Texas Hunting Forum

Newbie to duck hunting ?

Posted By: creekwilly

Newbie to duck hunting ? - 09/21/13 12:16 AM

Just move and have a friend from college that duck hunts. And I'm going to go with him. So here is the question what choke does majority of y'all use?
Posted By: Dkhntr

Re: Newbie to duck hunting ? - 09/21/13 12:25 AM

Ic or mod in my 870
Posted By: Guy

Re: Newbie to duck hunting ? - 09/21/13 12:37 AM

I like shooting them close, so IC works best for me. I shoot it year round never take it out, dove, duck, and clay during the off season. I hate the long clay shots, only time I need a mod.
Posted By: duckman10

Re: Newbie to duck hunting ? - 09/21/13 12:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Guy
I like shooting them close, so IC works best for me. I shoot it year round never take it out, dove, duck, and clay during the off season. I hate the long clay shots, only time I need a mod.

X2
Posted By: JT Evans

Re: Newbie to duck hunting ? - 09/21/13 01:08 AM

A steel shot pattern will act differently than lead shot. The outer layers of the lead load will deform or wear away which outside of the muzzle will produce flyers that contribute to the wider pattern.

Steel doesn't wear so (granted I haven't done pattern tests) but from what I have read from reloading manuals and literature a steel load is slower to open up as a result. Therefore using an IC for steel is more equivalent Modified pattern.

I have made pass shots out to 35-40 yards on greenheads and widgeon with Drylock 4s and had complete penetration using IC.

Good luck.

JT
Posted By: 1FowlHntR

Re: Newbie to duck hunting ? - 09/21/13 01:40 AM

Improved Cylinder here as well. good all around choke for ducks.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Newbie to duck hunting ? - 09/21/13 02:14 AM

Made easy ic shots with lead at 50-60 yards.
Buts that lead.

With steel, i would still use ic, and you prolly get 40-50 max
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Newbie to duck hunting ? - 09/21/13 02:18 AM

IM
Posted By: creekwilly

Re: Newbie to duck hunting ? - 09/21/13 02:26 AM

I dove hunt all the time. And never hunted ducks so will be my first year. I heard steel patterns different than lead. Thanks for all the info.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Newbie to duck hunting ? - 09/21/13 02:30 AM

Ic or will c
Posted By: Ben Lilly

Re: Newbie to duck hunting ? - 09/21/13 02:33 AM

Will C hunts ducks with an icy stare
Posted By: Aggieduck

Re: Newbie to duck hunting ? - 09/21/13 02:45 AM

IC for ducks mod for dove. You can you IC all year but I think I get more dead dove with a mod.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum