Texas Hunting Forum

Dove hunting with DJ Farms.....

Posted By: phat694

Dove hunting with DJ Farms..... - 08/26/13 12:32 AM

Anyone else signed up with them this year? Anyone on here meeting up for THF hunts?
Posted By: Fallen Feathers Taxidermy

Re: Dove hunting with DJ Farms..... - 08/26/13 12:34 AM

I'm on it this year but don't know of any THF hunts going on.

Re: Dove hunting with DJ Farms..... - 08/26/13 12:43 AM

I know there's a few other folks signed up with them on here.....maybe we could meet up or something.
Posted By: jde

Re: Dove hunting with DJ Farms..... - 08/26/13 01:10 AM

I have signed up with them, its my first time to hunt this property but from the scouting it dont look bad.
Posted By: J-Conn

Re: Dove hunting with DJ Farms..... - 08/26/13 01:29 AM

I'm hunting there this year. I got the duck/varmint package. I took my toor this past Saturday.

Re: Dove hunting with DJ Farms..... - 08/26/13 02:56 AM

Sounds good if anyone want to get together and do some hunting lets go. I only got the dove package.
Posted By: dallasdawg

Re: Dove hunting with DJ Farms..... - 08/26/13 02:58 AM

I am with them again this year. This will be my third. Happy to meet up with anybody.
Posted By: Bookem

Re: Dove hunting with DJ Farms..... - 08/26/13 03:28 AM

I'm up there with you. Would enjoy getting together. Looks like its going to be a good spread. Would be better if we could get some rain.
Posted By: Wolverine

Re: Dove hunting with DJ Farms..... - 08/26/13 04:05 AM

This will be my first year. I have the combo pkg. I won't be up opening weekend but I'd be happy to meet some new guys.

Re: Dove hunting with DJ Farms..... - 08/27/13 01:03 AM

I will most likely hunt sunday afternoon and or monday morning and do the BBQ.
Posted By: J McCoy

Re: Dove hunting with DJ Farms..... - 08/27/13 01:06 AM

I'm signed up, anyone done some scouting yet? my prospects are not so hot on north side.

Re: Dove hunting with DJ Farms..... - 08/27/13 01:13 AM

There's a few fields that look promising but they are the bigger ones. Or the ones with cut wheat near water.
Posted By: Dkhntr

Re: Dove hunting with DJ Farms..... - 08/27/13 01:23 AM

I have dove and duck and scouted. I live 6 mi from the lenord side if any one wants to meet up some time.
Posted By: dallasdawg

Re: Dove hunting with DJ Farms..... - 08/27/13 03:20 AM

Am I seeing this right? On the maps, it is showing that the big tank that cut 4846 in half is no longer on the dove lease? Is this correct?
Posted By: mbole

Re: Dove hunting with DJ Farms..... - 08/27/13 03:47 AM

That is correct
Posted By: UAFlyfisher

Re: Dove hunting with DJ Farms..... - 08/27/13 04:23 AM

This is me and my wife's first time on the lease. So far my scouting seems to be finding more birds on the Leonard side of the lease. I guess we'll see what the week brings us.
Posted By: cyphertext

Re: Dove hunting with DJ Farms..... - 08/27/13 05:50 AM

Originally Posted By: UAFlyfisher
This is me and my wife's first time on the lease. So far my scouting seems to be finding more birds on the Leonard side of the lease. I guess we'll see what the week brings us.

I've been on that lease in the past, and it did seem that the Leonard side was more productive than the Howe side as the season went on.
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Dove hunting with DJ Farms..... - 08/27/13 06:05 PM

Originally Posted By: J McCoy
I'm signed up, anyone done some scouting yet? my prospects are not so hot on north side.
Are you talking about the west side? I have been on the lease for 6 or 7 years and hunted over there a little bit one year. I hunted between Howe and Gunter a lot growing up and it was normally pretty good. I am scouting on the Leonard side Saturday. There is so much property that it is hard to choose sometimes. After 7 years though I have a good idea where to start.
Posted By: J McCoy

Re: Dove hunting with DJ Farms..... - 08/27/13 07:08 PM

yeah west side, didn't see anything moving last few evenings

Re: Dove hunting with DJ Farms..... - 08/28/13 04:59 AM

For those of you who have been on the lease for a few years, how crowded is opening day on most of the fields? I haven't seen anyone else while I've been scouting, so I'm wondering if most of the guys who have been on awhile just go back to the same area every year.

Re: Dove hunting with DJ Farms..... - 08/28/13 10:43 AM

For those of you who have been on the lease for a few years, how crowded is opening day on most of the fields? I haven't seen anyone else while I've been scouting, so I'm wondering if most of the guys who have been on awhile just go back to the same area every year.
good fields can get crowded. Word seems to travel fast. On 2 ocassions I have run in to real idiots. 2 years ago it came to words. Idiot tried to set up behind me in nothing but a drainage area with tall weeds. In another case a guy plopped done in the middle of the field 50 yards in front of me.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Dove hunting with DJ Farms..... - 08/28/13 12:19 PM

Some fields can get crowded on opening day. However, you have 9,500 acres to choose from so you can always move. I've never had a problem with other hunters and actually wished there were more guys at times. Some of those fields are BIG!

Re: Dove hunting with DJ Farms..... - 08/28/13 01:08 PM

Yes it all depends on what field I've been on the lease since 08 and I have noticed opening weekend is the worst after that u pretty much got the place to ur self especially during the week. The weekends isn't bad once u get past that first couple of days.

Re: Dove hunting with DJ Farms..... - 08/28/13 01:33 PM

O we have been we move threw like ninjas.
But I have for a week now trying to cover every thing
Posted By: Moonie Magnum

Re: Dove hunting with DJ Farms..... - 08/28/13 02:32 PM

I am on the DJ Farms lease too. This will be my second season to be on it. I have the dove, duck, geese, varmint package. I would be down to meet up with some of you this year. I will be out there frequently all season. My experience in that on opening day the field next to the tank in Van Alstyne/Howe is crazy packed, but that is where the best fly way is located. I have only hunted the Leonard areas for dove in the afternoon and it is pretty busy at times, but not like that spot in Van Alstyne.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Dove hunting with DJ Farms..... - 08/28/13 04:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Moonie Magnum
My experience in that on opening day the field next to the tank in Van Alstyne/Howe is crazy packed.

Thanks for the head's up! I'm hunting the opener there for the first time, too. Usually we head out west but we're staying around this year.

Gonna try to find a spot with a few less doves, but enough, away from the zoo. If somebody peppers my son he might shoot back! smile

Re: Dove hunting with DJ Farms..... - 08/28/13 05:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Choctaw
Some fields can get crowded on opening day. However, you have 9,500 acres to choose from so you can always move. I've never had a problem with other hunters and actually wished there were more guys at times. Some of those fields are BIG!
Yes some fields are big. That is why I did not understand this dude setting up right behind me. Then he had to add "this is not my first rodeo". Well it sure seemed to be. Oh well there are jerks out there but most people are good. Some guys up the line were betting on the outcome.

Re: Dove hunting with DJ Farms..... - 08/28/13 05:40 PM

This happened to me last year I was in the field by 3 am by 6 there were two guys trying to set up less than 20 yards away had 1 man shoot over my shoulder. This is why I won't be there opening morning. After opening weeken it nice only saw maybe 30 people all season after that.
Posted By: RyanHampton

Re: Dove hunting with DJ Farms..... - 08/28/13 05:57 PM

I am in the Princeton area, and will be hunting on the dove, duck, varmint package, with my 2 kids (11 and 14). This is our first time with DJ Farms.

Any one wanting to get together . . .message us. Especially for teal, and duck, and goose.

Re: Dove hunting with DJ Farms..... - 08/28/13 06:35 PM

3AM for the DOVE opener?! Damn, that's crazy.

Re: Dove hunting with DJ Farms..... - 08/28/13 06:40 PM

Last year I was duck hunting by myself... was set up by about 5 am and was just messing around on my phone until LST. LST comes and a group of Gadwalls are circling, about to come in and all of the sudden I hear BOOM! A guy and his son had set up, with no decoys, less than 30 yards from me and I guess were planning on pass shooting at ducks coming into my spread. I just never saw them because I was looking down at my phone instead of paying attention.
I really don't mind hunting with guys I don't know, and in fact have enjoyed hunting with most of the people I've met at DJ Farms, but I'm not going to invite you to hunt with me if you pull stupid [censored] like that. I was so pissed that I just picked up my decoys and left.

That was probably the most idiotic thing I've ever seen.

Re: Dove hunting with DJ Farms..... - 08/29/13 03:13 AM

Went back out scouting the Van Alstyne/Howe side this evening but still not seeing many birds. Did run into a couple of others scouting and confirmed my thoughts so far.

Any of y'all gonna be at the BBQ Monday?

Re: Dove hunting with DJ Farms..... - 08/29/13 01:17 PM

I might tend the BBQ, still undecided.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Dove hunting with DJ Farms..... - 08/29/13 02:32 PM

Y'all realize you are scouting for everyone that uses Google!

Re: Dove hunting with DJ Farms..... - 08/29/13 05:19 PM

It's nearly 10k acres of private lease and no one has given specific field locations. I'm not too worried about the google scouting by non members and the guys I've run into have all seen about the same situation.

There are a few hot fields that you better get too early then there are the remaining alternate options. Always gotta have a few back ups

Re: Dove hunting with DJ Farms..... - 08/29/13 09:53 PM

If you see a non member truck all you have to do is Make a phone call and bam there gone. Needs to be a tag hanging for each hunter.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum