Texas Hunting Forum

Chiggers infestation this year

Posted By: beaversnipe

Chiggers infestation this year - 06/16/12 03:12 PM

Bets advice, load up on 2 things

High concentration of deed for your skin and

Lots of cans of permethrin insect reppelant for clothing.

The last one works very well for cloting and i usually spray on my shoes or boots, since thats how chiggers climb on you if you dont sit on gras. Chiggers are extremely bad this year due to rain and high grass.

If you get bitten use vick vapo rub, and apply liquid bandade in it before going to bed.
I dont mind a half dozen of bites or so, but my buddy has over 200....
He is in pain...

Posted By: Quack Whacker

Re: Chiggers infestation this year - 06/16/12 09:42 PM

He could try taking a bath with a little bleach in it.

Posted By: Ryan81

Re: Chiggers infestation this year - 06/17/12 12:15 AM

I was out shooting and fishing a few weeks ago wearing shorts and low cut shoes without socks. They tore my ankles up.

Posted By: passthru

Re: Chiggers infestation this year - 06/17/12 12:23 AM

I always carry a sulfur sock to the field this time of year. Pat down the ankles and lower legs as well as around the waste. Not quite as toxic as deet and permethrin.

Re: Chiggers infestation this year - 06/17/12 03:12 AM

I read that chiggers are so small they crawl through clothing fibers including socks. I need to pack my deed tomorrow, im out fishing for crappie in the mornin

Posted By: STXHO

Re: Chiggers infestation this year - 06/17/12 04:44 PM

It never fails that I get them every year no matter how hard I try to avoid and repel them. They are one of the things that I wonder about why God put them on this earth.

Posted By: deckhand

Re: Chiggers infestation this year - 06/17/12 05:52 PM

For overall protection take a sulfur pill before the outing. I also have used a flea/tick collar on each leg outside the pants for weekend trips.

Posted By: Yegua Duck

Re: Chiggers infestation this year - 06/18/12 02:20 PM

I always spray my boots with WD 40. Keeps the Chiggers and Fire Ants off me. If i get them, I paint a little fingernail polish on the bite. I use clear fingernail polish! Get my wife to buy some every spring. Nothing gets you ribbed more by fishing buddies then neon green fingernail polish on you legs. Had teenage duaghters at home at that time.lol

Posted By: NTXDuckHunts

Re: Chiggers infestation this year - 06/18/12 02:34 PM

If you get them..Fill the tub and take a bleach bath with ½ cup of bleach. It kills them on contact..My guess most everyone on here needs a bath anyway

Posted By: Farvafire

Re: Chiggers infestation this year - 06/18/12 05:39 PM

When on active duty and doing some time in the field we would get into the ocean or in the brachish water and that would help a ton. Best stuff ever was the military issue bug repellant, one application would last days in the field, however it's a known carconogen.

Originally Posted By: NTXDuckHunts
If you get them..Fill the tub and take a bleach bath with ½ cup of bleach. It kills them on contact..My guess most everyone on here needs a bath anyway

Posted By: Gacman

Re: Chiggers infestation this year - 06/18/12 06:00 PM

Chiggers don'w bite me. I bite them. They ask why God put me on this earth.

I keep telling em, it was for the BBQ!

Posted By: swtpike95

Re: Chiggers infestation this year - 06/18/12 06:01 PM

I have a bad case currently. I usually use OFF Deep Woods with deet. It usually does the trick. I was in a hurry to start clearing brush and forgot my pre work routine. Leason learned, I will make sure I remember next time.

Re: Chiggers infestation this year - 06/18/12 06:06 PM

Chiggers make a good snack in the afternoon.

...man i need to get back to work.

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Chiggers infestation this year - 06/18/12 06:07 PM

Permethrin....one application will last on your clothes for 2-3 washings.

Some clothing mfg such as Columbia have socks, shirts, underwear, and pants with it already in them

Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Chiggers infestation this year - 06/18/12 06:31 PM

I was told they are NO longer called chiggers, they are now refered to as Insect Americans. Carry On grin

Posted By: jaymz

Re: Chiggers infestation this year - 06/18/12 06:46 PM

Originally Posted By: westtexaswatkins
I was told they are NO longer called chiggers, they are now refered to as Insect Americans. Carry On grin

sig worthy.

Posted By: TooLow

Re: Chiggers infestation this year - 06/18/12 06:47 PM

I have had them already twice this year and sure I'll get them again this coming weekend at the ranch.

Posted By: jaymz

Re: Chiggers infestation this year - 06/18/12 06:50 PM

also remember chiggers don't actually crawl into your skin, they are little baby mites that feed on your skin leaving an enzyme. They then fall off to become nymphs and carry on as normal. You start itching long after they are gone. Chigger spit is what causes the itch.

Posted By: SweetTea

Re: Chiggers infestation this year - 06/19/12 04:05 AM

chigger spit? i dunno if i should feel excited or violated!

Posted By: Dove Blasters

100% way not to feel the chigger bites - 06/19/12 12:14 PM

If you happen to forget your repellant, when you get back in your truck take your ordinary hand sanitizer and rub it in like lotion. The alcohol will kill every one of the little suckers before they have time to really do some damage.

This WORKS! My buddy used "Off" before we got in to our hog blind and I completely forgot. When I got in the truck I used the hand sanitizer. He did not. The next day he was COVERED in chigger bites!

Posted By: reeltexan

Re: 100% way not to feel the chigger bites - 06/20/12 02:06 AM

Deet, Permethrin, sulfur and the bleach bath have always worked. A few years ago I found that Listerine (once you are bitten) causes the itch to stop and aides healing. Couple swabs with the old amber tongue twister and problem solved!

Posted By: Dave Speer

Re: 100% way not to feel the chigger bites - 06/20/12 02:21 AM

I got a case of the chiggers a month ago. I just itched on them for 2 weeks or so and it sucked as usual. Several years ago I tried covering them in nail polish but since that didn't work, at all, I haven't really tried any other post-bite remedies.

Posted By: garrett

Re: 100% way not to feel the chigger bites - 06/20/12 12:26 PM

Don't walk in tall grass Dave

Posted By: aeb

Re: 100% way not to feel the chigger bites - 06/20/12 12:37 PM

Sulfer powder

Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: 100% way not to feel the chigger bites - 06/20/12 12:51 PM

I just soak myself in OFF back woods and it seems to keep me pretty clear of them... but dont get cheap and only spray around your ankles, when you are in tall grass they will jump on you from anywhere.

Posted By: GriffGruff78

Re: Chiggers infestation this year - 06/20/12 06:27 PM

Originally Posted By: jaymz
also remember chiggers don't actually crawl into your skin, they are little baby mites that feed on your skin leaving an enzyme. They then fall off to become nymphs and carry on as normal. You start itching long after they are gone. Chigger spit is what causes the itch.

Correct. By the time you start to itch the chiggers are long gone. Their saliva is an enzyme that dissolves your skin and subdermal tissue into a soup that they drink. The process puts a lot of histamine into the surrounding tissue and you get terrible itching. Scratching makes it worse. Just FYI, the wound profile that the chigger leaves is referred to as a "stylosome".

Calamine lotion gives me some relief and I usually knock myself out with benadryl if I'm covered in bites.

I grew up treating chigger bites with nail polish, but since I learned that there aren't any chiggers in those litte holes I stopped. I've since come to the personal conclusion that the nail polish doesn't really reduce symptoms or duration, but it does seem to keep me from scratching a bit and, therefore, I'm less likely to wind up with little scars.

http://www.medicinenet.com/chiggers_bites/article.htm

Posted By: Shane O mac

Re: Chiggers infestation this year - 06/20/12 06:59 PM

Is there a time of year that you are more likely to get into chiggers in Texas?

Re: Chiggers infestation this year - 06/20/12 10:50 PM

Right now!

Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Chiggers infestation this year - 06/20/12 11:10 PM

especially when it gets on the skin
Originally Posted By: passthru
I always carry a sulfur sock to the field this time of year. Pat down the ankles and lower legs as well as around the waste. Not quite as toxic as deet and permethrin.

Posted By: bigbuck1

Re: Chiggers infestation this year - 06/20/12 11:20 PM

I used to bird hunt with an older man that told me he always went home and showered with Dog flea & tick sampoo. I have been using it ever since. I have not had a chigger in years. Just saying.

Re: Chiggers infestation this year - 06/20/12 11:47 PM

I hate them chiggers

Posted By: AmaTX1911

Re: 100% way not to feel the chigger bites - 06/21/12 03:55 AM

We will be loading up on deet for sure

Re: 100% way not to feel the chigger bites - 06/21/12 03:56 AM

Still have scars on my ankle from a few years ago

Re: 100% way not to feel the chigger bites - 06/21/12 04:01 AM

that deet is amazing. rumor is itll give you skin cancer or at least thats what everybody would say as we gladly sprayed ourselves down with it. mosquitos in alaska could carry you off if they wanted. deet was the ONLY product to keep them away. gotta be 100% though.... as joe dirt would say
"none of that p@ssy skoal S#$%."

Re: 100% way not to feel the chigger bites - 06/21/12 06:39 PM

Silver powder really works that well ?
I figure the smell would not be fun

Posted By: kmon11

Re: 100% way not to feel the chigger bites - 06/21/12 06:52 PM

Treat your cloths and boots with the phermone spray. Never got a chigger or tick bite when using that stuff.

Re: 100% way not to feel the chigger bites - 06/21/12 08:38 PM

I used to canoe and camp on the noatak river in the gates of artic park northern alaska for 15 days. The place was thik with mosquitoes and they were very hungry. The local alaskan guides swore all by one combination. 100% deet mixed with nivea cream. It stays on your skin much longer and save money by diluting it.

Re: 100% way not to feel the chigger bites - 06/21/12 08:42 PM

man I'm going out to my lease tomorrow and you guys have got me all wound up.

I'll apply Miller Lite liberally and let the chips fall where they may.

Re: 100% way not to feel the chigger bites - 06/21/12 09:36 PM

Make sure you dont fall prior to the chips

All my chips are on the chiggers

Re: 100% way not to feel the chigger bites - 06/21/12 09:39 PM

try to come back with all your bones going in a straight line!

Posted By: Bluesea112

Re: Chiggers infestation this year - 06/23/12 02:26 AM

I always dab a sulfur sock around my waste, ankles, sleeves, and collar, and I have never gotten a chigger bite.
You can buy a 50 lbs bag of dusting sulfur at most country feed stores for around $20. Home Depot sells small bags of low quality dusting sulfur in the garden section, but the stuff Home Depot sells has a high percentage of bentonite in it.

Posted By: Johnny Lobos

Re: Chiggers infestation this year - 06/23/12 02:32 AM

" This idea that chiggers burrow into people's skin may be the most common misperception about them."

This is very true and let me tell you how to fix the problem and neutralize the bite. I can't tell you how many times on missions I've bathed in my own piss to neutralize bug bites, man-o-war,stinging nettle, and jelly fish stings. Bottom line...carry some ammonia.

Use an insect repellent and when you actually discover the bite put some straight ammonia on a cotton ball or something and hold it on the bite.

"Is there a time of year that you are more likely to get into chiggers in Texas?"

Hell, we didn't have a winter last year...12 months

Posted By: 410FastWing

Re: 100% way not to feel the chigger bites - 06/23/12 10:26 AM

Hysterical!

Re: 100% way not to feel the chigger bites - 06/25/12 04:14 AM

My bones are good but the poisonous viper insect Americans got a hold of me. Off is as good as on when it comes to them. New Skin for cuts keeps the itching down. I got to go to cabelas and get some sulfer powder or something cause we are going back Friday. Maybe I should try applying more Miller lite?

We had about 20 coots on the lake this last weekend but no babies. Those stupid birds probably eat their own young.

Re: 100% way not to feel the chigger bites - 06/25/12 12:09 PM

Now thats funny

Re: 100% way not to feel the chigger bites - 06/25/12 04:44 PM

Originally Posted By: gacman
Maybe I should try applying more Miller lite?

Sure, but try a real beer. Miller Lite, Bud Light do not count. Coors is ok because it's actually a beer instead of a desert. And of course there are much better choices.

Just say no to all Miller and Budweiser products (Bud Lime is an exception if the temperature is over 90)

Posted By: Navasot

Re: 100% way not to feel the chigger bites - 06/25/12 04:54 PM

scratch until the wound is open the spray bleach on them

Re: 100% way not to feel the chigger bites - 06/25/12 05:37 PM

Man some of these have turned a dark red color with a yellow center. Y'all want to see pics?

Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: 100% way not to feel the chigger bites - 06/25/12 05:38 PM

you should burn them with a lit cigarette

Re: 100% way not to feel the chigger bites - 06/25/12 05:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
scratch until the wound is open the spray bleach on them

Originally Posted By: Hayraker
you should burn them with a lit cigarette

Man y'all are harsh. I'm not doing either of those. But I'll show you some pics so you'll see what I'm talking about. I don't remember chiggers carrying such a nasty bite.

Re: 100% way not to feel the chigger bites - 06/25/12 05:48 PM

So what does cabelas sell to keep them off of me? I'm going thursday.

Posted By: Fooshman

Re: 100% way not to feel the chigger bites - 06/25/12 08:47 PM

I was in thick weeds yesterday while fishing and no chiggers. confused2

Posted By: Navasot

Re: 100% way not to feel the chigger bites - 06/30/12 02:03 PM

Go to an army surplus store and get the highest %deet bug repelent you can find. They cant sell it at regular stores like cabelas, only off and lower deet stuff like that. The surplus stores will have the good stuff?

Posted By: Texas Turkey Hunter DFW

Re: 100% way not to feel the chigger bites - 06/30/12 05:01 PM

I cant say this load enuff! ABSORBINE JR!!!! the alcohol and the camphor in it will reduce the itching tremendously and shorten the time of the overall exposure. trust me it works!

Posted By: Fooshman

Re: 100% way not to feel the chigger bites - 06/30/12 09:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Go to an army surplus store and get the highest %deet bug repelent you can find. They cant sell it at regular stores like cabelas, only off and lower deet stuff like that. The surplus stores will have the good stuff?

You buy 100% deet at Wal-mart and pretty much anywhere.

Posted By: Ramball36

Re: 100% way not to feel the chigger bites - 06/30/12 09:53 PM

Why did they stop selling that ChiggerRid stuff? It used to fix bites in like a day, now you can't find it anywhere...

Re: 100% way not to feel the chigger bites - 07/02/12 05:10 PM

that deet will put hair on your chest.... or maybe make it fall out lol. either way it works wonders.

Re: 100% way not to feel the chigger bites - 07/03/12 03:18 AM

Two weeks ago at the lease the insect americans took a few good chunks out of me. This past weekend i used off with 40% deet (highest I could find at wallymart) It did the trick.

I just wish I could see the little devil bastards die.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum