Texas Hunting Forum

Game Winner decoys

Posted By: CFR

Game Winner decoys - 10/22/12 03:51 AM

Does anyone have any experience using the Academy brand decoys, Game Winner? I was considering some because of the great price but they looked kinda cheap. We just got our first Academy here in Tallahassee, FL and I know that they are all over TX so I figured this would be a good place to ask the question! Thanks!
Posted By: FowlDreams

Re: Game Winner decoys - 10/22/12 03:54 AM

they're not great, but you can kill birds over them.
Posted By: Baylor_Bears

Re: Game Winner decoys - 10/22/12 03:56 AM

They arent my favorite at all. Cheaply made, thin, not realistic looking. Im not a fan
Posted By: Aggieduck

Re: Game Winner decoys - 10/22/12 04:50 AM

Get what you pay for
Posted By: Boss Hog

Re: Game Winner decoys - 10/22/12 06:05 AM

I bought about 4 dozen when they were on sale for less than $10/doz. They aren't the best. They are thin. I don't care for the keels...but the ducks haven't seemed to mind. They have held up pretty well for a few seasons.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Game Winner decoys - 10/22/12 06:10 AM

Have killed numerous birds over and in them.
Posted By: emilyee

Re: Game Winner decoys - 10/22/12 07:46 AM

personally i don't like these ones.
Posted By: Team Hillbilly

Re: Game Winner decoys - 10/22/12 10:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Aggieduck
Get what you pay for
that's so true I've got a couple doz of their teal decoys they will work,plan to repaint in a season or two or just replace
Posted By: texasdude28

Re: Game Winner decoys - 10/22/12 11:18 AM

gotta go with the consensus on this one, they are cheap and won't last too long.
Posted By: Trout-killer

Re: Game Winner decoys - 10/22/12 11:38 AM

The better you take care of them the longer the deks will last. Doesn't matter if you pay 1 dollar apiece or 40 apiece. They would be good for building a spread or beefing it up a little.

After all, its more about where you are than what you use.
Posted By: thomas_z71

Re: Game Winner decoys - 10/22/12 11:47 AM

Don't they have a "carvers edge" now? Those seemed to look pretty good in the store. I won't buy them, but I thought they looked okay. If you buy your dekes in the offseason sales, you can get the better dekes for a good deal. For teal though, you can't go wrong with the $10/doz game winners.
Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: Game Winner decoys - 10/22/12 11:55 AM

The new gwt the have this season actually look really good. My buddy had some for teal season. I was surprised, they aren't at all like the others
Posted By: Marcstar

Re: Game Winner decoys - 10/22/12 11:58 AM

Originally Posted By: thomas_z71
Don't they have a "carvers edge" now? Those seemed to look pretty good in the store. I won't buy them, but I thought they looked okay. If you buy your dekes in the offseason sales, you can get the better dekes for a good deal. For teal though, you can't go wrong with the $10/doz game winners.

Yeah those new ones don't look bad at all. I'm pretty set with decoys for a while but yeah those Carvers ones look decent.
Posted By: cryers

Re: Game Winner decoys - 10/22/12 12:48 PM

Although the new ones do look pretty good, they are built with the same quality. They are thin and the keels are terrible. I had a buddy that brought a dozen and a half and I put out 3 doz in half the time he put out his, due to him having to wade through the mud and turn his over becuase he couldn't throw them out and they land upright.
Posted By: DuckedUp

Re: Game Winner decoys - 10/22/12 01:09 PM

Originally Posted By: cryers
Although the new ones do look pretty good, they are built with the same quality. They are thin and the keels are terrible. I had a buddy that brought a dozen and a half and I put out 3 doz in half the time he put out his, due to him having to wade through the mud and turn his over becuase he couldn't throw them out and they land upright.

They wouldn't flip over with the weighted keel?!?!

Re: Game Winner decoys - 10/22/12 01:25 PM

The ones I have seen have been water keel and they will not fill up with water to stand the decoy upright. Also will get blown over in a strong wind

Re: Game Winner decoys - 10/22/12 01:30 PM

The new ones I saw were weighted keel and we're a lot thicker than the other game winners
Posted By: Beretta

Re: Game Winner decoys - 10/22/12 01:33 PM

I have some pintail ones and they were water weighted and would flip over in the wind, so I got some lead and put in the keel, we will see how they work on opening day

Re: Game Winner decoys - 10/22/12 01:37 PM

Putting lead in the keel would deff work. GHG hot buys are $30 doz, never had any but if they are as tough as the standard GHG deff worth the money and look a lot better.

Re: Game Winner decoys - 10/22/12 01:41 PM

Only problem with the hot buys is the paint scratches off super super easy and the hole on the keel you tie onto breaks easy too

Re: Game Winner decoys - 10/22/12 01:43 PM

I bought some storm front decoys the other day at cabelas for 24 bucks, used them every day of teal season snd I'm pretty happy with them. I'm rough with my decoys too
Posted By: stexas7

Re: Game Winner decoys - 10/22/12 01:55 PM

I don't like game winner decoys because they are so small. Its like teal sized everything

Re: Game Winner decoys - 10/22/12 02:01 PM

Buddy I hunt with just bought 2 doz mallards and 1 doz GWT in Storm Fronts and they look really good and are much lighter than my GHG
Posted By: Judd

Re: Game Winner decoys - 10/22/12 02:04 PM

The water keels can be an advantage if you aren't hunting somewhere with a bunch of chop. There are downsides to them though and that is your dog can flip them over on a retrieve and they won't "right" themselves. For the stuff I hunt I would take a water or keel-less decoy and disadvantages ove a keeled decoy. I don't get any movement from keeled decoys.

Having said all of that, the game winners are a decoy that you get what you pay for situation.

Good luck!
Posted By: jast86

Re: Game Winner decoys - 10/22/12 02:38 PM

Save up a few more $$ and buy some better decoy's
Posted By: TX_WATERFOWL

Re: Game Winner decoys - 10/22/12 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: jast86
Save up a few more $$ and buy some better decoy's

Yup
Posted By: E-Tx

Re: Game Winner decoys - 10/22/12 04:30 PM

I've had 3doz teal I got on sale 3-4 yrs ago. Birds don't seem to mind them. They are about paper thin and feel cheap, but other than that, no complaints. With weights wrapped around their necks they are just now starting to lose a little paint.
Posted By: StoegerM3500

Re: Game Winner decoys - 10/22/12 04:35 PM

I got a dozen pintails and half a dozen spoonies to add color and beef up the spread a little bit. The paint is holding up good so far. Carried them in a few times on texas rigs. They are nice and light to. But i would recomend better decoys if you could get them.
Posted By: Toledo

Re: Game Winner decoys - 10/22/12 05:30 PM

If anyone has some of the old game winner mallards I would like to buy them. I am looking for the ones that look exactly like these old flambeus but they dont have the big keel that sticks down on the bottom. They have a wide flat keel that barely sticks down maybe an inch. They havent been made in at least 5-6 years. Or Ill order some new decoys and have them sent to you in exchange.

Re: Game Winner decoys - 10/22/12 06:49 PM

If you aren't looking for only Game Winner, I have a couple dozen of older (around 1998 model) Carry Lites with the wide flat keel you are talking about I would sale. I also have some of those Flambeus too.
Posted By: CFR

Re: Game Winner decoys - 10/27/12 04:01 PM

Thanks to everyone for the responses on here. That's what I love about THF....ask a question and in no time flat you've got a lot of quality answers. Most of your comments kinda confirmed what I thought from looking at them. I think I am gonna just buy some that are a little better designed.
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Game Winner decoys - 10/27/12 04:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Toledo
If anyone has some of the old game winner mallards I would like to buy them. I am looking for the ones that look exactly like these old flambeus but they dont have the big keel that sticks down on the bottom. They have a wide flat keel that barely sticks down maybe an inch. They havent been made in at least 5-6 years. Or Ill order some new decoys and have them sent to you in exchange.

I have probably about 18 of those you're looking for, mostly brand new
Posted By: JoSkeeter

Re: Game Winner decoys - 10/27/12 06:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Toledo

I have some pintails like that.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum