 AM

Those are my wifes pet dove...............
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Scouting Reports - 08/28/14 03:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Lotto

I'm working on making a few pets around the house, myself. grin
Posted By: DblTbl72

Re: Scouting Reports - 08/28/14 03:29 AM

Scouted two different fields tonight. Both were fair at best. Both in Hunt county. Might be better in the am but not much tonight.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Scouting Reports - 08/28/14 03:56 AM

Scouted as well.
Thin at best. Very thin. Annorexicaly thin
Posted By: Budroux2w

Re: Scouting Reports - 08/28/14 05:33 AM

I was out checking out my new lease this past weekend. Saw a few dove, 4-5, but I was surprised at that number as it was starting to push 100. Gives me hopes for the opener. Either way, it'll be good, been a few years since I've hunted so I'm just ready to get in the field, shooting some birds is just a plus.
Posted By: mohunter

Re: Scouting Reports - 08/28/14 11:48 AM

Did a lot of scouting last night and saw a lot of doves, mostly in cut corn fields, nothing in the milo or wheat fields. Corn is where its at as usual. In the next few days more fields will be cut so the dove should not leave the area.
Should be a good opener.
Posted By: Heisman25g

Re: Scouting Reports - 08/28/14 02:54 PM

Mohunter just doesn't want anyone hunting his milo fields
Posted By: Western

Re: Scouting Reports - 08/28/14 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky

Shouldn't you be out making a wireline log or sumptin confused2 grin

We had about 5 pair at our bird feeder for much of the summer, then 2-3 weeks ago, they cleared out . Get a pair here and there, but not like earlier. Still have quite a few Incas hanging around, but I dont think they ever leave.
Posted By: DeadRooster

Re: Scouting Reports - 08/28/14 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Budroux2w
I'm just ready to get in the field, shooting some birds is just a plus.

THIS. On so many levels, this.

We have ~700 acre lease up in south-central Mills County. Of the 4 guns on our lease, I'm the only one who will be there opening day. So I'll have the place to myself. We have 4 good size tanks that are all full of water, so I'll spend opening day hunting between the tanks.

I've seen a good number of birds each time I've been out to the lease in the last few months. But even if I don't limit, and only get to spend a day by myself in the field it will be a good day indeed.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Scouting Reports - 08/28/14 04:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Western

We had about 5 pair at our bird feeder for much of the summer, then 2-3 weeks ago, they cleared out . Get a pair here and there, but not like earlier. Still have quite a few Incas hanging around, but I dont think they ever leave.

Only people with jobs do that. I'm busy preparing for more important things than work.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Scouting Reports - 08/28/14 06:02 PM

checked our place near Ennis Tuesday evening.

about one third as many as last year. BUT last year we had giant sunflowers growing on the place.

this year, it's wheat stubble and milo that's just been combined.
hopefully some more will find the milo soon.
Posted By: Western

Re: Scouting Reports - 08/28/14 09:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Western

Shoot, I thought you took that offer?
Only people with jobs do that. I'm busy preparing for more important things than work.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Scouting Reports - 08/28/14 11:54 PM

Today is the first day I've seen more than a couple birds. They have been flying behind my house for last 30 min in groups of 2-5 here in Killeen
Posted By: wing_runner

Re: Scouting Reports - 08/29/14 02:54 AM

Scouted Leander today North of Austin and counted steady flights. However, no big groups but good overall numbers. Going out tomorrow to see if they're running the same pattern in the a.m....
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum