Texas Hunting Forum

Duck Hunting Log

Posted By: Guy

Duck Hunting Log - 09/04/12 11:13 PM

I got an excel model I develop with macros, it is a duck hunting log, it is real slick I think. I been using this same model for years now, and every season I jazz it up a little more. I have let a few members use it, but I think it was probably to complicated before, you had to know excel to use it. But I got it now where anyone can use it I think, you just need excel.

It has 2 tabs on it. 1 tab is called “Log”, this is where you input your information. The other tab is call “Season Summary”, it will summarize the data and generate a little chart for you. Below is the chart and my log for last season”

Here is a link to the model. You have to be logged into google.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-_Yxdx4zpkybVZNSzVvOUhGSmc/edit

I think the model is pretty intuitive. I cleared out all my info I just put bogus info in there.

On the summary tab, just go to cell C2 and change the season. There is a sort button you can click on sort by number of ducks shot. In column J right above the “J”, there is a “+”, click on that to open up Youth Season if you need that. On the Log tab, yellow cells are input cells, and red font will drive formulas.

Post up any questions you have.
Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: Duck Hunting Log - 09/04/12 11:18 PM

nice

Re: Duck Hunting Log - 09/05/12 02:04 AM

Here are some things that may not be intuitive:

Column C “Pr”, Pr stands for private, put a 1 if the spot was private or a 1 in column D “Pu” for public, if you care to tract that. This does drive stats on summary tab, that is why font is red. Column E “Spot” just informational as well as column F “Lake Level”, black font, so you can put whatever you want here, as well as “comments field” column AE.
Posted By: TexasEd

Re: Duck Hunting Log - 09/05/12 02:53 AM

Cool. I keep a narrative log with pictures in a word document. I do one for each year.
Posted By: TrackQuack

Re: Duck Hunting Log - 09/05/12 02:57 AM

Nice job, I'm sure plenty of people will use it
Posted By: Cody Malone

Re: Duck Hunting Log - 09/05/12 03:18 AM

Awesome!
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: Duck Hunting Log - 09/05/12 04:37 AM

Nice job Guy. If you don't have Excel program you can download Open Office free and use its SS. cheers

Re: Duck Hunting Log - 09/05/12 01:35 PM

Answering a PM: You must “enable macros” in excel for the macros to run. I have excel 2007, so it may be different if you have a different version, but left corner of excel mouse over Microsoft icon, it says “Office Button”, click on that, then click on “Excel Options”, then click on “Trust Center”, then “Trust Center Settings”, then “Macro Settings”. There are various levels of security options for enabling macros, I just enable them all. There was a period in the 90’s when there was excel viruses going around driven from excel macros, but I have not seen any of those any more since then, and I use excel every day. But if you are worried about it, try some of the other macro enable settings. Some of the setting will give you a pop up "Do you want to enable these macros?" something like that, like I said I do not mess with those settings.

Re: Duck Hunting Log - 09/05/12 01:36 PM

Originally Posted By: jeh7mmmag
Nice job Guy. If you don't have Excel program you can download Open Office free and use its SS. cheers

Thanks James that is a good idea.
Posted By: TX_WATERFOWL

Re: Duck Hunting Log - 09/05/12 01:55 PM

Sunday, December 9, 2012....ha

Re: Duck Hunting Log - 09/05/12 01:58 PM

Originally Posted By: TX_WATERFOWL
Sunday, December 9, 2012....ha

Yeah, I got a bunch of bogos info in there, also shooting over limits lol. I just cleared my info out and randomly entered info.

Here some other info that is not intuitive. You will notice on my log last season I shot 8 different species of ducks and that is all that is shown. But if you look on the log tab, there are 10 different species of ducks. The model will allow you to track 10. But last season I only shot 8. So on the summary tab, I only show 8, I have the last 2 hidden because they were blank last season. When I cleared all my info out and put bogus info in there, I forgot to unhide those 2 extra rows.

To unhide the 2 additional slots for duck species, on row 16 to the left there is a “+”, click on that and it will unhide those rows.

Re: Duck Hunting Log - 09/05/12 02:00 PM

I still like the template a lot. I have never really kept track of the different species. Maybe I will give it a whirl this year.

Re: Duck Hunting Log - 09/05/12 02:04 PM

Not allowing me to edit though.
Posted By: E-Tx

Re: Duck Hunting Log - 09/05/12 04:33 PM

Well I couldn't edit before after adjusting the macro settings. And wouldn't you know it....this morning I open it up and am free to do whatever without any changes. Kind of weird, but it works.

Thanks for letting us use this excellent program.

Re: Duck Hunting Log - 09/05/12 10:41 PM

Originally Posted By: TX_WATERFOWL
Not allowing me to edit though.

Still having problems? There is no reason that you cannot edit it, other than you do not have macros enabled as the other poster mentioned above. Few things here:

1) If you have any questions, please post them here vs sending me a PM. Others can benefit from your questions, and also other members might be able to answer your question as well

2) I had a member PM me that they downloaded w/o having an account with google, so I guess you do not need to be logged in. This was my first time to use google docs

3) A member PMed me the following question: “How can I add another species of duck to where it still carries over the same forumlas and all that?” Answer: The model will allow you to track 10 species of ducks (or goose, or dove for that matter). You make those changes on the log tab. At the top, you will see the duck name. Example, model is save with Wood Duck in cell I9. Change that to what ever you want, and it will carry over to the summary tab. Keep in mind the order is different. The log tab the species of duck will be the order in which you put them, but on the summary tab, it will be in the order in which how many you shot. You must hit the “Sort” button to refresh.
Posted By: GreyDuck

Re: Duck Hunting Log - 09/07/12 12:55 AM

Great way to keep track of your season Guy.

Re: Duck Hunting Log - 10/01/12 01:52 AM

I just up loaded a new model, 9-30-2012. The last model the sort button was not working right. I think I fixed it.

There are 2 buttons now on Summary tab. The “Sort Table” button sorts results by species. “Reset Table” button resets order like what is in the log tab.

Post up if you have any questions. Like last time, I just put bogus data in the model for illustrative purpose. The “log” tab has not changed, so you can just copy paste from old to the new model. Past only yellow fields..

Let me know if you have any questions.
Posted By: Sims Custom Knives

Re: Duck Hunting Log - 10/01/12 02:06 AM

That's pretty slick
Posted By: Sims Custom Knives

Re: Duck Hunting Log - 10/01/12 02:07 AM

You could market it as an app for iphone

Re: Duck Hunting Log - 10/01/12 02:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Sims Custom Knives
You could market it as an app for iphone

They already have apps. I like spreadsheets, that is just me. If you like spreadsheets too you might like this.

Re: Duck Hunting Log - 10/03/12 11:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Guy
I just up loaded a new model, 9-30-2012.

Had a few e-mails requesting access, I forgot to update access to "public share", so anyone should be able to access it now.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Duck Hunting Log - 10/05/12 04:23 AM

I just up loaded a new model, 9-30-2012.

Had a few e-mails requesting access, I forgot to update access to "public share", so anyone should be able to access it now.

I think you are just bumping your own post. There were no PM's was there?

Re: Duck Hunting Log - 10/05/12 12:43 PM

Actually about 15 google system emails requesting access.
Posted By: TxDuck24

Re: Duck Hunting Log - 10/05/12 02:37 PM

Awesome man just Got it and already got me some days on there
Posted By: Gill_97

Re: Duck Hunting Log - 10/05/12 02:51 PM

that's cool. did anyone load this up on a windows phone and try it on there?
Posted By: NM-Aggie

Re: Duck Hunting Log - 10/05/12 03:10 PM

That's pretty good. You should figure out a way to add a column to each part of the season for weather. Cloudy, sunny, rainy, etc. Then you could graph the amount of birds taken in each weather condition. I could see this being an app for an iphone.
Posted By: Cochise

Re: Duck Hunting Log - 10/05/12 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By: NM-Aggie
That's pretty good. You should figure out a way to add a column to each part of the season for weather. Cloudy, sunny, rainy, etc. Then you could graph the amount of birds taken in each weather condition. I could see this being an app for an iphone.

DU has an app that is similar. However it is FAR less detailed.

Guy's log is excellent.
Posted By: Baylor_Bears

Re: Duck Hunting Log - 10/06/12 01:16 AM

Just got it, thats really great Guy. Appreciate it
Posted By: Baylor_Bears

Re: Duck Hunting Log - 10/06/12 01:22 AM

Is there a way I can delete the youth and early teal seasons?

Re: Duck Hunting Log - 10/06/12 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Baylor_Bears

Yeah. On the “Season summary” tab, left click on column “D” (click on the “D”), this highlights the whole column, hold down over to column “I”, this highlights columns “D” thru “I”, then right click for pop-up menu and select “Hide”. Then go over to “Log” tab and clear out any data in Early Teal and Youth section, just highlight yellow fields and hit “delete” on keyboard and it will clear out data. And you can then highlight rows for Early Teal and Youth like you did columns, right click and hide.

You can also use same logic/instructions to hide only Early Teal or Youth.

Re: Duck Hunting Log - 10/06/12 07:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Baylor_Bears

Made some easy buttons. Ok, so this cold weather got me all thinking about ducks so I had to play with my model some more. grin

I loaded a new model, “Hunting Log Model 2012-10-06”. With the following fixes/enhancements:

1) On Log tab, added “Notes” at bottom, provides important notes.

2) Added buttons to Hide/Unhide Early Teal and Youth Season from Season Summary tab. To remove on Log tab, see “Notes” on log tab.

3) I noticed on the log tab when a season is blank with rows in the season, it shows as “skunk” and can mess-up year to date numbers. So I fixed that.

Here is the link to the new model.
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-_Yxdx4zpkybVh5WHZpMFV3R0k

Let me is there are any issues with it.

Re: Duck Hunting Log - 10/07/12 03:30 AM

Here you go, I will bump it again so you don't have to.
Posted By: 1 Year Wonder

Re: Duck Hunting Log - 10/07/12 04:04 PM

Re: Duck Hunting Log - 10/07/12 09:56 PM

That is really good wonder, you come up with that all by yourself? How much time you spend on that? Bet yo momma be proud. loser8

Re: Duck Hunting Log - 10/08/12 03:08 AM

I got an excel model I develop with macros, it is a duck hunting log, it is real slick I think. I been using this same model for years now, and every season I jazz it up a little more. I have let a few members use it, but I think it was probably to complicated before, you had to know excel to use it. But I got it now where anyone can use it I think, you just need excel.

It has 2 tabs on it. 1 tab is called “Log”, this is where you input your information. The other tab is call “Season Summary”, it will summarize the data and generate a little chart for you. Below is the chart and my log for last season”

Here is a link to the model. You have to be logged into google.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-_Yxdx4zpkybVZNSzVvOUhGSmc/edit

I think the model is pretty intuitive. I cleared out all my info I just put bogus info in there.

On the summary tab, just go to cell C2 and change the season. There is a sort button you can click on sort by number of ducks shot. In column J right above the “J”, there is a “+”, click on that to open up Youth Season if you need that. On the Log tab, yellow cells are input cells, and red font will drive formulas.

Post up any questions you have.

What about rounds per hunt or bird, seems like you would want to keep track of that...or not. Easy to keep up with, belt holds 25,how many empty loops at the end of the hunt. Lets you know how many spent hulls to look for at the end of the hunt. Another bump for you.
Posted By: lakesteak123

Re: Duck Hunting Log - 10/08/12 07:56 AM

I just use a little log book/tally book. All of that looks cool but im a pencil and paper kinda guy!
Posted By: 1 Year Wonder

Re: Duck Hunting Log - 10/08/12 12:31 PM

That is really good wonder, you come up with that all by yourself? How much time you spend on that? Bet yo momma be proud. loser8

Nope, I stolt it from TOS.

Gotta give credit where credits due woot
Posted By: Texan1554

Re: Duck Hunting Log - 10/08/12 01:09 PM

Guy appreciate you sharing this.

Have been using something similar for a while but didn't look as good as yours. I've taken yours and built on to it a little.

Added goose species, and another sheet to tally "Other Hunts" including dove, quail, deer, hogs, turkey etc... Also changed the skunk tally to a personal kill sum.

Made some room for weather and wind directions.

Anyway, it's based on your design here so thank you.
Posted By: Rob Robertson

Re: Duck Hunting Log - 10/09/12 12:53 PM

Nothing to add. Just playing with my IPAd.

Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: Duck Hunting Log - 10/09/12 12:58 PM

(humble brag)
Posted By: Dfwguy

Re: Duck Hunting Log - 09/17/13 08:31 PM

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwWVrMJHwEeAZGdDRHlHMXBRNUk/edit?usp=sharing

If you guys want Guy's hunting log, click on the above link. If the 'download' link doesn't work at the top center of the screen, try looking in top left --> File --> 'Download'. That should give you the ability to put on your machine.

Thanks Guy, sweet workbook!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum