Texas Hunting Forum

Blindside ?

Posted By: Rodngun

Blindside ? - 11/19/13 11:34 AM

This may or may have been discussed..

Has anyone tried the Winchester Blindside yet?I just cant see how a flat sided pellet can fly true and straight ? Is this just another gimmick Federal Vs Winchester and lastly where do they get the term " stacked" from ? I have not shot any or bought any - but a buddy took one apart and the pellets are not "stacked" at all ,they are just dumped into the shot cup like any other pellets.I have and still shoot Winchester Supreme and have done so since it first came out,but I really would like some feedback on the blindside ammo.
Posted By: BMowatt

Re: Blindside ? - 11/19/13 12:16 PM

Stick with what works for you, I couldn't see they were any better then the Kent's I shoot
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Blindside ? - 11/19/13 01:21 PM

Its bad amo, it kicks like a motha
Posted By: quackiller

Re: Blindside ? - 11/19/13 01:40 PM

My dad used it BB on geese and rocked birds far away, he uses a tight choke but my guess is this stuff is even tighter/more irregular patterning than normal steel from my experuence

Re: Blindside ? - 11/19/13 02:53 PM

Their sales went down by 60%
There is a reason for that
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Blindside ? - 11/19/13 03:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Rodngun
This may or may have been discussed..

Has anyone tried the Winchester Blindside yet?I just cant see how a flat sided pellet can fly true and straight ? Is this just another gimmick Federal Vs Winchester and lastly where do they get the term " stacked" from ? I have not shot any or bought any - but a buddy took one apart and the pellets are not "stacked" at all ,they are just dumped into the shot cup like any other pellets.I have and still shoot Winchester Supreme and have done so since it first came out,but I really would like some feedback on the blindside ammo.

Yes! The American population demands new and improved products. For some reason we can't just stick with what works. They have to have the change to collect the almighty dollar. I shot Remington 2 3/4 #6 pellets last weekend. At 35 to 40 yards I hit a wooduck with the full pattern. He died and fell without flapping any longer. He had pellets from front to rear. Those shells have been in the blind for 2 seasons now. I bought them two years ago at Walmart for around $7 or $8 a box. I aint no sucker when it comes to the blindside blackcloud gimmick bullcrap! If they pay Phil Robertson to pimp it, then what else can I say. It is an attempt to take your money and make it their money. Sounds like a democrat.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Blindside ? - 11/19/13 03:12 PM

Im going to start taking cheap winchesters and put them in a colorful eye grabbing box... Think of a cool name like No Fly Zone premium artiliry steel and sell them for $41 a box... Our special never herd of tracing wads actually lock on to the duck in flight... So even if you can't shoot you can kill ducks!!!!!

I'm Gona be rich
Posted By: Marcstar

Re: Blindside ? - 11/19/13 03:22 PM

Yep...pure marketing. The funny point is they say they can stack more pellets but the load sides are pretty much the same as everything else that's out there. Even if they did put more pellets in there you would then be trading that off for slower FPS. With a 3.5" shell space is not an issue the balance between load size and speed is.

And yeah this has been discussed.
Posted By: Teamjefe

Re: Blindside ? - 11/19/13 03:25 PM

I shoot Kent and Kent only
Posted By: Gdogg

Re: Blindside ? - 11/19/13 03:26 PM

Academy was selling some Winchester steel speed loads for 14.99 a box. The speed was 1625fps, definitely the best shell I have ever shot for the price. I went back last weekend and their sold out. mad
Posted By: geotro

Re: Blindside ? - 11/19/13 03:40 PM

I've used it before.... It's not good at all. Out of one box we had 6 cripples and only 4 clean kills. It kicks harder than regular shells. From what I've heard it's also no good for the gun/choke tube. I don't think it flies straight either.

Re: Blindside ? - 11/19/13 03:46 PM

Guys the shape of the pellet does not really matter that much...round pellets don't really fly straight either....think pingpong ball that goes all over the place.
Posted By: geotro

Re: Blindside ? - 11/19/13 03:48 PM

Yea but the round shape has less resistance in air than a square shape. Therefore it flies straighter.

Re: Blindside ? - 11/19/13 04:00 PM

I don't know what to tell you but it does not matter. I mean I could see how intuitively people would assume that.
Posted By: Gdogg

Re: Blindside ? - 11/19/13 04:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Marcstar
I don't know what to tell you but it does not matter. I mean I could see how intuitively people would assume that.

Pellets of any shape to the face is what matters.......

Re: Blindside ? - 11/19/13 04:14 PM

I load up my own and stuff them with .25 carat diamants. Hard stuff right there. I can skyblast 250 yards and hit the migratory birds.

I went back to winchester or rio 2 3/4 nr 4

Plenty

In europe they kill ducks with 2 1/2
Posted By: Featherduster

Re: Blindside ? - 11/19/13 05:51 PM

These threads make me tired.
Posted By: TxHunter96

Re: Blindside ? - 11/19/13 06:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Featherduster
These threads make me tired.
Posted By: Merican Duck Hunter

Re: Blindside ? - 11/19/13 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: wal1809
[quote=Rodngun]This may or may have been discussed..

It is an attempt to take your money and make it their money. Sounds like a democrat.
roflmao

Re: Blindside ? - 11/19/13 07:00 PM

Shoot the bird in the head and It'll die. Don't care if your shooting 10 rounds boxes for $45, or 25 round boxes for $5.99. Doesn't matter if your shooting tungsten, bismuth, copper, steel, or small pebbles you picked up off the ground. Shoot em in the head and they'll die! slinger

Re: Blindside ? - 11/19/13 07:27 PM

Originally Posted By: 'Merican duck slaya
Shoot the bird in the head and It'll die. Don't care if your shooting 10 rounds boxes for $45, or 25 round boxes for $5.99. Doesn't matter if your shooting tungsten, bismuth, copper, steel, or small pebbles you picked up off the ground. Shoot em in the head and they'll die! slinger

You are right on target with that statement!
Posted By: forkie44

Re: Blindside ? - 11/19/13 07:53 PM

Guys just my .02 cents.All these fast loads are taking a toll on guns to expensive and cheap,when you start throwing out 16-1700 fps something has to give and the constant pounding i have seen guns suffering ,i shoot winchester drylocks and thats it 1400fps good shell i think

Re: Blindside ? - 11/19/13 10:26 PM

When I first started duck hunting we had paper hulls and lead...all you needed was a good 20 and jerk line...
I try all the "new" ammo that comes out..still trying to find one that performs close to lead...ain't gonna happen..but its fun to experiment with all the "new" ammo junk.

I try them all...my newest test last year was Remington Hypersonic ...good grief @ 1700 feet per second ..it turned everything into hamburger meat...just mangled the meat ...and the recoil is just ridiculous didn't matter if I shot my 870 or my 11-87....never again..!!
Posted By: Buffs 1

Re: Blindside ? - 11/19/13 10:49 PM

The old Federal Heavyweight loads would perform like lead, but I think they were discontinued (and cost about $5 per shell).

But steel is steel. unless you are dishing out the money for nontoxic loads other than steel, just buy the cheap steel and shoot em in the beak.

Re: Blindside ? - 11/19/13 11:06 PM

I do just fine with Win Supreme....
I just think its comical to watch all these companies try to compete with each other and all the gimmicks ..
They will never convince me that a square flatsided pellets will fly better and hit harder than a round pellet ..but I will say this ...Winchester has one helluva marketing team..the commercials they are putting out are almost believable. Lollll

Re: Blindside ? - 11/19/13 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By: forkie44
Guys just my .02 cents.All these fast loads are taking a toll on guns to expensive and cheap,when you start throwing out 16-1700 fps something has to give and the constant pounding i have seen guns suffering ,i shoot winchester drylocks and thats it 1400fps good shell i think

Yep. 1200 to 1400 is plenty
Posted By: Hooligan

Re: Blindside ? - 11/20/13 12:24 AM

I like kent fast steel but rios have worked just as good. I see no need for a box of shells that expensive
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Blindside ? - 11/20/13 12:42 AM

I shot kent fasteel this weekend outta my 20 gauge and I killed birds around the 40 yard mark.

only thing I thought was odd was in a 3" shell the payload was only 7/8 oz.
Posted By: Moto382

Re: Blindside ? - 11/20/13 12:43 AM

Heavy metal enough said.
Posted By: TxHunter96

Re: Blindside ? - 11/20/13 12:45 AM

Plain ol steel winnies. Enough said.
Posted By: trash2

Re: Blindside ? - 11/20/13 01:40 AM

Heavy metal is a scam. Kinda silly components.
Posted By: Ben Lilly

Re: Blindside ? - 11/20/13 01:44 AM

I've burnt through 2 cases since teal started and still have 40+ hunts to go. When/if these last 4 cases of Kents are gone this season we will switch to Xperts. Not any kind or an authority but I hunt nearly everyday.
Posted By: garrett

Re: Blindside ? - 11/20/13 01:48 AM

better shoot a few boxes before you commit to 'em

Re: Blindside ? - 11/20/13 01:49 AM

yeah, gonna try them out

Re: Blindside ? - 11/20/13 01:51 AM

you'll hate them because they suck, everyone has to go through am expert learning experience

Re: Blindside ? - 11/20/13 01:54 AM

what do you shoot?

Re: Blindside ? - 11/20/13 01:54 AM

kents, inexpensive and effective

Re: Blindside ? - 11/20/13 10:56 AM

I have no problem telling anyone ...XPERTS SUCK....just grab a box ...shoot them on paper ..you will be shocked.

The only 2 rounds I have found that are consistent and fewer cripples (nothing piss' me off more) is Win Supreme & Kent....and both are in the mid price range.

Re: Blindside ? - 11/20/13 11:42 AM

Rooster I would offer you steer clear of Xperts. Kent's are good. I shoot Remington. I read someone had a bad batch and the brass was coming off this year. I have never had a problem, they pattern really good, I will continue to shoot Remington. If you go with 2 3/4 4s or 6s you can get the cost way down. 3 inch is absolutely not needed to kill ducks. I would never use any pellet larger than a 4 for ducks.

Re: Blindside ? - 11/20/13 02:51 PM

I've killed lots of ducks with xperts but also agree they are not great. I like Kent's, the cheap blue box Federals, and Remington.
Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: Blindside ? - 11/20/13 03:10 PM

Marc has spoken, close this thread.

Re: Blindside ? - 11/20/13 05:15 PM

They say he's a bully but I say he speaks the truth.

Re: Blindside ? - 11/20/13 07:01 PM

never had a problem with experts. I've already gone through around a case and a half since teal and haven't had any problems. Also shot them all last year. Unless something fails me I have no reason to stray from it, and I like $10 a box. A contradiction from that last statement, I bought a case of remingtons from rogers last week and I like those too. As long as they go boom and the bird falls, im happy!

Re: Blindside ? - 11/20/13 07:04 PM

Kents...I bought 3 cases of 6's and 3 cases of 4's...great shells, no complaints. I was gonna try a box or 2 of Xperts and see how it goes. I bought the Kents in April and ended up taking a beating on the price by the time season rolled around. Hell, I might not get thru these last 4 cases by the time the season is over. I bought a case of Rem Hvy Dove for dove season and only had 2 instances where the brass came off when my son was shooting them...never seen a shell do that. Still trying to find the happy medium with price and performance in steel shot. Rio is definitely my lead load now, we shot 5 cases during dove season and loved them. As far as Heavyshot, Blindside and so on...Im not going to spend that much on shells...I'm shooting my 870 for one more season and not my Beretta because I cant justify $4 a shell. Plan on buying a newer O/U in the spring that will shoot steel.

Re: Blindside ? - 11/20/13 07:34 PM

Rio makes some great 3 inch nr 3 roost.
I Have to try them sat since i only have 1 box of heavymetal left

Re: Blindside ? - 11/20/13 10:47 PM

I really like the #6's, they keep the birds in good condition. They pattern great in my gun with a pattern master code black also...most birds have holes from their lips to their butt. The few times last year that I shot #2 or #3 I didn't have much luck.
Posted By: Fishhound83

Re: Blindside ? - 11/21/13 02:29 AM

I cut an expert open one time and it looked like a box of nerds. Really oddly shaped pellets. Not a lot of uniformity to the shape.
Posted By: TXHENDO55

Re: Blindside ? - 11/21/13 02:28 PM

If the shape of the pellet doesn't affect the way it flys, then you use a square golf ball and i'll us e a round one and we'll see if it makes a difference.

Anytime you change the way the air flows over the pellet, its going to affect the flight of the pellet. This isn't rocket surgery.
Posted By: Streater

Re: Blindside ? - 11/21/13 02:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Marcstar
They say he's a bully but I say he speaks the truth.

Most would say that he speaks like a douche. smile
Posted By: JakeJJ

Re: Blindside ? - 11/21/13 02:41 PM

Ever seen how accurate an old smooth bore musket is? You couldn't shoot the barn if you were standing in it when them. Just because its round doesn't mean that it will fly better. I'm no physics major though.
Posted By: TXHENDO55

Re: Blindside ? - 11/21/13 02:51 PM

you are also comparing a single projectile out of a smooth bore as opposed to a single projectile out of a rifled bore. With shot, you are trying to achieve a consistent, short shot stream. Irregular pellets will NOT give you as consistent of a pattern as a round pellet.

Re: Blindside ? - 11/21/13 03:07 PM

Hevi Shot turkey load says hello

Cut open Hevi Shot if you can afford too...very irregular yet when they have tight pattern contests that stuff normally wins.

Re: Blindside ? - 11/21/13 04:38 PM

I don't htink it will matter what shape it is at 40 years. The smooth muskets were horribly innacurate but not at 40 yards. Comparing the two will really not get you an answer.
Posted By: Smokin gauge

Re: Blindside ? - 11/24/13 06:12 AM

I don't like them. My favorites are 3" Dryloks #2 or #3's. If you don't mind spending the money go black clouds.
Posted By: Greekangler

Re: Blindside ? - 11/24/13 02:30 PM

Unfortunately, there is correlation with price boys.

No one in their right mind would shoot low end Winchester crap if heavy shot was same price.

That's the facts.

These threads are always a waste of time, IMO
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum