Texas Hunting Forum

Seeing mallards in NE TX?

Posted By: Lugar

Seeing mallards in NE TX? - 12/16/11 03:15 AM

I hunt near Lake Fork, is anybody seeing many mallards yet? We shot a couple over the weekend and saw only a few small flocks. A lot of the area is still dry but starting to get some water.

Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Seeing mallards in NE TX? - 12/16/11 03:17 AM

Thouzands

Posted By: duckslayer7

Re: Seeing mallards in NE TX? - 12/16/11 03:18 AM

I am covered in mallards but most of our hunts are over before they start flying really good I like to wait till the last few weeks to start shooting the mallards heavy because they look so much better

Posted By: Guy

Re: Seeing mallards in NE TX? - 12/16/11 03:23 AM

Birds come and rest a bit, but no food they are gone south. You find a spot with birds and no food, they will not stay long. This really sucks for interent scouters. rofl

Posted By: Lugar

Re: Seeing mallards in NE TX? - 12/16/11 03:25 AM

Beaversnipe are you drinking currently? Thousands?

Posted By: agsellers04

Re: Seeing mallards in NE TX? - 12/16/11 04:04 AM

I saw a bunch just west of Greenville last week.

Posted By: GigEmAggies

Re: Seeing mallards in NE TX? - 12/16/11 04:49 AM

Yes, only killed a few but we have seen plenty around here

Posted By: outdoor_medic

Re: Seeing mallards in NE TX? - 12/16/11 06:41 AM

I saw tons in the Decatur area

Posted By: duckman10

Re: Seeing mallards in NE TX? - 12/16/11 01:18 PM

They are starting to show up in big number up by the river. Finally got a good amount a water in the fields and timber so it should be on now.

Posted By: Twisted Mallard HC

Re: Seeing mallards in NE TX? - 12/16/11 02:37 PM

Lots and lots of Mallards in North Texas...

Posted By: ProDrivin86

Re: Seeing mallards in NE TX? - 12/16/11 02:40 PM

No mallards in north TX.

Posted By: ETXFIREMAN 1

Re: Seeing mallards in NE TX? - 12/16/11 04:35 PM

Mallards are all we've shot between Kaufman & Canton since second split opened

Posted By: ProDrivin86

Re: Seeing mallards in NE TX? - 12/16/11 04:40 PM

All the Mallards are piling up over there south west of Canton everyone!

Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Seeing mallards in NE TX? - 12/16/11 04:52 PM

Yep. Canton are where it bees at.

Driving down the road the other day headed back from the boats. Big ole group of mallards came across the interstate darkened the sky. before I knew what to do one hit my windshield. cracked it with a band.

Posted By: Heisman25g

Re: Seeing mallards in NE TX? - 12/16/11 05:28 PM

Yah, well im not seeing any and I keep hunting next to the dam like all of yall told me to.

To be honest, im getting sick of this dam hunting.

Posted By: nogeese

Re: Seeing mallards in NE TX? - 12/16/11 06:27 PM

one of the ponds on the ranch has about 100 to 300 on it every morning, I took some pics this am with the good camera but cant post em til i get home

Posted By: Cappy_TX

Re: Seeing mallards in NE TX? - 12/16/11 09:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Duks-R-Us
They are starting to show up in big number up by the river. Finally got a good amount a water in the fields and timber so it should be on now.

For the past week we've seen increasing numbers of mallards but ... all at altitude. They seem to be leaving the river around LST or shortly after, and begin filtering back there around 9 or after.
A few of the flights were so large and the birds so big that at distance I first thought that they were geese. It's embarrassing to begin honking at mallards only to have the dawg look at you like ... "WTH?"

wink

Posted By: nogeese

Re: Seeing mallards in NE TX? - 12/16/11 10:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Cappy_TX
Originally Posted By: Duks-R-Us

For the past week we've seen increasing numbers of mallards but ... all at altitude. They seem to be leaving the river around LST or shortly after, and begin filtering back there around 9 or after.
A few of the flights were so large and the birds so big that at distance I first thought that they were geese. It's embarrassing to begin honking at mallards only to have the dawg look at you like ... "WTH?"

wink

Dude pulled that carp with me one time and I gave her the call and said "then you call em"!!!!

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum