Texas Hunting Forum

Questions regarding duck hunting

Posted By: AO2000

Questions regarding duck hunting - 09/21/13 05:57 PM

I live in Corpus Christi and am a very avid kayak fisher. I've always wanted to beach my kayak up on a shore and hunt ducks.. Someone told me this was legal, but I didn't know for sure.. Can someone give me a break down as to what I would need to do to get setup hunting from a kayak?

I've been hunting all my life, but never ducks.. It's something that I would love to be apart of, just need guidance to get me in the right direction.. Thanks to all..
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: Questions regarding duck hunting - 09/21/13 06:01 PM

Game warden told me that everything below the high tide mark is public land and you can hunt it. But you may wanna check with your local game warden first because they may interpret the laws differently
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: Questions regarding duck hunting - 09/21/13 07:08 PM

Look here for numerous laws regarding public river and water laws

(Links related to public hunting on Texas Rivers)

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u...ES_A#Post348583
Posted By: Trout-killer

Re: Questions regarding duck hunting - 09/21/13 08:05 PM

Originally Posted By: FallinFeathers
Game warden told me that everything below the high tide mark is public land and you can hunt it. But you may wanna check with your local game warden first because they may interpret the laws differently

I believe its the mean tide level. If it was high tide then what high tide? Highs for summer and winter are different. Also, what about hunting the inflated high tide of a south shoreline with a strong northern blowing. Or the opposite; a abnormally low "high" tide after the water has had a chance to exit the bay?

But yes, check with your local GW for your area about what areas are and aren't off limits.

Re: Questions regarding duck hunting - 09/21/13 09:28 PM

He told told me any land that wa tidally influenced, so if the water reaches it at any time then it's public land.

Re: Questions regarding duck hunting - 09/21/13 09:29 PM

He actually told me I could hunt the bank of the wildlife refuge as long as I didn't pass the tide mark and my birds didn't go into the refuge.
Posted By: Trout-killer

Re: Questions regarding duck hunting - 09/21/13 09:54 PM

Hmmm.... Maybe I was told incorrectly. Wouldn't be the first time.
Posted By: duckboy007

Re: Questions regarding duck hunting - 09/21/13 11:47 PM

Trout, it's the "mean high tide", which is a legal boundary consisting of the average high tide, twice a day, for the last 18 years. Set by the supreme court herself. That is the property boundary for coastal waters.

Basically, if your feet stay wet, you're good to hunt almost anywhere. There are some areas that are off limits, near houses, shipping lanes, etc.
Posted By: TXPride

Re: Questions regarding duck hunting - 09/22/13 03:29 AM

It depends on the game warden when it comes to that, it's tough to justify and enforce that. My local gw down there told me he used the vegetation line as reference.

However, back to the original post...if you are in corpus with a kayak, you will have advantage to a ton of spots that are GLO which is public. For a beginner down there with a kayak, focus on the back lakes with your limited decoys. Be sure you get good at identifying redheads and pintail.

Good luck. I'm fairly familiar with that area so you can send a pm with specific questions.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum