Texas Hunting Forum

Dove Weed?

Posted By: Wingman

Dove Weed? - 10/12/05 12:44 PM

Do these pictures represent what ya'll have been calling "dove weed"?

I,ve been hunting dove for several years, but no one has ever mentioned that I should be looking for this plant as an indicator of a good hunting spot.

How important is it? Is it more or less important as the season goes on?

Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Dove Weed? - 10/12/05 12:53 PM

I would not call that dove weed. What I call dove weed is a rougher looking plant, not as green, smaller leaves and smaller flowers. It really looks like a weed, that looks more like a plant. They do come into the dove weed though and put you a mojo around.

Posted By: First_Chance

Re: Dove Weed? - 10/12/05 12:58 PM

This is dove weed... also known as croton.

Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Dove Weed? - 10/12/05 01:08 PM

Don't know the correct name, but that is what I call dove weed!

Posted By: Big Orn

Re: Dove Weed? - 10/12/05 01:55 PM

Quote:

This is dove weed... also known as croton.

Same thing as we call Goat Weed (Wooly Croton) around here. In very dry seasons, like we have now, they take over the parched, cracked pastures and open areas.

Posted By: forthebirds

Re: Dove Weed? - 10/12/05 02:18 PM

doves like weed

Posted By: txcornhusker

Re: Dove Weed? - 10/12/05 03:05 PM

Quote:

doves like weed

So does forthebirds!!

Posted By: Crazyhorse

Re: Dove Weed? - 10/12/05 04:18 PM

It is like everything else, there are 2 or 3 different sub-species of croton, and in wetter areas, it is going to look different than in areas that aren't getting any or much rain.

Posted By: OFBHWG

Re: Dove Weed? - 10/12/05 05:48 PM

THATS WHAT I CALL GOAT WEED OR DOVE WEED

Posted By: forthebirds

Re: Dove Weed? - 10/12/05 06:43 PM

tch just remember that you were bumming off my pack that night, has your glaucoma anyways

Re: Dove Weed? - 10/12/05 07:43 PM

Thanks Ya'll,

I know what to keep an eye out for now.

But only one person has expressed an opinion about whether it is an important factor in having birds in an area or not. Like will it draw birds on its own or does it need to be combined with a milo or sunflower field.

Posted By: Crazyhorse

Re: Dove Weed? - 10/13/05 12:53 AM

It will draw birds in on its own. Next time you clean a dove, check its crop, if it is full of little black seeds that look like real coarse ground black pepper, that is the seeds from dove weed.

Posted By: texas archer

Re: Dove Weed? - 10/13/05 02:21 AM

We have a 2 acre spot that is all dove weed and grass burrs on our lease. We don't have any sunflowers. We find the dove in that patch more so as the season goes on. I think it is not mature yet at the start of dove season. That is just my opinion though.

Posted By: HunterTed

Re: Dove Weed? - 10/13/05 02:48 AM

I got that stuff all over my lease. Guess thats why the dove hunting is so good. I guess I need to plant some deer weed to make the deer hunting better. I wonder why they call it goat weed my goats won't eat the stinkin stuff.

Posted By: CuzTheyFly

Re: Dove Weed? - 10/19/05 03:10 PM

It is actually more popular with Quail... Doves will ocassionaly smoke it...I mean eat it... But since the stuff grows wild... any large sunflower, milo, or wheat field will give you a better chance to whack doves...When dove hunting, pull the crowl sack out of your first few birds and look at what they have been feeding on... Then match your field location to the specific crop they are munching...

Re: Dove Weed? - 10/20/05 04:41 PM

Good advice!

Thanks

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum