Lots of variables there..

g&h for plastic hands down..

talk to elder on wood blocks

and Longhair Dave can carve a mean foam

You forgot inflatables!
grin
Posted By: TxHunter96

Re: Decoys - 12/04/13 02:43 AM

I only hunt with hand-molded steel decoys.
Posted By: WhiskeyRedDog

Re: Decoys - 12/04/13 02:43 AM

juggle
Posted By: Jeff Elder

Re: Decoys - 12/04/13 02:44 AM

Originally Posted By: TxHunter96

How do they ride in the water?
Posted By: Going Green

Re: Decoys - 12/04/13 02:46 AM

Value and best don't usually go together with decoy. For puddlers, I personally use cheapo storm fronts for a good percentage of my spread, with some Final Approach's and GHG's mixed in. For divers, I use Fowl Foolers burlap wrapped foam. Basically the same as the old Herter's decoys. The diver decoys end up strafed a lot more than the puddlers, hence why I use the burlapped foam. If you're looking for value, just paint up some milk jugs or clorox bottles. You might laugh, but they'll fill out a spread nicely!

Re: Decoys - 12/04/13 02:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Jeff Elder
Originally Posted By: TxHunter96

How do they ride in the water?

like an aircraft carrier

Re: Decoys - 12/04/13 02:47 AM

I need some. My clients are wearing out my man o wars!
Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter

Re: Decoys - 12/04/13 02:49 AM

for realism purposes ONLY, I use GreenHead Gear, but I go into it knowing I have to replace/repaint decoys every 3 years or so due to paint chipping. G&H are good quality as far as paint but They just look like decoys to me. its a personal preference. I've heard of people killing limits over 2liter bottles and milk jugs painted black. Just depends on you.
Posted By: sptaylor

Re: Decoys - 12/04/13 02:55 AM

we used newspapers in goose field once..

what you mean by looks like a decoy??
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: Decoys - 12/04/13 02:59 AM

Best value In my opinion would be storm fronts, aside from paint chipping, those things will never leak, and the pintail and wigeons look pretty good. Best value for not leaking and not having to repaint would be GHG hands down. I've had some for 7 or 8 years now that still have good paint and no leaks.

Re: Decoys - 12/04/13 03:02 AM

From 30 yards they just look like plastic decoys to me where as some of the new GHGs at 30 yards will make you do a double take, but as I stated I think its more about the hunter than the decoys. just like I think some of the crazy colors of fishing lures are meant to catch the fishermans eye more than the fish. 2cents

Re: Decoys - 12/04/13 03:04 AM

Originally Posted By: 'Merican duck slaya
From 30 yards they just look like plastic decoys to me where as some of the new GHGs at 30 yards will make you do a double take, but as I stated I think its more about the hunter than the decoys. just like I think some of the crazy colors of fishing lures are meant to catch the fishermans eye more than the fish. 2cents

DING DING DING!! We have a winner

Re: Decoys - 12/04/13 03:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Erichugh22
Best value In my opinion would be storm fronts, aside from paint chipping, those things will never leak, and the pintail and wigeons look pretty good. Best value for not leaking and not having to repaint would be GHG hands down. I've had some for 7 or 8 years now that still have good paint and no leaks.

I noticed a few posts back it looked like you were using those new AvainX decoys, how do you like those if that was in fact the AvainX brand
Posted By: Moto382

Re: Decoys - 12/04/13 03:05 AM

Avian X decoys are awesome and paint is good so far. On my 2nd year using them and paint is good as new.
Posted By: plugandmug

Re: Decoys - 12/04/13 03:08 AM

Cabelas has 8 mallards for $19 online
Posted By: Cody Malone

Re: Decoys - 12/04/13 04:45 AM

I love my GHG deeks, pro grade all the way
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: Decoys - 12/04/13 01:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Erichugh22

I noticed a few posts back it looked like you were using those new AvainX decoys, how do you like those if that was in fact the AvainX brand

I love them. I was skeptical at first because they felt really flimsy, but they have held up extremely well and I am super rough on decoys. The paint hasn't hardly chipped off at all and I think they are some of the most realistic decoys I've seen. The price isn't too bad either, I think 59.99 for 6
Posted By: garrett

Re: Decoys - 12/04/13 01:05 PM

come on Cody, cough up the money for some G&H and they will pay for themselves because they last so long
Posted By: DuckCommanderCowboy28

Re: Decoys - 12/04/13 02:00 PM

popcorn
Posted By: GigEmAggies

Re: Decoys - 12/04/13 02:07 PM

GHG Pro grade spray some Krylon Matte Finish on them right out of the box and your paint will last a lot longer!

Re: Decoys - 12/04/13 02:17 PM

Originally Posted By: GigEmAggies
GHG Pro grade spray some Krylon Matte Finish on them right out of the box and your paint will last a lot longer!

lipstick on a pig my friend, lipstick on a pig
Posted By: Streater

Re: Decoys - 12/04/13 03:32 PM

I have found that this http://www.krylon.com/products/colormaster-acrylic-crystal-clear/ in FLAT works better than Krylon 1311 matte or flat. It actually brings out the color instead of making it dull and hazy. If you apply 2 very light (almost a dusting) coats, you'll be happier with the results than with 1311.
Posted By: kdub

Re: Decoys - 12/04/13 03:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Jacob645
Originally Posted By: sptaylor
Plastic? Wood? Or Foam?

Lots of variables there..

g&h for plastic hands down..

talk to elder on wood blocks

and Longhair Dave can carve a mean foam

You forgot inflatables!
grin

Hey inflatables are badazz. They have great motion & are light, just dont shoot em.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Decoys - 12/04/13 05:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeff Elder
I need some. My clients are wearing out my man o wars!

Stop letting them water swat spoonies just cuz she's hot!

Re: Decoys - 12/04/13 05:34 PM

I almost did this but someone told me a while back that it makes them shine pretty bad, so I decided not to. Apparently that's not the case for you?
Posted By: YoungGunTX

Re: Decoys - 12/04/13 07:17 PM

If your going for a real good deal, just go catch some park ducks an tie some fishing line to them and toss them out in your spread.

Re: Decoys - 12/04/13 07:25 PM

live decoys are illegal
Posted By: YoungGunTX

Re: Decoys - 12/04/13 07:32 PM

Originally Posted By: YoungGunTX
If your going for a real good deal, just go catch some park ducks an tie some fishing line to them and toss them out in your spread.

... hammer
Posted By: Number 1 Barnie

Re: Decoys - 12/04/13 09:37 PM

... hammer

I never read in the TPWD booklet about no live decoys.... nidea

Re: Decoys - 12/04/13 10:57 PM

Its a mojo, jerk string, and decoy all in one package.

I almost did this but someone told me a while back that it makes them shine pretty bad, so I decided not to. Apparently that's not the case for you?

I sprayed mine down. Birds still come in. I haven't noticed any increase in shine, but the colors seem to stand out better
Posted By: Trout-killer

Re: Decoys - 12/05/13 01:12 AM

I use live decoys all the time. Coots swim in... BaM!! Live decoys.
Posted By: hunt91

Re: Decoys - 12/05/13 01:51 AM

Does anyone run the Cherokee Sport decoys? I know the Echo Boys use them but I've never seen them in person.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum