Texas Hunting Forum

My off season project (S)

Posted By: wal1809

My off season project (S) - 04/21/14 02:05 PM

Well I finally had enough. When I work I work and when I play I work hard at playing. Things kind of got all balled up on me and catching up to me. The mother in law had a stroke 3 months ago and I have not had a day of fun, day off or even a day of rest since I went to Missouri on the spring goose hunt. My sister called and asked I come out to the ranch she and her husband lease from a friend of mine. They had cold Shiner beer, an inch and a half thick rib eyes and anything else you could imagine for table fare. I got up at 0400 Saturday morning, told mother in law she was on her own and I lit a shuck for Gonzales. My wife was up at Fort Hood helping our daughter in law with the coming of the 3rd grandbaby.

O got to the ranch in time to slamm a few more cups of coffee and headed to the area of the plan to ambush a tom turkey. By the time I got the decoys out and my BIL's truck gone we could hear them gobbling in the creek bottom. BIL left and I hit the call. About a dozen birds boiled the creek valley with their gobbling. So much so I was not able to figure out if they were headed my way or just gobbling for the noise.

30 minutes into and the woods fell silent. My decoys were at the edge of heavy fog. 30 more minutes went by and I hit the old P. S. Olt box caller and I got a lone gobble from up and over the hill. I guessed it was 4 or 500 yards, very very faint. 5 minutes later I did it again and he boiled up with a gobble but this time noticably closer. I talked him into about 80 yards and he fell silent. I just gave him a few chirps and purrs and got ready. An old ghost of a turkey with a white head poked his head out at about 50 yards, for 5 seconds. That is all I saw and he left.

Next day I got set up nearer the creek bottom. Daylight came and nothing. No roosting birds. I could not believe it. I sat there an hour after daylight and did not hear a gobble within a mile. I knew from years ago, if you don't hear them, you better move. I switched to plan B, got set up, parked the car and got into position. I called and heard no response. 20 minutes later, again no response. I was in the final minutes, telling myself I would call one more time and then go home. I swipedthe paddle on the old Olt and got answer. I did it again and he boiled up the gobble again. I kept talking until he was at the 100 yard mark, guessing of course, because of the woods.

The first time I saw him he was trotting to the decoys, fanned out, wings dragging and he was hissing. I did a chirp and he gobbled. I figured out real quick I need to learn decoy placement is key. The day before I put the tom decoy in between where the turkeys should be coming and the hen decoys. That is what stopped the tom the day before. It stopped the second day tom right in his tracks at 37 yards. It was a 4 minute stand off and my tom was not getting any closer. He was facing me and I knew the shot would do what it was designed to do, kill him clean. I had patterned my gun at 30 yards and found a 20 inch pattern at 30 yards. 37 yards was not ideal, but I felt confident. Boom, 2 ounces of #5 lead 3 inch magnum turkey load. I might as well have dumped a truck load of bricks on that gobbler. He went down hard and he was finished clean.

That was easter morning and it was my birthday. There is just something about the woods, Shiner beer, ribeyes, family, friends and mashing a turkey. Makes everything pure again.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: My off season project (S) - 04/21/14 05:44 PM

Congrats.
Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter

Re: My off season project (S) - 04/21/14 06:27 PM

Nice job up
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: My off season project (S) - 04/21/14 07:12 PM

Shiner, ribeyes, and yard bird chasin'... good times! cheers
Posted By: Fallen Feathers Taxidermy

Re: My off season project (S) - 04/21/14 07:48 PM

Congrats to a good time.

Re: My off season project (S) - 04/21/14 08:17 PM

Thank you fellas. That was the first turkey bird I ever shot with a shotgun. I was extemely impressed with the performance of the 2 ounce #5 lead pellet turkey load. Those shells pack an extreme wollup.
Posted By: Trout-killer

Re: My off season project (S) - 04/21/14 09:21 PM

Sorry to hear about your MIL. I hope she has a speedy recovery.

Congrats on the turkey bird
Posted By: Hogman4127

Re: My off season project (S) - 04/21/14 11:51 PM

Nice job on the turkey
Posted By: Guy

Re: My off season project (S) - 04/22/14 01:28 AM

Nice going Wayne!
Posted By: Dave Speer

Re: My off season project (S) - 04/22/14 04:29 PM

dang... I keep hearing about this turkey sickness. Safe so far laugh Good job Wayne

Re: My off season project (S) - 04/22/14 05:53 PM

What's happening Senior Dave? Dave you got to go call in a turkey at least once in your life. If you don't get immediately hooked, there is something wrong and you will need to drive straight to the nut house. It is like when that first pile of mallards drops in just outside of range and are heading out. Then you hit the call and they are back on again, over and over and over until they make the fatal mistake and the gun goes off. Multiply that by 10 and you're getting close to what spring turkey, done the right way, feels like.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: My off season project (S) - 04/22/14 06:38 PM

Stay sober wal

Re: My off season project (S) - 04/22/14 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
Stay sober wal

I tried sobriety. It is not all that much fun.

Re: My off season project (S) - 04/22/14 08:42 PM

U need to go to aa meeting, i think they have one in shiner

Re: My off season project (S) - 04/22/14 11:20 PM

When is that party you promised???? Some of us have to plan vacation time.

Re: My off season project (S) - 04/23/14 03:02 AM

Yeah, didn't you promised a craw-daddy bash?

Re: My off season project (S) - 04/23/14 12:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Hogman4127
When is that party you promised???? Some of us have to plan vacation time.

I probably won't make the May deadline. I have to put a roof on that building and prepare for the open house. I will have to have built a surplus of calls for the event. You really think yall are coming down? I will have to put you up in the bus if that is alright with you and your wife.

Beaver if you are coming then I will without a doubt cook crawdaddys.

Re: My off season project (S) - 04/23/14 02:36 PM

We plan on it...as long as I can take vaction time then.

Re: My off season project (S) - 04/23/14 02:47 PM

Well great! I would love to have yall down here. I will give you plenty of notice.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum