Texas Hunting Forum

If I have a CHL can I

Posted By: stringwise

If I have a CHL can I - 07/22/14 06:28 PM

If I have a CHL can I...

carry in the duck blind?

I have asked several people who all say no because of lead. I have read that you are allowed to carry during bow season for deer but can't find the same rule (or not) for migratory game birds.

Why would I need to carry when I already have a shotgun? loco Just interested to know if you CAN, not if it makes sense or not.

Thanks
Posted By: Navasot

Re: If I have a CHL can I - 07/22/14 06:45 PM

Id say no.

But what if you were loaded with copper rounds?
Posted By: john paul

Re: If I have a CHL can I - 07/22/14 07:15 PM

Originally Posted By: stringwise
If I have a CHL can I...

carry in the duck blind?

I have asked several people who all say no because of lead. I have read that you are allowed to carry during bow season for deer but can't find the same rule (or not) for migratory game birds.

Why would I need to carry when I already have a shotgun? loco Just interested to know if you CAN, not if it makes sense or not.

Thanks

As long as you are not shooting at ducks with your pistol I am pretty sure you are good to go.
Posted By: kdub

Re: If I have a CHL can I - 07/22/14 07:20 PM

I'd say yes. But you might want to check with your gw. They seem to interpret the law differently than I do.
Posted By: bluewingwidowmaker

Re: If I have a CHL can I - 07/22/14 08:03 PM

If you get charged, let me know. I'll show up on your court date.
Posted By: Centurion

Re: If I have a CHL can I - 07/22/14 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Id say no.

Copper is not legal for waterfowl.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: If I have a CHL can I - 07/22/14 08:13 PM

Our old game warden didn't care. I'd have to ask the two we have now.
Posted By: wal1809

Re: If I have a CHL can I - 07/22/14 08:29 PM

You are allowed to carry a pistol.
Posted By: sling

Re: If I have a CHL can I - 07/22/14 09:20 PM

Best I know, there's not a specific problem with legally carrying a handgun on your waterfowl hunt.

The direction given in the 2013-2014 digest is specific to shotgun/muzzleloader shells/loose shot.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_k0700_1014.pdf

I would review "legally carrying" though, as it relates to public hunting land and potentially army corp property around Texas lakes, because there are some regulations there that would keep you from "legally carrying" regardless of the activity.
Posted By: Aggieduck

Re: If I have a CHL can I - 07/22/14 10:55 PM

Yes you can. It's legal to posses on your property plus it's not a legal means mad method for said game thus they can't enforce it. That is unless you are attempting to shoot ducks with it, but we all knew what your question meant.
Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter

Re: If I have a CHL can I - 07/22/14 11:34 PM

Originally Posted By: LTMFH
Id say no.

2013-2014 Texas Waterfowl Digest- NONTOXIC SHOT
No person, while hunting waterfowl anywhere in the state, may possess shotgun shells containing lead shot or loose lead shot for use in muzzleloaders. Approved shot includes steel, including copper, nickel or zinc-coated steel, bismuth-tin, tungsten-iron, tungsten-polymer (i.e., moly-shot), and any other nontoxic material approved by the director of the USFWS.
www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/
currentbirdissues/nontoxic.htm
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: If I have a CHL can I - 07/23/14 02:32 AM

keep it concealed, GTG

Re: If I have a CHL can I - 07/23/14 03:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Merican duck hunter
Id say no.

2013-2014 Texas Waterfowl Digest- NONTOXIC SHOT
No person, while hunting waterfowl anywhere in the state, may possess shotgun shells containing lead shot or loose lead shot for use in muzzleloaders. Approved shot includes steel, including copper, nickel or zinc-coated steel, bismuth-tin, tungsten-iron, tungsten-polymer (i.e., moly-shot), and any other nontoxic material approved by the director of the USFWS.
www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/
currentbirdissues/nontoxic.htm

Good thought I was gettin old for a second

Re: If I have a CHL can I - 07/23/14 03:34 AM

Could just tell you pistol ammo is not considered shot shells though
Posted By: Dove Weed

Re: If I have a CHL can I - 07/23/14 03:34 AM

On my lease, even the grasshoppers have teeth. If I were to get ticketed for carrying a sidearm while taking game by legal methods, there is going to be one heck of a sale in the classifieds, because I would come back to town and sell every sporting firearm I own.
Posted By: Astater

Re: If I have a CHL can I - 07/23/14 06:25 PM

I've been checked by the game warden the last two opening weekends. Both times I was carrying 3 12 gauge slugs for hogs. Both times i took them out and showed them to him and he didn't even look at them...he knew why I had them. Even made the comment, "If you can hit a duck with a slug, I wouldn't write you a ticket anyway". We all laughed and he went on about his business. I realize some of the wardens aren't as friendly but the majority of them are outdoorsmen just like us.

As far as your question, I haven't the slightest.
Posted By: rowdydog1

Re: If I have a CHL can I - 07/24/14 07:15 PM

why would you carry a pistol to a duck blind?
Posted By: Astater

Re: If I have a CHL can I - 07/26/14 03:14 AM

Originally Posted By: rowdydog1
why would you carry a pistol to a duck blind?
Why would you carry one anywhere?

Ya never know what you're going to run into and there's no good reason to NOT carry.

Re: If I have a CHL can I - 07/26/14 03:39 AM

I mean if I needed to shoot something I could do just fine with the 12 gage already in my hand..
Posted By: Trout-killer

Re: If I have a CHL can I - 07/26/14 05:30 PM

I mean if I needed to shoot something I could do just fine with the 12 gage already in my hand..
Posted By: stringwise

Re: If I have a CHL can I - 07/26/14 11:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Aggieduck
Yes you can. It's legal to posses on your property plus it's not a legal means mad method for said game thus they can't enforce it. That is unless you are attempting to shoot ducks with it, but we all knew what your question meant.

Thanks for the responses...
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: If I have a CHL can I - 07/28/14 04:04 AM

You guys are really getting bored. Are u really going to shoot waterfowl w 380 ACP?

Common man.

Just don't have a drop of alcohol in your system. Zero tolerance.

Posted By: carlosburitica

Re: If I have a CHL can I - 07/28/14 02:05 PM

i am new to to texas but im am for florida and the law is simple. you can not have lead shotgun shells wile waterfowl hunting, it does not mean you can not carry concealed or open other firearm different than a shotgun with lead shells. you are not allowed to hunt waterfowl with a hand gun.

i asked once to the gw on a public wma, that i will be duck hunting in the morning and hog hunting in the afternoon so obviously i had a combination of shells with me, and didn't want to come back to the car to change shells he said as long as i don't catch you using lead on ducks you are fine.

there is a thin line and it all depends on the game warden or the law enforcement officer that you talk with and the situation.

now the hand gun....... i carry i always concealed to avoid problems, even when i have the right by law to wear it open wile involved in a hunting activity. i carry it for the pure purpose of defense against two and four legged threats, a fine or citation is nothing when you life is in danger. just my opinion.

Re: If I have a CHL can I - 07/28/14 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By: carlosburitica
i am new to to texas but im am for florida and the law is simple. you can not have lead shotgun shells wile waterfowl hunting, it does not mean you can not carry concealed or open other firearm different than a shotgun with lead shells. you are not allowed to hunt waterfowl with a hand gun.

Take your .22 rifle with you and let me know how that works out for you.
Posted By: carlosburitica

Re: If I have a CHL can I - 07/28/14 03:15 PM

Originally Posted By: carlosburitica

Take your .22 rifle with you and let me know how that works out for you.
op was talking about a handgun with CHL permit
Posted By: Gdogg

Re: If I have a CHL can I - 07/28/14 03:57 PM

Originally Posted By: kdub
I'd say yes. But you might want to check with your gw. They seem to interpret the law differently than I do.

roflmao
Posted By: Gengo

Re: If I have a CHL can I - 07/28/14 07:26 PM

Call your local GW and ask. I would think not due to lead.

I know some are posting that as long as they don't see you trying to shoot at ducks with it then you'll be fine. That wouldn't be an option in my area as many times they just check you at the boat launch. I've had them pull the magnet on each shell in my shell bag.

Again, why would you need a concealed firearm when you have a shotgun in your hands?
Posted By: NTXBowfisher

Re: If I have a CHL can I - 07/28/14 09:59 PM

I have been checked multiple times duck hunting while carrying concealed, GW hasn't ever said anything i just hand him my CHL w/ my hunting license and tell him I'm carrying....
Posted By: Homey da Clown

Re: If I have a CHL can I - 07/29/14 06:13 PM

You don't even need a CHL to carry concealed in a boat on Texas waters. The aforementioned Class C mis, or gang, yada yada does apply. This is straight from the former TP&W Chief of Law Enforcement( Head Warden in charge) of 20 years and another 20 years in the field, who is a friend of mine. Castle Doctrine applies.
Posted By: kdub

Re: If I have a CHL can I - 07/29/14 06:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Gengo

Again, why would you need a concealed firearm when you have a shotgun in your hands?

Why not?

Maybe you carry on a daily basis and you don't want to leave your pistol in your truck while you are duckhunting.
Posted By: BOONER

Re: If I have a CHL can I - 07/29/14 06:45 PM

Why not?

Maybe you carry on a daily basis and you don't want to leave your pistol in your truck while you are duckhunting.

Who knew we had so many antis among us? confused2
Posted By: stinkbelly

Re: If I have a CHL can I - 07/29/14 07:16 PM

Why not?

How many of you have had your truck robbed while duck hunting on public land? I have.

Re: If I have a CHL can I - 07/29/14 07:20 PM

Iv'e had my truck broke into. Wheels stole off my trailer. I have a safe in my Truck for the stuff I want to keep. Locking lugs on my Trailer wheels. Live and Learn. "Don't leave nothing for the Dinks."
Posted By: mohunter

Re: If I have a CHL can I - 07/29/14 07:45 PM

If you launch your boat at some of the areas I do you will learn to leave your doors unlocked and not leave anything of value in the truck. Even doing all of that I still had dog kennel with an insulated cover stole out of the back of my truck last season.
At least my windows never get broken, also having a lift on your truck will keep most people from steeling your wheels because they will not have a jack big enough.
Posted By: Deputy T

Re: If I have a CHL can I - 07/29/14 10:47 PM

Just remember the unlawfully carrying of a weapon.

A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:
(1) the handgun is in plain view; or
(2) the person is:
(A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic or boating;
(B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or
(C) a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01.

Especially pay attention to (A). If you get cited for a class C violation of law OTHER than a law pertaining to traffic law or boating laws you would fall into that category. Not saying you would be charged lol but you would definitely meet the elements of that crime.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum