Texas Hunting Forum

Need Help from the Internet Game Wardens

Posted By: BUhunter903

Need Help from the Internet Game Wardens - 01/03/13 03:20 PM

Situation: There is a lake (more of a large marsh) that when at full level runs along a Farm to Market road for about 300 yards. Currently it is low so at the shortest point the water is probably 30-40 yards from the road. The county this lake is in has a new game warden this year. I asked the previous game warden last year if I could hunt the lake legally and he said "Yes, but you need to be in a boat". I asked the current game warden this year and he said "I think it is owned by Company X". Company X owns a lot of land in and around this lake and they probably do own the land surrounding the lake. I am going to call Company X to ask them about the lake.

Questions:
When there is water that comes this close to a roadway, is there an easement that allows you to legally access the water? (The previous game warden's comments would make me think something similar to this is true since I can hunt in a boat but not on the land)

How much is a trespassing ticket? (This place might be worth it) Just kidding......I don't trespass but I would love to figure out a way to hunt this place.
Posted By: ishootspoonies

Re: Need Help from the Internet Game Wardens - 01/03/13 03:34 PM

Funny question. I was kind of in the same situation. I was under the impression the pond I wanted to hunt was owned by the usfs. But I was told by someone it was private. I went to the county appraisal district with an areal photo of the pond and laid it next to the ownership maps to determine I was correct. I know this didn't answer your question, but there are ways to figure stuff out. Good luck. Listening to what the GW tells you about ownership isn't the best way to get info.
Dig a little deeper.
Posted By: brazosboyt

Re: Need Help from the Internet Game Wardens - 01/03/13 04:14 PM

Goto tpwd website and find the article titled " a river runs through it". The answer is no. An easement would allow u access if the easement owner grants u permission. That then does not give u permission to leave that easement. Here's the kicker. In tx your "projectile" cannot cross the property line or its trespassing. If u shoot a bird on the other side of the pl and u don't have permission to retrieve it you can be cited for waste or trespassing if you go get it.

We hunt quite a few soil lakes with several owners. We got educated on this last yr when a neighbor called for us shooting across the pl. you can beat the rap but u can't beat the ride. And those rides can get expensive. You are on the right track by finding out who owns the land the lake is on. Oh and by the way many gws are clueless to these laws and just because he said u can hunt it don't mean the real landowner can't and won't press charges. I know this first hand. Lawson tx absolutely favor the private landowner.
Posted By: TexasEd

Re: Need Help from the Internet Game Wardens - 01/03/13 04:51 PM

Originally Posted By: brazosboyt
Goto tpwd website and find the article titled " a river runs through it". The answer is no. An easement would allow u access if the easement owner grants u permission. That then does not give u permission to leave that easement. Here's the kicker. In tx your "projectile" cannot cross the property line or its trespassing. If u shoot a bird on the other side of the pl and u don't have permission to retrieve it you can be cited for waste or trespassing if you go get it.

We hunt quite a few soil lakes with several owners. We got educated on this last yr when a neighbor called for us shooting across the pl. you can beat the rap but u can't beat the ride. And those rides can get expensive. You are on the right track by finding out who owns the land the lake is on. Oh and by the way many gws are clueless to these laws and just because he said u can hunt it don't mean the real landowner can't and won't press charges. I know this first hand. Lawson tx absolutely favor the private landowner.

Great advice.
Posted By: Texsun

Re: Need Help from the Internet Game Wardens - 01/03/13 05:47 PM

Aggieduck should be here soon with a full breakdown of all things legal.

rolleyes
Posted By: duckslayer7

Re: Need Help from the Internet Game Wardens - 01/03/13 08:12 PM

Haha where is Aggie he know everything about anything might want to send him a pm I'm pretty sure the 2010 teal champ will be able to answer you lol
Posted By: Water Turkey2

Re: Need Help from the Internet Game Wardens - 01/03/13 08:29 PM

You can access public water from a public ROW, but it doesn't give you the right to park on the ROW. WHo owns the lake? Is it public?

You can't cross private property to get to public water. Ask the guys who try to park on the roadways and walk to hunt the Colorado River down here south of Austin.
Posted By: Deputy T

Re: Need Help from the Internet Game Wardens - 01/03/13 09:27 PM

Yes, definitely found out who the land owner is and get permission. Plus your statement about the ticket is not what you would be receiving. That offense is either 1 of the 2, Criminal Trespass with a deadly weapon (shotgun) Class A Misdemeanor or Hunting without land owners censent also a Class A Misdemeanor.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum