Texas Hunting Forum

Solo?

Posted By: Double__d_ag07

Solo? - 11/12/13 11:22 PM

1st post here, so feel free to let the wise cracks and bs fly. I'm an avid kayak angler who was introduced to duck hunting a few years ago in Houston where I got the bug. I hunt exclusively public up here in good 'ol North Texas and have done pretty good thanks to some scouting and my young legs. Because of my job, I get mostly weekdays off and get the opportunity to get out plenty when it's (hopefully) less crowded. But weekdays usually means hunting solo for me. Just wondering what the general forum consensus is on solo and how many of you guys do it.

Here's a pic (hopefully it works) from last week. 3 spoonies and 2 GWT, one shy of a limit. Big thanks to the guy honking on his mallard call scaring them all my way. Able to decoy two groups and drop one passing...

Posted By: tjhook

Re: Solo? - 11/12/13 11:26 PM

I hunt solo when my partner can't make it and vise versa...but there no issue with it....me and hum will hunt if were both free....and we hunt alot....and welcome
Posted By: Going Green

Re: Solo? - 11/12/13 11:34 PM

I do both. Hunted solo this morning. Hunting tomorrow with a couple others. Sometimes I prefer solo, but having others to break up the gear load is nice too. Welcome!
Posted By: Moto382

Re: Solo? - 11/12/13 11:44 PM

I hunt mainly solo sometimes have a buddy that goes but that's not very often. I'm hunting solo tomorrow and Thursday.
Posted By: Borane4

Re: Solo? - 11/12/13 11:49 PM

Solo a lot. Lots of gear to haul and its a little sketchy when its cold (falling in or getting mired).

Re: Solo? - 11/12/13 11:58 PM

I had a feeling I wasn't the only one crazy enough to hunt solo. I've only done the kayak once and it was a little sketchy with the wind and gear. I will say I prefer having a buddy to enjoy the hike and hunt with. But it feels pretty darn good getting back to the truck solo with a strap of birds.
Posted By: txbowhunt7

Re: Solo? - 11/12/13 11:58 PM

I prefer not to hunt solo though I could every time I go. Having somebody else helps split fuel and gear load, you've got somebody to talk to, but most importantly to me is if something cool happens or you/your buddy shoot something awesome , etc then you have somebody to share that experience with. Everybody has their own preference though.
Posted By: bobcatt

Re: Solo? - 11/13/13 12:04 AM

Welcome! I do hunt solo on kayak too, makes me extremely cautious for safety reasons
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Solo? - 11/13/13 12:10 AM

welcome
Posted By: yakinthebox

Re: Solo? - 11/13/13 12:11 AM

I've hunted solo with my yak several times. I actually prefer to hunt with my brother and we introduced a friend to duck hunting this year. So far this year I haven't had to go solo. But, if they can't go, it is not going to stop me from going.

I have actually done a little better when hunting solo in the past. I think I can focus and keep still/quiet much easier.

There is something hauntingly cool about going in solo and being all alone in the woods or marsh or lake with old mother nature!!!

Re: Solo? - 11/13/13 12:22 AM

Originally Posted By: yakinthebox
There is something hauntingly cool about going in solo and being all alone in the woods or marsh or lake with old mother nature!!!

Agree. More so when yakking in the fog over submerged timber.

I'm gonna be back at it in the morning. My spot is hardly a secret nor a honey hole, but it's a hell of a hike and haven't been skunked yet. Any other solo guys this week, feel free to PM me.
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: Solo? - 11/13/13 12:30 AM

I prefer to hunt with my friends, it makes duck hunting more fun. That said, I will hunt solo although more cautiously. I always bring my dog.
Posted By: samsamthemex

Re: Solo? - 11/13/13 01:02 AM

i have been out all last season by myself!! wife always new where i was, and we would text each other.

this year i havent hunted by my self only once!! got my younger brother into duck hunting, and he has been with me since early teal, that was his first time hunting!!

and this sunday am taking another brother also!! his first time also!

Posted By: yakinthebox

Re: Solo? - 11/22/13 09:38 PM

Originally Posted By: samsamthemex
i have been out all last season by myself!! wife always new where i was, and we would text each other.

this year i havent hunted by my self only once!! got my younger brother into duck hunting, and he has been with me since early teal, that was his first time hunting!!

and this sunday am taking another brother also!! his first time also!

To me, this is what it's all about!
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Solo? - 11/22/13 09:40 PM

Fun stuff!
Posted By: Moe #2

Re: Solo? - 11/22/13 10:06 PM

I thought about inviting someone but I never have enough ducks in front of me for one limit much less two. It would be good to have someone to talk to other than the dog. If someone wants to go one morning pm me it wood be only weekends on public to the east of dallas.
Posted By: txduckhunter

Re: Solo? - 11/22/13 10:20 PM

I usually do not hunt solo - but have done it when necessary.

Can't say that I prefer it because it means more work for just one person - launching the boat, parking the truck, setting the spread, picking up the spread, etc, etc.

However, if it's just you - there's more birds for you - one of my best hunts was solo because I got all the shots.

But, have to say that if I have a preference, I would rather be with another person. For company, for help, and for safety. You never know when something weird can happen and if you at least have one more person, they can help or can get help.
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: Solo? - 11/22/13 10:39 PM

I prefer hunting solo, I like being out there with just the dog without having to listen to anyone talk all morning ( my friend I usually take never shuts up). I won't take the boat out solo though, only walk in.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum