Texas Hunting Forum

dove camo thoughts

Posted By: freonfreak82

dove camo thoughts - 04/27/14 12:02 AM

ok i realize dove hunting for the most part ends up being an excuse to drink some beer, jack around with your new guns after the hunt is over etcetera... and as far as camo goes, most of the time i end up out there in shorts and a camo t shirt... never really thin much about it. also, not real successful on getting birds close. we use mojos, sit next to hay bales or fence lines, and so on... but i was wondering if you wore pants and a shirt, maybe some face paint like you do for ducks, and possibly even sit in some sort of a blind... would it help any? or just overkill that'll get you laughed off the lease? thanks for input
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: dove camo thoughts - 04/27/14 12:09 AM

I always wear a brown shirt and sit on a red cooler drinking silver cans next to a water hole with my white dog sitting next to me. I don't know how I ever kill a limit without painting my face.
Posted By: BMowatt

Re: dove camo thoughts - 04/27/14 12:28 AM

put the beer in a koozie, you'll be fine
Posted By: Guy

Re: dove camo thoughts - 04/27/14 01:08 AM

Originally Posted By: freonfreak82
but i was wondering if you wore pants and a shirt, maybe some face paint like you do for ducks, and possibly even sit in some sort of a blind... would it help any? or just overkill that'll get you laughed off the lease? thanks for input

The key is to sit still, you move one bit and dove will see it and flare. Camo clothing helps and makes sense, but a blind and face paint way over kill and dumb.
Posted By: Jeff Elder

Re: dove camo thoughts - 04/27/14 01:39 AM

90% of people hunt dove the opening weekend only. Those 90% will tell you camo isn't needed, and they are right, on opening weekend. After that earth tone is way to go. The birds get wise real fast. Hunt without camo in late September or October and get back with me. BTW I think face paint would be over kill, but being well hid wouldn't
Posted By: freonfreak82

Re: dove camo thoughts - 04/27/14 01:39 AM

yeah heres the deal, got a new hunter on our lease this year. he's blowing us up with questions etcetera... most are yes or no answers no biggie. then theres those that make you scratch your head and guess what you've been doing... this was one of em. last season i sat on the back of my truck... same results as every other year. so so.

Re: dove camo thoughts - 04/27/14 02:19 AM

It would be funny to pull up to the Alsups in Albany on opening day and see someone with face paint.
Posted By: TXPride

Re: dove camo thoughts - 04/27/14 03:29 AM

I'd laugh if I saw it.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: dove camo thoughts - 04/27/14 03:40 AM

I think I get them close enough as is. Any closer and I'd just use my hands.

Re: dove camo thoughts - 04/27/14 03:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Fooshman

using the ole dove call Fooshy?
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: dove camo thoughts - 04/27/14 03:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Jeff Elder
90% of people hunt dove the opening weekend only. Those 90% will tell you camo isn't needed, and they are right, on opening weekend. After that earth tone is way to go. The birds get wise real fast. Hunt without camo in late September or October and get back with me. BTW I think face paint would be over kill, but being well hid wouldn't

Thank god im the 10% er
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: dove camo thoughts - 04/27/14 06:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Guy
Originally Posted By: freonfreak82
but i was wondering if you wore pants and a shirt, maybe some face paint like you do for ducks, and possibly even sit in some sort of a blind... would it help any? or just overkill that'll get you laughed off the lease? thanks for input

The key is to sit still, you move one bit and dove will see it and flare. Camo clothing helps and makes sense, but a blind and face paint way over kill and dumb.

I agree 100% with everything you said.
Posted By: easton1025

Re: dove camo thoughts - 04/27/14 07:29 PM

10 dollar khaki shorts from academy...12 dollar khaki cool knit shirt from Academy all season, and never have a problem....plus I never have to worry about blood dripping on the clothes...just adds a little character....
Posted By: texasdude28

Re: dove camo thoughts - 04/27/14 07:51 PM

No movement and no bright colors, you should be good to go.
Posted By: BigAL33

Re: dove camo thoughts - 04/27/14 10:06 PM

Just make sure your yeti has a Camo top & you'll be fine!

Posted By: ArkansasTraveler

Re: dove camo thoughts - 04/28/14 02:27 AM

The way I look at it, I have invested a lot of money in camo clothes and gear. I wait from Feb to Sept to shoot a flying bird, and literally count down the days. Whether it's unnecessary or not, I'm gonna wear full camo, and hide up in a bush. I do carry a cooler and drink beer, but I usually bring a piece of burlap to cover the cooler.

I know a lot of people sit on a tailgate and drink beer and shoot limits. More power to you, but that ain't my style of hunting. I think that face paint is a little much though.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: dove camo thoughts - 04/28/14 02:38 AM

Jeans.. camo shirt from Walmart.. Boots... Cooler
Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter

Re: dove camo thoughts - 04/28/14 05:24 AM

khaki shorts, camo t-shirt... dove are more fun to shoot at 30-40yds anyways!

Re: dove camo thoughts - 04/28/14 08:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Fooshman

using the ole dove call Fooshy?

Nah. I just do a little dance.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: dove camo thoughts - 04/28/14 01:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Merican duck hunter
khaki shorts, camo t-shirt... dove are more fun to shoot at 30-40yds anyways!

http://ispot.tv/a/7ISp
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: dove camo thoughts - 04/29/14 01:48 AM

Earth tone wicking pants, camo t-shirt/hat and a black dog to my left that is ready to fetch what I knock down! The beer can wait until I put up the guns.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: dove camo thoughts - 04/29/14 02:43 AM

I don't care what you do to shoot them... ridiculous or not... dang birds are delicious
Posted By: SaltyDawg88

Re: dove camo thoughts - 04/29/14 03:22 AM

Originally Posted By: jdk1985
I don't care what you do to shoot them... ridiculous or not... dang birds are delicious

They are too good to not hunt all season long so I am a 10%too.

I camo up and seem to do better than most of my buddies I hunt with who do not.

I also learned at an early age to not have sudden movements because the dove key and duck, dodge, and dart when they see movement.
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: dove camo thoughts - 04/29/14 06:04 AM

I paint my face because I like getting in the "hunting mood". Season opener and nothing gets me more jacked up than early morning face paint! I personally use camo shirt, khaki shorts, palm leaf hat, and I get next to a tree line or patch of em. Usually works pretty well if I sit still, but hey, a lot of movement opening and closing the cooler!
Posted By: rkj01

Re: dove camo thoughts - 04/29/14 05:23 PM

Camo or not always sit in the shade they have a hard time seeing you if your in the shade. Plus its alot cooler

Re: dove camo thoughts - 04/29/14 07:15 PM

Yep
Posted By: Guy

Re: dove camo thoughts - 04/29/14 11:42 PM

Originally Posted By: rkj01
Camo or not always sit in the shade they have a hard time seeing you if your in the shade. Plus its alot cooler

Think I have to disagree with you on that. Sitting in the sun, with your shades on and duck dynasty face paint, it don't get cooler than that.

Re: dove camo thoughts - 04/30/14 09:29 AM

Yep
Posted By: rdh1

Re: dove camo thoughts - 04/30/14 04:38 PM

Dove hunting is simple
movement brings them in and movement will make the flare
so put on what you want and do not move
MTC
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: dove camo thoughts - 04/30/14 04:48 PM

I chit you not a THF'er and I hunted in October last season in a cut and disked corn field from our layout blinds. Birds had wised up and we had it to ourselves. Put 3 mojos in front of us and it was on. It was the best hunt I had with the exception of opening weekend.

And yes, my layout is huge so I have room for my cooler.
Posted By: 817cd

Re: dove camo thoughts - 04/30/14 07:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Gone to Texas
I paint my face because I like getting in the "hunting mood". Season opener and nothing gets me more jacked up than early morning face paint! I personally use camo shirt, khaki shorts, palm leaf hat, and I get next to a tree line or patch of em. Usually works pretty well if I sit still, but hey, a lot of movement opening and closing the cooler!

in the mood eh? That's what she said...
Posted By: Triple7

Re: dove camo thoughts - 05/02/14 03:11 AM

I sit on the back of my silver truck.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: dove camo thoughts - 05/02/14 12:20 PM

If you aren't wearing this you're missing birds trust me.

Posted By: Ramball36

Re: dove camo thoughts - 05/02/14 12:36 PM

Toughest part is getting my layout blind to blend into cut milo

Re: dove camo thoughts - 05/02/14 11:28 PM

Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop
If you aren't wearing this you're missing birds trust me.

I'll take one.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: dove camo thoughts - 05/04/14 04:44 PM

Jeans, boots and a dark colored short sleeve shirt. My $10 Gander Mountain game vest is camo. I bought the game vest because it was $10 not because it was camo. I grew up out in the country and we didn't know you had to wear camo to shoot birds. I guess we just lucked out a lot. More important to me is the shade of a tree line and being rather still.

Re: dove camo thoughts - 05/04/14 04:54 PM

Mosquito mesh pants and vest from cabelas
Super light
Posted By: udamdan

Re: dove camo thoughts - 05/04/14 09:43 PM

up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum