Texas Hunting Forum

Banded bird question

Posted By: furdown

Banded bird question - 09/05/12 05:23 PM

whats so special about bagging one, not being a smartazz, really just curious. I have never duck hunted but am giving it a shot this year to see how I like it and just dont know.
Posted By: NTX_Hunter

Re: Banded bird question - 09/05/12 05:34 PM

you call in the info on the band, and you will get a check for whatever that bird is worth. Some of the rare ones are worth $1000.

I'm lying. They are just rare, that's all. Not worth money.
Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: Banded bird question - 09/05/12 05:41 PM

there are reward bands that are worth money
Posted By: Graham_Woodsman

Re: Banded bird question - 09/05/12 05:43 PM

I don't think they pay you for a band
Posted By: Cody Malone

Re: Banded bird question - 09/05/12 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Hayraker
there are reward bands that are worth money

There are double banded birds out there

band on one leg and a reward band on the other.
Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: Banded bird question - 09/05/12 05:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Graham_Woodsman

OK, don't call in if you get a green one then
Posted By: Rob Robertson

Re: Banded bird question - 09/05/12 06:14 PM

Deer hunters have horns, quail hunters have dogs, African big game hunters have trophy rooms. Duck hunters have bands.

Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Banded bird question - 09/05/12 06:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Graham_Woodsman

FALSE! I've killed two double banded mallards each with $100 reward bands. I've gotten a check each time. Granted they do have an expiration date on the band, so if you kill the bird after that date all you get are two shiny bands and a certificate.
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Banded bird question - 09/05/12 06:31 PM

]
This one got me a check for $100. He flew all the way from Canada to Levelland, TX for me to shoot. Of course it cost more than $100 to have him mounted.
Posted By: furdown

Re: Banded bird question - 09/05/12 09:48 PM

Ok thanks guys, I was just wondering. So what I'm understanding is that you can find out where the bird came from. Kinda cool
Posted By: Trash Fish and Cull Bucks

Re: Banded bird question - 09/05/12 10:29 PM

Bird bands are used for 2 things, migration routes and harvest/survival rates. If you shoot one and call in the info on the band, they will send you a certificate that tells you where and when the bird was banded, as well as it's approximate age. A small percentage of the bands are 'money bands', that have the amount written on the band. These bands are used to correct the non-money band return data (to calculate how many banded birds are killed, but not returned). Money bands range from $25 to $250 for ducks and geese, $100 for doves.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum