Texas Hunting Forum

Kent Fasteel vs Silver Steel

Posted By: Ambrot

Kent Fasteel vs Silver Steel - 06/05/12 04:07 PM

Anyone had a chance to compare these? It says it's an enhanced version of the already proven fasteel.

Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Kent Fasteel vs Silver Steel - 06/05/12 04:13 PM

I didn't see or feel any difference whatsoever between the two, just another gimmick if you ask me.

Posted By: Marcstar

Re: Kent Fasteel vs Silver Steel - 06/05/12 04:15 PM

I'd submit the biggest difference between the two is the cost. No joke. Fast steel has always worked well. Kent sees all these other companies putting out the gimmick shells like Blindsides and Black Clouds and decided they want to cash in as well. The components are probably a little better but I'm almost certain our results would not be changed.

Someone could probably show how the new Silvers pattern better...but then another guy will show how out of his gun Experts pattern best. It all comes down to doing the pattern work for your shooting set up. Personally I'm done...I'll shoot anything...Experts for me are crap so I'll shoot Rio's or the regular Kent's.

Re: Kent Fasteel vs Silver Steel - 06/05/12 04:32 PM

I actually just called up to Kent and asked about them haha. I was told they were able to make them lighter, and the main difference is that the pellets are zink plated which help with penetration and corrosion. Maybe help them stay together better also? I dunno.

Re: Kent Fasteel vs Silver Steel - 06/05/12 05:23 PM

The zink plating does help corrosion but the penetration claim is laughable. Corrosion is actually a big issue for waterfowlers. However most of the time keeping shells in a blind bag and maybe even using ziplocks seems to protect them. The other thing only take what you need in the field and don't expose all your shells to the elements over and over before they get used.

Posted By: Trout-killer

Re: Kent Fasteel vs Silver Steel - 06/05/12 05:36 PM

I like experts. They pattern the best out of my gun. Its all about the pattern.

Posted By: Red D

Re: Kent Fasteel vs Silver Steel - 06/05/12 06:07 PM

shot a turkey this season with Federal premium faststeel 3" Shell, #4 steel shot , 1600fps. Did not want to pay extra $$ for Kent. Results were perfect.

One shot, aimed dead on, distance 54-55 yards according to laser range meter.
Shot was placed 45° broadside. Some pellets penetrated thru wing feathers and broke a wing bone.

I think it was marketed as pheasant load, but still dont get it what is the big difference between turkey shots and pheasant shots. Same pellet size, same shell length, same powder load. But turkey shots cost $3-$10 more per box

Re: Kent Fasteel vs Silver Steel - 06/05/12 06:33 PM

When talking lead typically turkey loads are just bigger loads or ounces of shot. I've seen turkey loads come in over 2oz they normally come in 3 to 3.5". Pheasant loads are normally 2 3/4" or sometimes 3 (which is overkill). They will place different wads in turkey loads vs pheasant loads...they will also add buffers to turkey loads...both things to make the turkey loads pattern tighter. Pheasant loads open up more like any other load would. But bottom line you could kill either with whatever shell.

My question to you Red D is why are you using steel for turkey? I would use lead since you can. Obviously there can be local restrictions but I've never heard that for turkey...not that their isnt.

Re: Kent Fasteel vs Silver Steel - 06/05/12 09:31 PM

Looks like the silver steel has a higher velocity than the fast steel in the 1 1/4. Maybe that is why they penetrate better?

Re: Kent Fasteel vs Silver Steel - 06/05/12 10:49 PM

If that's the case then yeah. I thought I remember seeing that the silvers were actually slower. I'm pretty much just making up everything I say here because I've never tested and much less shot silvers but honestly I don't need to because the cheaper shells I use seem to work great.

Posted By: Judd

Re: Kent Fasteel vs Silver Steel - 06/06/12 02:52 AM

You guys that like cheap shells need to try the 100 a flat Federals from Roger's. Good, fast shell...I bought a flat of those toward the end of last year and they shot as well as my hand rolled ones.

Re: Kent Fasteel vs Silver Steel - 06/06/12 04:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Marcstar

My question to you Red D is why are you using steel for turkey? I would use lead since you can. Obviously there can be local restrictions but I've never heard that for turkey...not that their isnt.

Usually I cook the whole bird. Did not want to spend time looking for lead and cut poisoned meat. With steel it was easy - run powerful magnet over skin break, if it sticks then there is a pellet inside. feel around, get pellet out, no problem. Found about 5-6 pellets that way. And did not have to worry about lead pieces in tissue. Nice and clean.

Re: Kent Fasteel vs Silver Steel - 06/06/12 11:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Judd
You guys that like cheap shells need to try the 100 a flat Federals from Roger's. Good, fast shell...I bought a flat of those toward the end of last year and they shot as well as my hand rolled ones.

I got a flat of those Federal blue box shells in 3.5" for geese late last season. I have not shot them yet since I was using up my other shells. I'm interested to see how they will do.

Re: Kent Fasteel vs Silver Steel - 06/06/12 12:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Red D

Usually I cook the whole bird. Did not want to spend time looking for lead and cut poisoned meat. With steel it was easy - run powerful magnet over skin break, if it sticks then there is a pellet inside. feel around, get pellet out, no problem. Found about 5-6 pellets that way. And did not have to worry about lead pieces in tissue. Nice and clean.

I would think most of the lead would go through...I could see more still not going all the way through. I never really thought about lead poisoning meat. I've been eating birds shot with lead for years and have run into a few pellets here and their and I seem to be ok. On second though...oh no.

Re: Kent Fasteel vs Silver Steel - 06/06/12 01:24 PM

yep, that was exactly my concern. I can eat it, but did not want to take chances with my family. Plus lead will deform and/or shread into small pieces when hit bone. Steel pellet wil stay intact and easy to find and dig out. Just easier to clean on my part.

Re: Kent Fasteel vs Silver Steel - 06/06/12 01:55 PM

Well when turkey hunting when you do it right you are shooting them in the face so there should not be too many pellet's around the body...but there will always be fliers I suppose. I'm not sure I'd be all that worried about it. I guess if you want performance you can buy some nontox Hevi Shot or some other HD turkey load. They are expensive but then again I bought a box of turkey shells 3 or 4 years ago and I still have most of them.

Re: Kent Fasteel vs Silver Steel - 06/06/12 02:42 PM

Picked up a box last night. Going to be patterning it, fast steel, and Black Cloud this summer.

Kent Fast Steel 3" #3 1 1/4= 1425fps

Kent Silver Steel 3" #3 1 1/4= 1480fps

Re: Kent Fasteel vs Silver Steel - 06/06/12 04:11 PM

Well when turkey hunting when you do it right you are shooting them in the face so there should not be too many pellet's around the body...but there will always be fliers I suppose. I'm not sure I'd be all that worried about it. I guess if you want performance you can buy some nontox Hevi Shot or some other HD turkey load. They are expensive but then again I bought a box of turkey shells 3 or 4 years ago and I still have most of them.

At 55 yards with red dot 1x scope I cannot guarantee perfect head shot. So I aim for middle neck area. And it was turning when I hit it. Results were - lower neck area and left wing area

Re: Kent Fasteel vs Silver Steel - 06/06/12 07:30 PM

Yeah at 55 yards I guess you are right.

Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: Kent Fasteel vs Silver Steel - 06/07/12 12:58 AM

I love these threads.

Re: Kent Fasteel vs Silver Steel - 06/07/12 12:50 PM

I get hyped up about ammo because I love to shoot and it's about the only thing I'm really good at when it comes to bird hunting. Other than that I'm fat and kind of lazy. Not as lazy as a Dave Speer mind you but fairly lazy.

Re: Kent Fasteel vs Silver Steel - 06/07/12 01:14 PM

popcorn

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/shotshell.aspx?id=941

That ^^^

Posted By: Dave Speer

Re: Kent Fasteel vs Silver Steel - 06/07/12 03:35 PM

Not as lazy as a Dave Speer mind you but fairly lazy.

What can I say, by the time duck season rolls around I'm exhausted from spending 7 months getting ready for it!

Posted By: garrett

Re: Kent Fasteel vs Silver Steel - 06/07/12 03:52 PM

its exhausting just hunting with ou 2 monkeys, you would think that there would be at least one time that I didnt have to put out and pick up all the decoys!!

Posted By: mtnshape

Re: Kent Fasteel vs Silver Steel - 06/07/12 04:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave Speer
What can I say, by the time duck season rolls around I'm exhausted from spending 7 months getting ready for it!

Aint that the truth.

Save your money Fasteel kills ducks just as dead.

Re: Kent Fasteel vs Silver Steel - 06/07/12 04:23 PM

fast steel are too expensive for me.

Posted By: Gacman

Re: Kent Fasteel vs Silver Steel - 06/07/12 07:17 PM

I wish someone would tell me which shells actually give me the most bang for my buck. And I don't want someones's opinion. I want the truth!

Part of me wants to shoot blind sides or black cloud and the other part of me wants to shoot the cheapest shells I can find.

I will put out and pick up the dekes for you this season Garrett. I've got to live up to my title of best bird dog you've ever known.

Re: Kent Fasteel vs Silver Steel - 06/07/12 07:18 PM

PM marcstar, he can break down the shell thing for you

Re: Kent Fasteel vs Silver Steel - 06/07/12 07:19 PM

Originally Posted By: garrett

rofl

Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Kent Fasteel vs Silver Steel - 06/07/12 10:47 PM

Federal blue box or Remington Sure Shots are your best bang for your buck IMO. I've read good things on here about the Rios as well. I had two boxes of Fiocci's a couple years ago, and had several duds in them.

Posted By: Hardnfast

Re: Kent Fasteel vs Silver Steel - 06/07/12 11:38 PM

rofl

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Kent Fasteel vs Silver Steel - 06/07/12 11:44 PM

Best shells are the ones you can only shoot in Mexico and South America

Re: Kent Fasteel vs Silver Steel - 06/08/12 12:24 AM

I've never hunted in Mexico or South America

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Kent Fasteel vs Silver Steel - 06/08/12 12:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Hayraker
I've never hunted in Mexico or South America

But you did hunt before the ban smile

Re: Kent Fasteel vs Silver Steel - 06/08/12 12:48 AM

oh, lead shot, yep I like lead shot grin

Posted By: GoldLS1

Re: Kent Fasteel vs Silver Steel - 06/08/12 03:42 AM

Shot and patterend both... seemed the same to me.

Re: Kent Fasteel vs Silver Steel - 06/08/12 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave Speer

rofl

Laugh it up fuzz ball! But I will break it down! 12 PMs sent

Re: Kent Fasteel vs Silver Steel - 06/08/12 03:40 PM

QUIT SENDING ME PM'S, i DIDNT ASK THE QUESTION, THE OTHER GUY DID!!!

Re: Kent Fasteel vs Silver Steel - 06/08/12 04:00 PM

That's pretty funny Garrett..you know you want this valuable info though. Next PM will be discussing the merits of various coatings for pellets...should they add them should they let them just be regular...dude I'm excited already.

Re: Kent Fasteel vs Silver Steel - 06/08/12 04:41 PM

That's pretty funny Garrett..you know you want this valuable info though. Next PM will be discussing the merits of various coatings for pellets...should they add them should they let them just be regular...dude I'm excited already.

This should turn your crank, Marc:

http://www.seasonshot.com/How.cfm

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum