Texas Hunting Forum

"Crushed It"

Posted By: Is That Good?

"Crushed It" - 01/06/14 04:12 PM

It's been a steady year but nothing really special until this past weekend. I've decided not to post unless it's really good.

This particular morning we decided to hunt a hole that we hadn't hunted in a few weeks hoping they had filled up. The morning started off with one of my buddy showing up hungover. Not to say it's a good thing but I've had some good hunts after a late night of festivities so I took it as a good sign.

So we get to the spot and me and the guy that's not hungover get setup and ready to go. On the walk out there we hear tons of mallards getting up from the spot we are planning on hunting. This could have been a bad thing but I was hoping they would filter back in throughout the morning which they did.

Around 10 mintues till LST my hungover buddy comes traipsing in cursing himself for being so miserable.

LST comes and we see group after group go down around 100 yards behind us. After about the third or fourth group we grab about 4 mallards deeks and head back there. We sit down in some waist high grass and the mallard massacre began. I've never seen mallards drop out of the sky like they did this day. The beautiful thing about it was we shot singles and maybye one double all day. It was probably one of my top five hunts and we had four deeks and hardly any cover. Sometimes it just works out like that.

Got our limit of mallards but couldn't fill the 3 man due to nothing but mallards coming in. Shame huh. Did get one Gad drake though.

Here's the damage.
Posted By: Dave Speer

Re: "Crushed It" - 01/06/14 04:26 PM

I'm no mallard snob but that sounds like an amazing hunt!
Posted By: fishpig30

Re: "Crushed It" - 01/06/14 04:27 PM

Gotta love a good mallard massacre!
Posted By: AndrewMac

Re: "Crushed It" - 01/06/14 04:31 PM

Great Lookin shoot
Posted By: JoSkeeter

Re: "Crushed It" - 01/06/14 04:33 PM

Hey that's okay I take a day like that over a limit any day.
Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter

Re: "Crushed It" - 01/06/14 05:03 PM

up
Posted By: ARQuacker

Re: "Crushed It" - 01/06/14 05:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Is That Good?
...LST comes and we see group after group go down around 100 yards behind us. After about the third or fourth group we grab about 4 mallards deeks and head back there. We sit down in some waist high grass and the mallard massacre began...

This is the essence of duck hunting right here.

Great job and nice pics!
Posted By: Kenny Powers

Re: "Crushed It" - 01/06/14 05:57 PM

Woof !!!! Nice haul!!!!
Posted By: 940AC

Re: "Crushed It" - 01/06/14 07:05 PM

clap
on the "X"
Posted By: JesseB

Re: "Crushed It" - 01/06/14 10:41 PM

eeks333
Posted By: Guy

Re: "Crushed It" - 01/06/14 10:50 PM

Dang, and you did it without the prodrive! Nice shoot, but you are suppose to be studying!
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: "Crushed It" - 01/06/14 11:53 PM

nice
Posted By: Is That Good?

Re: "Crushed It" - 01/07/14 12:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Guy
Dang, and you did it without the prodrive! Nice shoot, but you are suppose to be studying!

Indeed. I start back on the 13th. I hope to get a couple more in before I hit the books.
Posted By: Shl0g

Re: "Crushed It" - 01/07/14 12:57 AM

Crushing drinks...crushing birds...its all just a blur.
Posted By: NTXR

Re: "Crushed It" - 01/07/14 01:27 AM

It sounds like you guys made a great call on the fly. What a shoot!
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: "Crushed It" - 01/07/14 02:16 AM

That's awesome- duck intelligence- funny how so many don't have it-

Great story and shoot!

Congrats
Posted By: Cow_doc.308

Re: "Crushed It" - 01/07/14 04:18 AM

Thats awesome.

Seems like if you get where they really want to be it doesn't matter how little cover you have they just keep coming anyway.
Posted By: JesseB

Re: "Crushed It" - 01/07/14 04:08 PM

Sweet!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum