Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting Question

Posted By: HOF

Hunting Question - 08/26/12 02:38 AM

What is the legal blood alcohol level for dove hunting and using #8 shot?

Posted By: Trey Kuenslter

Re: Hunting Question - 08/26/12 02:39 AM

i think if your drunk your drunk it dont matter lol

Posted By: Jeff Elder

Re: Hunting Question - 08/26/12 02:40 AM

Im not sure but I wouldnt want to find out the hard way when something goes wrong

Posted By: Trout-killer

Re: Hunting Question - 08/26/12 02:49 AM

It depends on if your drinking beer or whiskey.

Re: Hunting Question - 08/26/12 02:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Jeff Elder
Im not sure but I wouldnt want to find out the hard way when something goes wrong

I think most agree. That is why I am asking the veteran wing shooters. whistle

Posted By: kmon11

Re: Hunting Question - 08/26/12 03:01 AM

Drink after the hunt.

Posted By: BigAL33

Re: Hunting Question - 08/26/12 11:26 AM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Drink after the hunt.

+1

Re: Hunting Question - 08/26/12 02:33 PM

I was having a little fun and trying to engage the late night THF crew with this post. They must have winded me as the stayed away from the post.

First, what does using #8 shot have to do with drinking and hunting? Thought that was funny myself.

And first again, if the guns are out and the adult beverages come out, me and mine politely leave. To each his own, but it is my policy.

Stay safe this hunting season.

Posted By: SG 1

Re: Hunting Question - 08/26/12 02:41 PM

The legal blood alcohol leave for dove hunting is ZERO!!!!! Drinking and hunting don't mix.

Posted By: Hubbs

Re: Hunting Question - 08/26/12 02:50 PM

Drink after the hunt.

+1

And don't show up in the morning still drunk from the night before.

Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Hunting Question - 08/26/12 03:17 PM

Dang y'all are a tuff crowd. I understand not being falling down drunk while hunting, but if I show up to the dove fields without any booze, I'd be asked to leave.

Posted By: Texifornia

Re: Hunting Question - 08/26/12 03:44 PM

I tend to shoot at more dove when Im drunk so I shotgun a few then go hunting.

Posted By: nak

Re: Hunting Question - 08/26/12 04:25 PM

Originally Posted By: BigAL33
Drink after the hunt.

+1

+1

...and I surely don't need a beer while sitting out in the hot TX sun. Lots of water for the hunt and lots of beer waiting in the truck. (Yet another reason to take the teenagers, they can drive home.)

Posted By: burgerboy68

Re: Hunting Question - 08/26/12 11:11 PM

Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop
Dang y'all are a tuff crowd. I understand not being falling down drunk while hunting, but if I show up to the dove fields without any booze, I'd be asked to leave.

x2

There is nothing better than a cold beer while sitting in the hot Texas sun!

I'm not sure I've ever dove hunted without adult beverges. Not that we get stupid drunk or anything even close... It's about having a good hunt with good friends.
Posted By: dawaba

Re: Hunting Question - 08/26/12 11:43 PM

Originally Posted By: burgerboy68
Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop

x2

There is nothing better than a cold beer while sitting in the hot Texas sun!

I'm not sure I've ever dove hunted without adult beverges. Not that we get stupid drunk or anything even close... It's about having a good hunt with good friends.

Just be sure you don't shoot one of your good friends. Why is drinking and driving illegal but drinking and shooting is not?

Sadly, beer abd dove huntng have become an entrenched Texas tradition. It's hard to find a good dove hunt anymore that doesn't find the field surrounded by beer coolers. I just try to find a spot well away from the drinkers.

That said, at night around the fire, I'm apt to be enjoying a cold one too.
Posted By: GoldLS1

Re: Hunting Question - 08/26/12 11:49 PM

Drink until the dragon flys stop looking like dove... that's when you've had too much!! Don't forget to buy cans, if the birds aren't flying they make good targets when empty.
Posted By: Widow's Son

Re: Hunting Question - 08/27/12 12:58 AM

Intoxication is relevant. Catch a public intoxication charge and you may be arrested fined up to $500 plus court costs. Kill another hunter because you were tanked and not thinking straight, penalty is at LEAST a manslaughter charge and face up to 20 years in prison as well as civil liabilities. Happens every year. Save the brew for later.

Re: Hunting Question - 08/27/12 01:05 AM

The answer to the initial question is that it depends. There is no 'legal' BAC for anything other motor vehicles, boats, and airplanes. If a hunter was intoxicated to the degree a peace officer could articulate that he was a danger to himself or others, he could be arrested and charged with Public Intoxication, which does not require any certain level of BAC. Additionally, other charges are usually associated with intoxicated hunters such as Deadly Conduct (shooting in an unsafe manner), or Disorderly Conduct (shooting across a public roadway), which carry a stiffer penalty if convicted.
Posted By: SweetTea

Re: Hunting Question - 08/27/12 01:55 AM

Seen first hand one time as the game warden popped out of nowhere and breathalyzed some guys. They weren't acting odd but the warden got them for public intoxication, reckless discharge of a weapon, and then littering because they left some cans on the ground. Gatorade will suit me fine boys.
Posted By: ScooterG

Re: Hunting Question - 08/27/12 03:05 AM

I had no idea you could be arrested for public intoxication on private property. So, I can get arrested in my back yard if a peace officer doesn't like how I'm cutting the grass just because I have beer breath? If so, then I need to reconsider my citizenship!
Posted By: Aggieduck

Re: Hunting Question - 08/27/12 03:58 AM

What if you are hunting private property?
Posted By: Hubbs

Re: Hunting Question - 08/27/12 04:56 AM

GWs have jurisdiction anywhere where the act of taking game is being conducted. Private or public property. If you're consuming alcoholic beverages or have been and the GW feels that you're an impaired hunter then your day is ruined.
Posted By: dawaba

Re: Hunting Question - 08/27/12 10:27 AM

The no-brainer solution is to stick to water, sodas, Gatorade, etc while actually shooting. Then after the guns have been put away, you can switch to whatever beverage you prefer.

This is also better for you physiologically because alcohol is a diuretic and will dehydrate you faster that you can drink it, and as such is not a good idea at 100 degrees F.

Re: Hunting Question - 08/27/12 03:10 PM

We were hunting public but all the other charges apply regardless of where you are
Posted By: Bill Waldschmidt

Re: Hunting Question - 08/27/12 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: SweetTea
We were hunting public but all the other charges apply regardless of where you are

Is alcohol even allowed on the APH lands?
Posted By: Gill_97

Re: Hunting Question - 08/27/12 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: ScooterG
I had no idea you could be arrested for public intoxication on private property. So, I can get arrested in my back yard if a peace officer doesn't like how I'm cutting the grass just because I have beer breath? If so, then I need to reconsider my citizenship!

you can't get arrested for PI on private property. Dove hunting and cold beer is a Texas Tradition that I follow.

Re: Hunting Question - 08/28/12 02:10 AM

Originally Posted By: dawaba
The no-brainer solution is to stick to water, sodas, Gatorade, etc while actually shooting. Then after the guns have been put away, you can switch to whatever beverage you prefer.

This is also better for you physiologically because alcohol is a diuretic and will dehydrate you faster that you can drink it, and as such is not a good idea at 100 degrees F.

Thanks for the heads up.. up.. I'll start hydrating a few days in advance just to make sure I can completely enjoy my opening weekend!!!
Posted By: bwk1975

Re: Hunting Question - 08/28/12 02:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Hubbs
GWs have jurisdiction anywhere where the act of taking game is being conducted. Private or public property. If you're consuming alcoholic beverages or have been and the GW feels that you're an impaired hunter then your day is ruined.

Where are you getting your information on this?

Re: Hunting Question - 08/28/12 02:49 AM

Give the warden a call if you feel froggy

Re: Hunting Question - 08/28/12 03:04 AM

Which one you think i should call, you think maybe the one i had lunch with yesterday?
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: Hunting Question - 08/28/12 03:35 AM

Game wardens have checked my license when I was hunting on private land.

Re: Hunting Question - 08/28/12 03:37 AM

Ya if he can't help you I'm sure my wife's cousin would be glad to. He's a captain. You're crazy if you think a warden wont do a "compliance check " on you just because you're on private land.

Re: Hunting Question - 08/28/12 11:00 AM

See now your putting words in my mouth! I just asked a simple question, where is he getting his info from. I'll add to his statement, game wardens have jurisdiction anywhere the act of taking game is being conducted, and anywhere game can travel or be! I've seen em hand out a lot of bwi's and arrest pepople for drugs on a lake around here. I have never had an issue on any private property having a drink while hunting!
Posted By: ScooterG

Re: Hunting Question - 08/28/12 12:26 PM

And you won't. Yes GW's can make sure that you are not breaking the law on any Texas land. Only exclusion might be an Indian reservation. But they can not arrest you for public intoxication on private property! I spoke with my cousin last night, whose a district attorney, and he says no way. It's not smart to piss the gw off for any reason but you will not go to jail because of a silver can next to your stool.
I think the doves will be flying so good that I'll be spilling more beer than drinking!

Re: Hunting Question - 08/28/12 12:45 PM

Originally Posted By: ScooterG

Yes, you can be arrested for public intoxication on private property (i.e. front yard, in a bar, at a stadium) however to commit an offense under state law, you must present some kind of threat to yourself or others due to your level of intoxication.
Posted By: Jasb

Re: Hunting Question - 08/28/12 12:55 PM

PI while dove hunting? Man you'd have to be trashed and acting a fool! I'll be sitting on a cooler full of beer and one in the coozie next to me all season long shooting birds. At no time will I be PI, that and I dont hunt public so there goes that charge! If your PI while hunting your a DA anyway.

As an edit I was reading all this bs and laughing and a Judge asked what I was laughing about and I told him PI on your ranch dove hunting, he said "I dont see it".
Posted By: Jasb

Re: Hunting Question - 08/28/12 12:56 PM

Or just lock the gate and hunt in the back, all the GWs I know hate to walk.
Posted By: Red D

Re: Hunting Question - 08/28/12 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By: HOF

WOW!

It is not a matter of alcohol level and #8 shot.
It is a matter of Posessing a Loaded Firearm while Under Influence of alcohlo.
Sounds pretty much illegal.

Though on the other side, if you have deep pockets and team of a extremely good lawyers on retainer, you might be ok.
Posted By: Aggieduck

Re: Hunting Question - 08/28/12 02:45 PM

Y'all can't be for real?

Re: Hunting Question - 08/28/12 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Aggieduck
Y'all can't be for real?
whistle grin
Posted By: Red D

Re: Hunting Question - 08/28/12 03:19 PM

he is just yanking Ur chain. But it is entertaining anyway popcorn

Re: Hunting Question - 08/28/12 11:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Red D

WOW!

Though on the other side, if you have deep pockets and team of a extremely good lawyers on retainer, you might be ok.

Would it sway your opinion if it were #9 shot in 1 oz dove loads? If you stayed 40 yards apart the worst that could probably happen is someone might have an eye put out...and then it would be their fault because they weren't wearing eye protection. whistle

Re: Hunting Question - 08/29/12 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Red D

WOW!

Would it sway your opinion if it were #9 shot in 1 oz dove loads? If you stayed 40 yards apart the worst that could probably happen is someone might have an eye put out...and then it would be their fault because they weren't wearing eye protection. whistle

roflmao roflmao roflmao
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum