Texas Hunting Forum

ground blinds for pooches

Posted By: Homey da Clown

ground blinds for pooches - 10/08/13 06:19 AM

need to get a hide-a-pooch for when the layout blinds come out this season. Several on the market these days . Which ones are decent, which ones are crap?
Posted By: Greg

Re: ground blinds for pooches - 10/08/13 08:21 AM

I used to use the mutt hut 2 and it worked great. I had a smaller dog though. If yours is over 65-70lbs, I'd probably get something bigger.
Posted By: Guy

Re: ground blinds for pooches - 10/08/13 12:43 PM

I started hunting out of a layout blind with Molly 2008, and have been using burlap from day 1. I like it better than those mutt huts, it pack/stores nicely in the layout blind, its more versatile, you have more control over your dog, and you can completely cover up your dog when need.

Here is how I set up. Say your feet is pointing 6:00, if you are right handed which I am, your optimal swing range is 2:00 to 6:00, I set my blind up where birds come in 3:00 to 4:00 (see pic below, gun pointing 3:00 to 4:00). And my dog I have on my right, she peaks over my legs in direction the birds come, and with this angel, you do not shoot over your dog and you have better control over dog breaking or creeping, like the pic below...

Pic below, with the logs laying around my blind, she comes in from the back and lays down right up next to me, and I just throw the burlap over her..

That mutt hut would just not work for me and the way I hunt layout blinds.
Posted By: Charlito

Re: ground blinds for pooches - 10/08/13 04:55 PM

I made one out of PVC and burlap a couple seasons ago.. Then I realized that as long as the dog isn't moving around the ducks could care less...
Posted By: Ben Lilly

Re: ground blinds for pooches - 10/08/13 05:30 PM

I have a Rig 'em Right Field Bully. I needed a big one cause I have a big dog. Accordion collapsible design, great materials and looks good with killerweed attached. I had to zip tie the back open so he would go in the right side though.
Posted By: Trout-killer

Re: ground blinds for pooches - 10/08/13 05:32 PM

How bigs your dog Rooster?

Re: ground blinds for pooches - 10/08/13 05:34 PM

110lbs, havent had him weighed in awhile...likely a lil lighter these days
Posted By: Trout-killer

Re: ground blinds for pooches - 10/08/13 05:37 PM

Cool. I've looked at blinds before but didn't know if my dog would fit in any. He has been in one but I thought it was going to pop. lol. He is about the same as yours.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: ground blinds for pooches - 10/08/13 05:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Greg
I used to use the mutt hut 2 and it worked great. I had a smaller dog though. If yours is over 65-70lbs, I'd probably get something bigger.

Awesome pic

Re: ground blinds for pooches - 10/08/13 05:39 PM

How big is rooster?

Re: ground blinds for pooches - 10/08/13 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
How big is rooster?

6'6" 260lbs....and I dont fit in the dog blind...here is a pic of Bo today.

Re: ground blinds for pooches - 10/08/13 05:42 PM

Beaver hides his dog in a coffee can
Posted By: huck18

Re: ground blinds for pooches - 10/08/13 05:53 PM

The Avery one that looks like a tent is great. It pops up with the pull of a string, and folds back down just as easy. It comes with straps to attached brush to. Great blind. This will be my third season using it and I have no complaints.
Posted By: garrett

Re: ground blinds for pooches - 10/08/13 06:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Homey da Clown
need to get a hide-a-pooch for when the layout blinds come out this season. Several on the market these days . Which ones are decent, which ones are crap?

with all that talk you do about chasing mallards in the timber I figured you would be looking for a stand for the hound not a tent clap

thats all I've got, I dont use a mutt tent, i have a chessie

Re: ground blinds for pooches - 10/08/13 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By: garrett
Originally Posted By: Homey da Clown

with all that talk you do about chasing mallards in the timber I figured you would be looking for a stand for the hound not a tent clap

thats all I've got, I dont use a mutt tent, i have a chessie

Timber stand is collecting dust. Its called rain..and a lot of it is needed before it makes it into the boat here in TX. But it will be traveling to Okie with me quite a bit this season yingyang

Both my soil lakes are down and the waterline is 40 yards from the brushline. Gonna be layouts til they come up. Water has come up a bit and is into grass but still need 18"-2' more water and I'll be flush and hiding in da bushes. thus hide-a-pooch needed. Broomweed is thick in area..getting everything hid won't be an issues

Re: ground blinds for pooches - 10/08/13 10:37 PM

Originally Posted By: RoosterCogburn13
Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
How big is rooster?

6'6" 260lbs....and I dont fit in the dog blind...here is a pic of Bo today.

Quit bating your backyard!

Re: ground blinds for pooches - 10/08/13 10:37 PM

Originally Posted By: RoosterCogburn13
Beaver hides his dog in a coffee can

True
Posted By: brazosboyt

Re: ground blinds for pooches - 10/08/13 11:38 PM

I Use the mutt hut also. But it's a very short blind is my dog is only about 35 pounds. I should be in Austin sometime the next couple weeks I will throw it in the truck and we can meet for lunch if you want to.
Posted By: Jeff Elder

Re: ground blinds for pooches - 10/09/13 01:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Charlito
I made one out of PVC and burlap a couple seasons ago.. Then I realized that as long as the dog isn't moving around the ducks could care less...

And CBR's come in dead grass straight from the factory

Re: ground blinds for pooches - 10/09/13 01:28 AM

Originally Posted By: brazosboyt
I Use the mutt hut also. But it's a very short blind is my dog is only about 35 pounds. I should be in Austin sometime the next couple weeks I will throw it in the truck and we can meet for lunch if you want to.

Preciate it Todd but prolly won't work for Bodie..he's one of dem tall lanky 65 lb field trial pooches. But holla at a brutha whenever in town and lets grab a bite. I wanna pick your brain on some grocery ideas I have.

Re: ground blinds for pooches - 10/09/13 01:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Jeff Elder
Originally Posted By: Charlito

And CBR's come in dead grass straight from the factory

win yingyang
Posted By: wst

Re: ground blinds for pooches - 10/09/13 02:33 AM

Hardcore blind for mine
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: ground blinds for pooches - 10/09/13 03:31 AM

Those are some great pictures.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum