Texas Hunting Forum

New Years Day hunt

Posted By: ARQuacker

New Years Day hunt - 01/02/14 01:42 PM

Got to take my dad hunting with me. It's like watching a 10 year old! He gets so excited about EVERYTHING duck hunting. Yesterday I was able to put him on the birds. We we were 2 birds shy of 3 limits of teal by 8 AM and decided to slow down and see if we could kill some big ducks. We'd seen a couple of pintail flights, some gadwalls, widgeon and mallards. For the next hour we watched group after group of teal fall into our spread. Finally, a lone bull hovered over the spread and my dad dish-ragged him. About 5 min later a hen and a bull made a pass at us before circling around and then hovering over the spread. My dad picked out the bull and dropped him too. Turned out to have a double sprig. He doesn't know it yet but he's getting a pintail for father's day.

Posted By: Beretta

Re: New Years Day hunt - 01/02/14 01:53 PM

up I was able to get my dad on a limit New Year's Day too, first full limit he has gotten. Needless to say he is ready for this weekend to be here.
Posted By: Featherduster

Re: New Years Day hunt - 01/02/14 02:20 PM

darn good hunt
Posted By: TxDuck24

Re: New Years Day hunt - 01/02/14 02:31 PM

Awesome hunt and great story, I like the term dish ragged lol
Posted By: ARQuacker

Re: New Years Day hunt - 01/02/14 02:47 PM

Forgot one other nugget from the hunt. Had a group of 4 come in, feet down in the spread and all three of us fired at once and all 4 birds dropped. My dad was laughing and hollering like Johnny Football on Saturday! I wish I had a picture.

One day, these days will end. Until then, he thinks we're just huntin'...

And one bit of personal advice, for all of those who had/have problems with your old man...it's never to late to take your hat, stick out your hand and start over.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: New Years Day hunt - 01/02/14 09:34 PM

Originally Posted By: ARQuacker

And one bit of personal advice, for all of those who had/have problems with your old man...it's never to late to take your hat, stick out your hand and start over.

up
Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter

Re: New Years Day hunt - 01/02/14 09:41 PM

Originally Posted By: ARQuacker

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum