Texas Hunting Forum

How to hide in dirt/mud flats?

Posted By: GoldLS1

How to hide in dirt/mud flats? - 08/12/12 11:38 PM

Did some scouting this weekend and found a few teal. The problem is it's very bare flat ground 40-60 yards from the waters edge to the grassy/brushy edge. Any advice on what would be the best way to hide in that situation?

Btw rain would be real nice or an airboat... I walked a LONG way in stinky muddy muck with mud and water in my flats boots!! Oh found a mess of local geese too... Id guess around 200-300 in scattered about in groups of 20 or 30.

Posted By: David Maas

Re: How to hide in dirt/mud flats? - 08/13/12 12:08 AM

Mudded layout and dead timber

Posted By: Astater

Re: How to hide in dirt/mud flats? - 08/13/12 12:11 AM

I had the same problem last year. Covered myself with mud and as much vegetation as I could find.

If you have enough teal, shoot straight at LST and you won't have to worry about being hidden.

Posted By: ACov

Re: How to hide in dirt/mud flats? - 08/13/12 02:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Astater
I had the same problem last year. Covered myself with mud and as much vegetation as I could find.

If you have enough teal, shoot straight at LST and you won't have to worry about being hidden.

X2 They will drop right in on you at LST even if you're standing in the middle of the decoys. Happened to me more than once last year. Teal are good fun at first light.

Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: How to hide in dirt/mud flats? - 08/13/12 02:12 AM

buy a couple square bales and spread the hay out all around your layout blind

Posted By: Guy

Re: How to hide in dirt/mud flats? - 08/13/12 02:15 AM

Layout blind...

Re: How to hide in dirt/mud flats? - 08/13/12 01:13 PM

Hummm didn't want to spend that much for 2 layout blinds (I need 2 - one for me and one for my dad).

Any other cheaper options?

Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: How to hide in dirt/mud flats? - 08/13/12 01:15 PM

Build your own, with hay etc....

Posted By: Rob Robertson

Re: How to hide in dirt/mud flats? - 08/13/12 01:26 PM

Just cut two to four Willow tops. Stick them out where you want to hunt the week before. The birds get use to them and then on the opener they wont know your in there ready to kill.

Posted By: NTXDuckHunts

Re: How to hide in dirt/mud flats? - 08/13/12 01:35 PM

Get two of those cheep (20.00) lounge chairs..The dollar store had them..The ones that have the pvc webbing..You can lay on one with the legs open if there is weed cover with the legs folded if you need to lay low..If the mud is calf deep etc make 2x4 skids so they do not sink in too far..Also the legs will fall when you move so drill holes to line up metal tabs to lock them open. Everyone laughs at them till you disappear and kill ducks and you are very comfortable and dry..

Re: How to hide in dirt/mud flats? - 08/13/12 02:06 PM

Originally Posted By: GoldLS1
Hummm didn't want to spend that much for 2 layout blinds (I need 2 - one for me and one for my dad).

Just lay on the ground, head on blind bag, maybe pull some weeds over your feet. Done that many of times..

Posted By: Marcstar

Re: How to hide in dirt/mud flats? - 08/13/12 02:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Guy
Originally Posted By: GoldLS1

Just lay on the ground, head on blind bag, maybe pull some weeds over your feet. Done that many of times..

That's what I was going to say. Hell often do that over using my layout anyway. Layouts are nice but overrated...you can conceal just as good without one by using a some dirty camo netting or burlap and just brush it in when you get there.

Posted By: Astater

Re: How to hide in dirt/mud flats? - 08/13/12 03:19 PM

Yup...When I'm hunting layout type spots, I've usually scouted and know the birds are there. Like I said, shoot straight and you won't need anything at all...

Posted By: Aggieduck

Re: How to hide in dirt/mud flats? - 08/13/12 04:07 PM

Sew up a painted burlap sack like a sleeping bag mud it up find some drift and veg and your good to go oh yeah don't ever forget the face mask

Posted By: Aggiedukmaster

Re: How to hide in dirt/mud flats? - 08/13/12 04:11 PM

Burlap Works Best!! And it is reasonably priced, or just go to some landscape company and sometimes they have extra that they will just give it to you!! They use it to cover the root balls of trees that they are going to plant. May have to mist it w/ some brown paint to cut down on the shine!! Also, take a tarp to lay on or the fold out lounge chair works good too!!!

Good Luck w/ the early teal...I have seen a few flocks heading south while out sandbass fishing this last week!!!

Come on Sept. 15th!!!!!

Posted By: SweetTea

Re: How to hide in dirt/mud flats? - 08/13/12 04:15 PM

keep you a little hand towel and a ziploc for your shells. i promise you that mud will get everywhere.

Posted By: TX_WATERFOWL

Re: How to hide in dirt/mud flats? - 08/13/12 04:17 PM

X2 on burlap.

Posted By: Ramball36

Re: How to hide in dirt/mud flats? - 08/13/12 04:38 PM

For the teal you can sit on a blue tarp indian style in a tee shirt and still smoke em

Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: How to hide in dirt/mud flats? - 08/13/12 04:40 PM

watch the movie predator

Posted By: Aggieduck

Re: How to hide in dirt/mud flats? - 08/13/12 04:58 PM

Teal early light and 4 birds you can just sit on the bank or waters edge

Re: How to hide in dirt/mud flats? - 08/13/12 06:47 PM

I thought about the burlap, but wasn't sure that would work well enough. I know for 4 teal I can bust them early, but my old man is slow on the draw. Plus without rain I'll be doin the same during duck/goose season.

Thanks for the ideas... Knew you guys would have the answer!!

Posted By: Cappy_TX

Re: How to hide in dirt/mud flats? - 08/13/12 10:07 PM

Been tempted a few times but never could talk myself into actually buying one ...

Posted By: SweetTea

Re: How to hide in dirt/mud flats? - 08/14/12 12:07 AM

Now that is extravagant cappy

Re: How to hide in dirt/mud flats? - 08/14/12 12:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Marcstar
Layouts are nice but overrated...you can conceal just as good without one by using a some dirty camo netting or burlap and just brush it in when you get there.

I don't think they are over rated. They are what they are. I use one only as last resort. I would much rather sit on a chair/stool in cover. But if there is little or no cover, layout blind is best. And easyier to pack in and setup vs neting, and shoot from, and much more comfortable than laying on the ground. I want to get one of these, I don't care for the cover, just the back-rest is what I want...

http://www.cabelas.com/field-laydown-blinds-edge-expedite-gear-layout-blind-1.shtml

Posted By: Spacemonkey

Re: How to hide in dirt/mud flats? - 08/14/12 12:39 AM

i went to joanns fabric or one of those fabric shops (cant remember off the top of my head) last year and bought 8 ft of brown burlap. It was dirt cheap in comparison to a layout blind. I took one of the foam camp sleeping mats like you get at walmart, academy or army navy and layed it on the ground to insulate me from the cold ground (and to keep my dry) I hunted the mud flats where there was absolutely no vegetation whatsoever. I wore a cammo mask and just draped the burlap over my legs and body and rested my head on a backpack. As the season went on the burlap got dirty and blended that much better.

It worked great for me. Plus it only weighs maybe a pound at max. Im not into carrying all the heavy junk. Light and fast for me. Got my limit plenty of times on teal and big ducks this way. I just worked my jerk cord from underneath the burlap.

Posted By: TrackQuack

Re: How to hide in dirt/mud flats? - 08/14/12 12:43 AM

I agree with guy, layouts are layouts, to me they are more comfortable, durable, and practical than rigging up a lawn chair and some burlap. I like being able to call and work a jerk string with no movement that a duck could see. You can find some great deals on here or clist. I also have a momarsh and marsh rat layout boats that allow you to be in inches to 20ft of water with a low profile.

Re: How to hide in dirt/mud flats? - 08/14/12 01:06 AM

I want to get one of these, I don't care for the cover, just the back-rest is what I want...

http://www.cabelas.com/field-laydown-blinds-edge-expedite-gear-layout-blind-1.shtml

Try this then:

MoMarsh Lounger

We have 8 of the gear downs, other than having to replace the straps and buckles, they have been problem free. 5 of them are Mossy Oak Shadow Grass and are at least 5 yrs old, possibly 6 yrs. I bought 3 more this yr from Mack's when they were 1/2 off, I think $50 each. I used Avery's grass and it last about 2-3 seasons before we have to re-tie it.

Posted By: RC270

Re: How to hide in dirt/mud flats? - 08/14/12 01:13 AM

We use layouts, no cover on them, fresh mud from the waters edge. Works like a charm.

Re: How to hide in dirt/mud flats? - 08/14/12 01:19 AM

Originally Posted By: David Maas

I want to get one of these, I don't care for the cover, just the back-rest is what I want...

Try this then:

MoMarsh Lounger

We have 8 of the gear downs, other than having to replace the straps and buckles, they have been problem free. 5 of them are Mossy Oak Shadow Grass and are at least 5 yrs old, possibly 6 yrs. I bought 3 more this yr from Mack's when they were 1/2 off, I think $50 each. I used Avery's grass and it last about 2-3 seasons before we have to re-tie it.

I like that better, only 6.5lbs. up

Re: How to hide in dirt/mud flats? - 08/14/12 01:26 AM

And 1/2 price of the Gear Down

Posted By: NTXDuckHunts

Re: How to hide in dirt/mud flats? - 08/14/12 01:42 AM

I agree with using a layout easy and your hidden but I hate them and NOBODY I took out wanted to ever lay in one again..That being said, he said he couldn’t spend the cabbage for two of them so he has to think outside the box..Back in the day..The 80’s I don’t think they had layouts and we used lawn chairs very well..

Posted By: woodiesmacker

Re: How to hide in dirt/mud flats? - 08/14/12 02:05 AM

You can find layout blinds for real cheap. But an even cheaper option would be laying against a lay down or some cut branches, they're teal you don't needa get too serious for them

Posted By: Dave Speer

Re: How to hide in dirt/mud flats? - 08/14/12 01:53 PM

I have one of those expedites and love it, Guy, but when I finally bought it I did because I couldn't find the $20 lounge chairs anywhere... wrong season. It would take a bit of work to paint on that silver shiny metal and paint the straps but those things are super light.

I left the blanket on mine and grassed it up, John sewed extra blanket on his.

Posted By: _Scooter_

Re: How to hide in dirt/mud flats? - 08/14/12 08:17 PM

The Primos HardCore blind is what I used and never had issues. They go for $40 on ebay and youo brush 'em in.

Posted By: ACov

Re: How to hide in dirt/mud flats? - 08/14/12 09:06 PM

Two words: camo snuggie.

Posted By: Spacemonkey

Re: How to hide in dirt/mud flats? - 08/14/12 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by ACov

[Linked Image]

haha, thats awesome. gotta get me one of those..LOL

Reminded me of this video about the snuggie

Posted By: Kentucky Native

Re: How to hide in dirt/mud flats? - 08/14/12 11:11 PM

Originally Posted By: ACov

That's funny.

Posted By: Littledog

Re: How to hide in dirt/mud flats? - 08/14/12 11:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Cappy_TX
Been tempted a few times but never could talk myself into actually buying one ...

or a combination layout / cow :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BbGLWdyxCo

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum