Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone ever try this?

Posted By: JakeJJ

Anyone ever try this? - 01/22/13 02:35 AM

Forgive my drawing. I finally graduated to a 1st grade drawing level haha.
I had this idea for my longer walk in hunts.

Paint it on up, and grass it in. Think there would be enough room? I'm pretty lazy and wouldn't like to stand all day. I've never been in a drum so I don't know how big they are.
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: Anyone ever try this? - 01/22/13 02:39 AM

If you could fix a seat on the inside it might work, it's going to be a little tight though. You should ask the deer hunting section, I'd be surprised if some of them didnt sit inside their feeder while waiting on deer to come eat
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: Anyone ever try this? - 01/22/13 02:51 AM

LOL, its amazing how a long walk with a bunch of gear over rough terrain brings out the Engineer mind set of us all.
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: Anyone ever try this? - 01/22/13 03:06 AM

Tried that similar thing but without a barrel, just a Jerry rigged PVC blind, the wheels broke off on my way back so now it just stays hidden in the brush for when I hunt that spot.
Posted By: Youngin'

Re: Anyone ever try this? - 01/22/13 03:22 AM

Well how a big boy are ya? lol
Posted By: Cody Malone

Re: Anyone ever try this? - 01/22/13 03:32 AM

Pretty good idea
Posted By: piratelight

Re: Anyone ever try this? - 01/22/13 04:54 PM

I thought of that last night while rolling the trash can to the curb! It already has wheels.
Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: Anyone ever try this? - 01/22/13 04:58 PM

not much room in a 55 gallon drum
Posted By: viatordp

Re: Anyone ever try this? - 01/22/13 05:31 PM

I think you should try it out and let us know how it goes. lol
Posted By: Chris2713

Re: Anyone ever try this? - 01/22/13 05:34 PM

Now I know if I see someone in our area with a gallon blind its you.
Posted By: Beretta

Re: Anyone ever try this? - 01/22/13 05:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris11b
Now I know if I see someone in our area with a gallon blind its you.

^^^^ LOL yep I'm gonna ask to join him in the barrel

Re: Anyone ever try this? - 01/22/13 06:06 PM

Barrel Boy. haha. I can see it now. "Hey, you wanna sneak up on him and tip it while he's in it.. HELL YEAH!!" haha
Posted By: SR025

Re: Anyone ever try this? - 01/22/13 06:16 PM

Originally Posted By: FallinFeathers
If you could fix a seat on the inside it might work, it's going to be a little tight though. You should ask the deer hunting section, I'd be surprised if some of them didnt sit inside their feeder while waiting on deer to come eat

roflmao
Posted By: Ben Lilly

Re: Anyone ever try this? - 01/22/13 06:17 PM

Is that a gear shift or the handle?

Move the axle up so it can be fixed. You will get the offset when you tilt it back. The biggest problem would be the latch staying shut, when you pull back on the handle it will separate the door from the latch. Try this....I laid down by a pond this morning with a juniper branch laid in top of me, for the dekes run Texas rig up through a piece of radiator hose and throw them over your shoulder. Good luck with your project.
Posted By: Farvafire

Re: Anyone ever try this? - 01/22/13 09:41 PM

How long is your walk. If the trail is suitable, a mountain bike with a single wheel trailer works awesome. I can get a dozen decoys in my trailer, with all my other stuff.
Posted By: Mud Shark

Re: Anyone ever try this? - 01/22/13 09:52 PM

Why don't you just buy a trash can with wheels?

Re: Anyone ever try this? - 01/22/13 09:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Mud Shark

My original thought but my father in law can get me the barrel and wheels for free. We are expecting and I'm trying to scrimp and save every penny I can. Should be easier to save once this season is over haha
Posted By: Borane4

Re: Anyone ever try this? - 01/22/13 11:46 PM

In the off season you can dress a little differently and be a rodeo clown in Mesquite. Bull sprigs, bulls, bull cans, bulls...
whatever it takes! flag

Seriously, Id be afraid some arse-clown would shoot it. Ive never seen a bucket or barrel in the woods that wasnt shot up.
Posted By: lakewaydr50

Re: Anyone ever try this? - 01/23/13 12:05 AM

Originally Posted By: JakeJJ

My original thought but my father in law can get me the barrel and wheels for free. We are expecting and I'm trying to scrimp and save every penny I can. Should be easier to save once this season is over haha
Live that way to, college for two. I've been trying to figure out a way to "walk in" a 14 foot jon boat loaded with my gear. By the time I add my dekes, tote bag, and shotgun it is way to heavy to drag a couple of 100 yards......

Re: Anyone ever try this? - 01/23/13 12:10 AM

Originally Posted By: lakewaydr50
Originally Posted By: JakeJJ

Live that way to, college for two. I've been trying to figure out a way to "walk in" a 14 foot jon boat loaded with my gear. By the time I add my dekes, tote bag, and shotgun it is way to heavy to drag a couple of 100 yards......

I built a bolt on catamaran for my canoe with a wheel drag. Lightweight and stable.
Posted By: mnsherick

Re: Anyone ever try this? - 01/23/13 12:38 AM

Paint it to look like a stack of old tires....I always see about 15 of them while hunting public, the ducks won't know any difference.

On a side note, how the h3ll do all those tires end up in lakes anyways...

-Matt
Posted By: BlackJack1

Re: Anyone ever try this? - 01/23/13 03:37 AM

Sir, please don't get in that drum.

Re: Anyone ever try this? - 01/23/13 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by BlackJack1
Sir, please don't get in that drum.
rofl
no good can come of this
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Anyone ever try this? - 01/23/13 05:00 AM

Originally Posted By: mnsherick

On a side note, how the h3ll do all those tires end up in lakes anyways...

-Matt

I'm thinking fisherman.
Posted By: sgtpatt

Re: Anyone ever try this? - 01/23/13 11:39 AM

If you can get two barrels cut them to make it bigger, and then afix them back together.... If you can get heavy duty wagon wheels, they should stay together...
Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: Anyone ever try this? - 01/23/13 01:19 PM

you all must be some tiny dudes to even consider getting in a barrel
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Anyone ever try this? - 01/23/13 01:25 PM

I doubt my head would fit in a barrel
Posted By: ACov

Re: Anyone ever try this? - 01/23/13 03:54 PM

Originally Posted By: mnsherick
Paint it to look like a stack of old tires....I always see about 15 of them while hunting public, the ducks won't know any difference.

I've noticed the same thing this year; I even sat down in one of them and used it as a blind one day when I was too lazy to carry all my gear out. It was a big tractor tire in the middle of the lake that at one time was probably well underwater and is now just an eyesore on the landscape. Those teal didn't seem to mind until the tire started shooting at them.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Anyone ever try this? - 01/23/13 03:55 PM

you dnt gota neal down in them you just stand in them lol....
Posted By: garrett

Re: Anyone ever try this? - 01/23/13 04:03 PM

wear your camp bikini because your going to look like a girl jumping out of the top of a cake with that thing
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Anyone ever try this? - 01/23/13 04:04 PM

Iv seen alot of people do this in the marsh....better have a good sealed lid too.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum