Texas Hunting Forum

any luck on north tx public land?

Posted By: wlgorman

any luck on north tx public land? - 09/28/13 05:16 PM

Anyone? Been to most of the regular lakes within an hour of the metroplex and the low water is obviously making it tough but seeing no teal and very few nonresident birds. Not asking for specifics, just seeing how everyone is doing in general on public land.

Beginning to think this season will be a wash for us 'pubbers'.
Posted By: mohunter

Re: any luck on north tx public land? - 09/28/13 06:35 PM

Not this weekend.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: any luck on north tx public land? - 09/28/13 06:40 PM

It has been much slower than recent year.
Posted By: Guy

Re: any luck on north tx public land? - 09/28/13 07:48 PM

I found a roost in a bunch of lily pads. Birds been roosting there for a few days. BWT, wood duck, and other big ducks. First 10 minutes of legal and they are gone, then no birds. Hard to pick out the BWT that early, mixed with other ducks, and taking off really can't see wing beat...
Posted By: wlgorman

Re: any luck on north tx public land? - 09/28/13 08:21 PM

Lack of water makes it tough. I can hunt durong the week so I can get around the competition. But it seems like there are flat out no spots off the main body of water, even more so than last year...which was pretty bad in itself.
Posted By: Jeff Elder

Re: any luck on north tx public land? - 09/28/13 08:29 PM

Gorman, did you ever finish those decoys?
Posted By: Aggieduck

Re: any luck on north tx public land? - 09/28/13 09:32 PM

Originally Posted By: wlgorman

Beginning to think this season will be a wash for us 'pubbers'.

Were getting rain but I don't think it's enough to make big water difference. Those with ponds should have full tanks to hunt for the first split. I have access to two ponds and they are both full and are catching more water as we speak

I usually hunt public 90% of the time it's going to be a rough year no doubt
Posted By: chesterc

Re: any luck on north tx public land? - 09/30/13 05:07 AM

I spent the morning of 9/21 on the public land near Josephine/Nevada/Royse City looking for dove. Never saw or heard any. Heard some shooting in the distance but one guy who stopped to chat said he'd only seen 1 or 2 that morning on a nearby public plot.
Posted By: samsamthemex

Re: any luck on north tx public land? - 09/30/13 11:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Guy
I found a roost in a bunch of lily pads. Birds been roosting there for a few days. BWT, wood duck, and other big ducks. First 10 minutes of legal and they are gone, then no birds. Hard to pick out the BWT that early, mixed with other ducks, and taking off really can't see wing beat...

that was my prob sunday!! the 1st 10 minutes of legal on sunday was about the only chance!! had 3-4 big groups!!! but it was still to dark to tell!! been seeing alot more spoonies lately!! we ended up only shooting one teal yesterday!!

saturdday in the rain was a diff. story!!! me and my bro, had 5 each by 745, was wanting to stay for the last one each till the lighting hit!!! laying in the mud and holding a metal pipe in my hand didnt seem to smart so we left!!
Posted By: jfaust

Re: any luck on north tx public land? - 09/30/13 01:28 PM

No dove in D'Hanis, Hondo area this weekend, water levels very low
Posted By: Creek Henry

Re: any luck on north tx public land? - 09/30/13 02:46 PM

Man... haven't even seen many dove at the apartments where I live and almost none in the public fields.

We are still waiting for a cold snap up north (ie: Oklahoma where the yankees live!) but it may be a long wait.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum