Texas Hunting Forum

Colorado River Laws???

Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Colorado River Laws??? - 10/11/13 07:00 PM

Anyone hunt the Colorado River? I just talked to a Game Warden and was told it is legal to hunt, but you can't allow any projectiles (shot) to cross the plane of the river. Basically, you have to set up in the middle and only shoot the length of the river to stay legal.

Also, you or your dog can't retrieve any birds that fall on anyone else' land.

Has anyone ever had trouble with this?
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/11/13 07:10 PM

Not worth the bs to do it. All it will do is whizz off the landowners.
Posted By: Gill_97

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/11/13 07:33 PM

yup. its best to just stay off the rivers unless you own property that touches it.
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/11/13 07:34 PM

I hunt the colorado a lot, I've never had any problems with landowners. It does help if you get permission from the landowner your hunting by so you don't have to worry about your shot leaving the river or not being able to get your birds. It can be worth the trouble if you stay legal. I've had great hunts on the river. Find an Island to set up on and face straight down or up the river and keep your shots low, you'll be fine.
Posted By: wcbillcollector

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/11/13 07:34 PM

Not worth it. Trust me.

T

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/11/13 07:36 PM

As long as your careful where you shoot then there's nothing that anyone can say about it, you may get questioned by the gw but if your legal then you'll be okay.

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/11/13 07:36 PM

I like how everyone says not worth it though, more hunting area for me
Posted By: KG68

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/11/13 07:46 PM

Gotta be hard up for a place to hunt.

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/11/13 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Erichugh22

Not everyone is trying to cheerleader on their "public" hunting spots. The more you blab about how awesome a public spot is.....especially on here.....the bigger chance your going to have for every jerk off with a boat trying to find your X.......and on the river it won't take long.

T

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/11/13 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By: wcbillcollector

Not everyone is trying to cheerleader on their "public" hunting spots. The more you blab about how awesome a public spot is.....especially on here.....the bigger chance your going to have for every jerk off with a boat trying to find your X.......and on the river it won't take long.

T

Well I mean the river only runs across the entire state, so I'm pretty sure everyone already knows that it's there. That's like saying don't say anything about hunting the coast.
Posted By: garrett

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/11/13 08:15 PM

a lot of people don't even think about hunting rivers, but after seeing this now they will
Posted By: Aggieduck

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/11/13 08:20 PM

Yup I'll be hunting there for the first time this year because of this. Never knew the laws and what not. Didn't really think about it as a public spot. Thanks
Posted By: Centurion

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/11/13 08:25 PM

Whats a good boat for hunting the Colorado River?

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/11/13 08:31 PM

which part?

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/11/13 08:33 PM

Originally Posted By: LTMFH

Probably the same one you use when you talk about hunting the red river

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/11/13 08:34 PM

Not hard up for a hunting spot... have several places including farm ponds and the coast, but nothing as close as the Colorado. I am a teacher and football coach who loves to hunt which doesn't mix (money and time-wise). I had always heard you can hunt the CO River so I finally called a game warden to get the facts. I plan on trying it out this year...seems like the hassle is worth it!!!

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/11/13 08:36 PM

I have a 12 ft john boat with a little outboard. The water is slow so you don't need much.

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/11/13 08:49 PM

T

Well I mean the river only runs across the entire state, so I'm pretty sure everyone already knows that it's there. That's like saying don't say anything about hunting the coast.

Yeah...sorry... kind of came across as an azz. Just a sore subject with me.

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/11/13 08:54 PM

T

Yeah...sorry... kind of came across as an azz. Just a sore subject with me.

Trust me I'm not one to ever name a lake or a spot, just trying to help this guy with the laws.
Posted By: Ricochet83

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/11/13 09:02 PM

So the whole river except for the banks obviously is Public on the colorado river?
Posted By: Ricochet83

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/11/13 09:15 PM

PS i dont like hunting rivers so not gonna go try to steal spots i was just curious if it broke out in sections or the whole thing.
Posted By: 3 shots 1 kill.

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/11/13 10:55 PM

popcorn

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/11/13 11:00 PM

When hinting a river it's not so much the GW you gotta worry about as much as the local LEO's that don't have a clue on the law of rivers.

That might be the voice of experience talking

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/11/13 11:20 PM

Originally Posted By: garrett
When hinting a river it's not so much the GW you gotta worry about as much as the local LEO's that don't have a clue on the law of rivers.

I've had land owners call the sheriff on me a few times but there was nothing he could do, he usually just Checks my license and let's me go. They always tell me they know were doing nothing wrong but they have to come if they get a call. Not all sheriffs deputies may be like the ones I've sealed with though. Had a cop called on me once too for carrying my shotgun from the truck to my canoe.

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/11/13 11:22 PM

Made a lady with her dog "nervous" he said
Posted By: Homey da Clown

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/12/13 12:10 AM

Originally Posted By: DuckCoach1985
I have a 12 ft john boat with a little outboard. The water is slow so you don't need much.

You ain't getting far. When the bottom falls out of the river depth in a couple weeks that little outboard ain't gonna get you anywhere you can hunt I can assure you. And these guys are correct..landowners are getting really pissy about all the duckhunting going on. I am good friends with several wardens that patrol the CR and due to all the the BS and douchebaggery going on by idiots setting up too close to houses and the incessant trespassing by projectile I am hearing this is the year the BS stops. That reads Mr. Greenjeans will be watching and videotaping from behind that tree when you ain't looking. Don't believe me? Just try it and see what happens...Just remember I warned you so don't come back on this forum crying ang whining how Mr. Greenjeans is a big ol meanie that wrote you a fat ticket.

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/12/13 12:37 AM

I hunt the colorado a lot, I've never had any problems with landowners. It does help if you get permission from the landowner your hunting by so you don't have to worry about your shot leaving the river or not being able to get your birds. It can be worth the trouble if you stay legal. I've had great hunts on the river. Find an Island to set up on and face straight down or up the river and keep your shots low, you'll be fine.

Aren't you the poser who was on here last season bragging how you were setting up close to houses to hunt but you were out of the city limits so that was tough [censored] for the homeowners that live right there? See you are the problem grasshopper...Even though you may have been within the tape measure doesn't mean homeowners won't complain enough for disturbing the peace and get things shut down all together. Now you are on here giving advice. That's funny.

Tell ya what, topwater, I quit hunting the river due to wannabe's like you takin over and thinking you can do what you want. I got a hunsky that says you get popped this season for shooting across the river. I ain't buying that shooting low and within the riverway. You are shooting across and you know it. Just a matter of time before you get popped... I have a friend that lives in the area you are hunting and rest assured the homeowners in that area are gonna shut you down this year.
Posted By: Jeff Elder

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/12/13 01:32 AM

Tell him HTC!!! I don't want that top water jacking up my Centex mallard holes!!

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/12/13 01:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Homey da Clown

Aren't you the poser who was on here last season bragging how you were setting up close to houses to hunt but you were out of the city limits so that was tough [censored] for the homeowners that live right there? See you are the problem grasshopper...Even though you may have been within the tape measure doesn't mean homeowners won't complain enough for disturbing the peace and get things shut down all together. Now you are on here giving advice. That's funny.

Tell ya what, topwater, I quit hunting the river due to wannabe's like you takin over and thinking you can do what you want. I got a hunsky that says you get popped this season for shooting across the river. I ain't buying that shooting low and within the riverway. You are shooting across and you know it. Just a matter of time before you get popped... I have a friend that lives in the area you are hunting and rest assured the homeowners in that area are gonna shut you down this year.

Okay first of all you a$$ wipe I said I decided it was best not to cause any problems and hunt a different area last year, I said I wanted to hunt that spot but I never did. Second of all how the hell would you know if I'm breaking laws or not? I'm a very responsible hunter and I take great offense to someone telling me otherwise. I'm no liar either, I have never broke a game law and I never will. Idk who you think you are acting like you know me.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/12/13 02:02 AM

I hunt the river a lot... Give a damn what green pants says, if I don't break any laws he can go pound sand.

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/12/13 02:12 AM

Idk who you think you are acting like you know me.

He is CTJ!!

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/12/13 02:25 AM

Don't question central texas jesus, he is the bestest and smartest duck hunter in central Texas...any man that can kill straps of mallards in Buda Texas knows his stuff...how dare you sir!!!

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/12/13 02:35 AM

I bet with a godevil you could get anywhere on that river you wanted>

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/12/13 03:25 AM

Do the children need popcorn ???
Posted By: Fastduck

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/12/13 03:31 AM

the loudest airboat you can find

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/12/13 03:36 PM

You seem like a pretty nice and educated guy.. glad you're able to give me some good advice.

No doubt there is always 'that guy' who is going to ruin things for the rest of us but I'm not one of those guys.

Clearly you aren't either. up

Just looking for a spot closer to home for those day trips. Gotta get that duck meat somehow. grill

As for the little motor (15hp btw) that won't get me anywhere... it has taken me on many river fishing trips and on a small boat does a good job getting us where we need to go.

I have yet to capsize or starve to death.
Posted By: KG68

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/12/13 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Fastduck

Airboat huh? scratch

Posted By: Fastduck

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/12/13 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By: KG68

Airboat huh? scratch

The lower colorado is mostly sand bars.... scratch

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/12/13 08:04 PM

Don't question central texas jesus, he is the bestest and smartest duck hunter in central Texas...any man that can kill straps of mallards in Buda Texas knows his stuff...how dare you sir!!!

And don't you forget it! You just stick to killin your trashducks on your rice patty and stinky marsh and leave the real bird killin to me. yingyang

Mallards in Buda...you funny, round eye roflmao

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/12/13 08:08 PM

Originally Posted By: DuckCoach1985
You seem like a pretty nice and educated guy.. glad you're able to give me some good advice.

No doubt there is always 'that guy' who is going to ruin things for the rest of us but I'm not one of those guys.

Clearly you aren't either. up

Just looking for a spot closer to home for those day trips. Gotta get that duck meat somehow. grill

As for the little motor (15hp btw) that won't get me anywhere... it has taken me on many river fishing trips and on a small boat does a good job getting us where we need to go.

I have yet to capsize or starve to death.

You ain't gonna risk capsize on any river unless you are stupid enough to run one after a flooding rain gets the CFS pumping too fast.

remember this, spring/summer water levels are higher than winter levels. The CR will drop like a rock in a couple weeks. Mucho rocks..be careful out there in that little schooner
Posted By: txduckhunter

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/13/13 02:37 AM

The lcra has been releasing water for the mussels or snails or some protected species so water level bad plus hycienth taking over will clog up any prop and especially jets
Not many birds at all and the BS from landowners and birdwatchers just wasnt worth the hassle anymore
I used to hunt there so to answer the legal question yes but only in certain areas but like everyone else has been saying there's legal and then there's comfortable and fun
I dont find it to be either when you have a homeowner yelling thd entire time you're trying to hunt
Then have to deal with the hassle from birdwatchers and other public users back at the ramp because you were hunting
Thats my 2 cents you can do what you want with it

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/13/13 03:13 AM

Originally Posted By: TXDUCKHUNTER
The lcra has been releasing water for the mussels or snails or some protected species so water level bad plus hycienth taking over will clog up any prop and especially jets
Not many birds at all and the BS from landowners and birdwatchers just wasnt worth the hassle anymore
I used to hunt there so to answer the legal question yes but only in certain areas but like everyone else has been saying there's legal and then there's comfortable and fun
I dont find it to be either when you have a homeowner yelling thd entire time you're trying to hunt
Then have to deal with the hassle from birdwatchers and other public users back at the ramp because you were hunting
Thats my 2 cents you can do what you want with it

All that just makes me want to go more
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/13/13 06:56 AM

Like someone spotlighting hogs at night. Legal and acceptable, but often people will think you spotlighting deer and call you in, so it is best to call the area game warden and let him know in advance.

This is one of those things with hunting rivers if it is not a section known for public duck hunting. For example I scouted via kayak from a bridge access a section of the Brazos once just after duck season ended. I was looking for a wide section I had found on Google Earth. I found it and it had several ducks present when I paddled to it.

I called the Game warden for the region, asked about the exact location, if he was aware of any adjacent landowner or hunter problems, asked it was located in any area of city limits that might have no hunting rules and so on.

I let him know I was aware of the shooting over property law, trespassing law, waste of game law, no driving in the river bed law (in relation to launching). Also I let him know I was aware that there were deer stands in the area visible from the river and that I would not be hunting on the river until after deer season out of consideration to the deer hunters. And that I would be hunting from my boat or from a gravel bar and be selective on my shots for clean kills and only up or down river and never in the direction of adjacent property.

The point being I told him he will still likely get a call on me from landowners or ranchers in the area and if he would like me to let him know when I am hunting as a courtesy. He did not, but told me I had a great idea and would probably have a honey hole to myself for years go come.

Posted By: GravyWheels

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/13/13 01:40 PM

Used to hunt the lower CO a lot. It was some really good hunting that is inaccessible to 90% of the people. Got to have the right boat and know where and how to run it. No mallets there to speak of. Mostly a brown bag hunt of gads, widgeon and teal. Fun hunting rivers, but not for everyone...

Dave

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/13/13 03:27 PM

All a moot point now fellers....River is 25' above normal level and flowing at amost 30,000 cfs out of Austin and headed downstream. Anyone that had any aspirations of trying their luck might as well think about plan B cuz that river is toast!!
Posted By: TxHunter96

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/13/13 04:50 PM

Because it definitely will flow at 30,000 all season.... rolleyes

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/13/13 05:15 PM

Originally Posted By: TxHunter96

I swear you DD wannabes have to have everything laid out for you. Here's a little morsel for you, Barney..

When a river has a 25' wall of water moving at 30K cfs per second, NOTHING will remain. All food, if any is present, will be gone. That reads: in case you are slow, THERE WON'T BE MANY IF ANY BIRDS ON IT DURING THE SEASON.

That one is on the house, grasshopper
Posted By: TxHunter96

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/13/13 05:34 PM

You must feel like a master duck killer. Glad I could get such wisdom from a man like you

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/13/13 05:41 PM

You must feel like a master duck killer. Glad I could get such wisdom from a man like you

Never claimed to be... Don't be so quick to smart off when someone is trying to help you understand something and you might just learn a thing or 2 about a thing or 2.
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/13/13 07:07 PM

Homey don't play dat
Posted By: Featherduster

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/13/13 07:46 PM

Sent you a pm

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/13/13 07:48 PM

When a river has a 25' wall of water moving at 30K cfs per second, NOTHING will remain. All food, if any is present, will be gone.

That one is on the house, grasshopper

Word

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/13/13 07:48 PM

Yep a duck will never ever land there again for at least 50 years. Resting and eating aquatic vegetation are all highly over rated to begin with.

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/13/13 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeff Elder
Yep a duck will never ever land there again for at least 50 years. Resting and eating aquatic vegetation are all highly over rated to begin with.

Never fails, you always got some smart arse comment
Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/13/13 07:52 PM

Centex mallards don't get a chance to rest when CTJ is in the area

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/13/13 07:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Featherduster

word

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/13/13 09:10 PM

And don't you forget it! You just stick to killin your trashducks on your rice patty and stinky marsh and leave the real bird killin to me. yingyang

Mallards in Buda...you funny, round eye roflmao

the rice pattys and marsh are for the teal and specklebellys you silly rabbit, everyone knows that

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/13/13 09:12 PM

Fetherduster, if I ran this outfit I would dock Elders wages for joshing with ya up

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/13/13 09:16 PM

Happy Birthday Feather Duster.

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/13/13 09:17 PM

Yep river is toast, all the food will be washed out. Sucks, that river had solid duckweed all the way across it in some of my spots.
Posted By: quackiller

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/13/13 09:30 PM

yup the river is totally destroyed for duck hunting now, it was looking good for a long time there but all it takes is one good rain. Look for birds to be thin and spread out across every stock tank in the region. Shoot at them once and theyll move on to safe private ponds that no one bothers them at
Posted By: Youngin'

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/13/13 09:40 PM

Hell I might just have to bring back my 14ft john and see what all the fuss is about.
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/13/13 09:55 PM

Originally Posted By: KG68

Airboat huh? scratch

An airboat will slide right across the rocks. You would have to let off the gas because it will go too fast.
Posted By: JKD

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/13/13 10:05 PM

That's the truth! Glad we got that all worked out laugh
Posted By: wal1809

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/13/13 10:12 PM

There is a way to educate the local LEO. You just got to have a bite instead of a bark.

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/14/13 03:36 AM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Happy Birthday Feather Duster.

Thanks ya sir!

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/14/13 04:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Sniper John
Like someone spotlighting hogs at night. Legal and acceptable, but often people will think you spotlighting deer and call you in, so it is best to call the area game warden and let him know in advance.

This is one of those things with hunting rivers if it is not a section known for public duck hunting. For example I scouted via kayak from a bridge access a section of the Brazos once just after duck season ended. I was looking for a wide section I had found on Google Earth. I found it and it had several ducks present when I paddled to it.

I called the Game warden for the region, asked about the exact location, if he was aware of any adjacent landowner or hunter problems, asked it was located in any area of city limits that might have no hunting rules and so on.

I let him know I was aware of the shooting over property law, trespassing law, waste of game law, no driving in the river bed law (in relation to launching). Also I let him know I was aware that there were deer stands in the area visible from the river and that I would not be hunting on the river until after deer season out of consideration to the deer hunters. And that I would be hunting from my boat or from a gravel bar and be selective on my shots for clean kills and only up or down river and never in the direction of adjacent property.

The point being I told him he will still likely get a call on me from landowners or ranchers in the area and if he would like me to let him know when I am hunting as a courtesy. He did not, but told me I had a great idea and would probably have a honey hole to myself for years go come.

Thanks!

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/14/13 06:09 PM

Fetherduster, if I ran this outfit I would dock Elders wages for joshing with ya up

If this is a Lonesome Dove reference.... cheers

you just moved way up in my book.... Not that my book means anything.

Re: Colorado River Laws??? - 10/14/13 06:10 PM

good catch coach
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum