Texas Hunting Forum

Feed during the split

Posted By: HardWired

Feed during the split - 11/22/11 05:01 PM

Anyone ever tried putting out corn or something else during the split? I was just thinking about new birds coming down with the fronts, and keeping them attracted to a general area. Of course stop feeding legally in time for the second opener...

Thoughts?

Posted By: Rob Robertson

Re: Feed during the split - 11/22/11 05:20 PM

The 10-Day Rule

A baited area remains off limits to hunting for 10 days after all salt, grain, or other feed has been completely removed. This rule recognizes that waterfowl will still be attracted to the same area even after the bait is gone.

Posted By: HardWired

Re: Feed during the split - 11/22/11 06:06 PM

Thought it was a longer split, wasn't looking at my calendar. 12 Days is not enough time for this to be feasible.

Posted By: wal1809

Re: Feed during the split - 11/22/11 07:01 PM

Who is to declare the bait has been removed and the 10 day clock starts?

Posted By: dusten01

Re: Feed during the split - 11/22/11 09:50 PM

hear sweet potatoes are a duck favorite.

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Feed during the split - 11/22/11 10:05 PM

Thought it was against the law to even feed wild ducks grain

Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Feed during the split - 11/22/11 10:08 PM

nope

Smart but on a north Texas lake feeds them all along his property. Puts out a sign that says "duck feeding area no hunting within 300 yards" (yardage number may be off) to keep people from shooting ducks around his place. Nothing anyone can do about it.

Posted By: duckiller

Re: Feed during the split - 11/22/11 10:09 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Thought it was against the law to even feed wild ducks grain

Only against the to hunt over it.

Re: Feed during the split - 11/22/11 10:14 PM

Originally Posted By: ducknbass
nope

Smart but on a north Texas lake feeds them all along his property. Puts out a sign that says "duck feeding area no hunting within 300 yards" (yardage number may be off) to keep people from shooting ducks around his place. Nothing anyone can do about it.

Someone could claim hunter harassment if this would otherwise be a public hunting area. Gw could also write a ticket to anyone hunting the area if he felt like it aided there hunt. Whether it be 300 yards of 3000 yards.

Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Feed during the split - 11/22/11 10:21 PM

being that the water is a long ways from his property this year it is a moot point. But I will remember that and talk to the dawg next time it is. I always ASSumed someone had already complained and there was nothing anyone could do. Its a very heavily hunted lake.

Posted By: Navasot

Re: Feed during the split - 11/22/11 10:38 PM

Theres no law against feeding ducks with grain...only hunitng over it...if you feed at the first of the split and all the grain that you fed is ALL gone by the time season is back open you can hunt it....but i mean not one single grain

Re: Feed during the split - 11/23/11 04:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Navasotbred
Theres no law against feeding ducks with grain...only hunitng over it...if you feed at the first of the split and all the grain that you fed is ALL gone by the time season is back open you can hunt it....but i mean not one single grain

This is not correct. The last drop of grain has to be gone then a ten day period must pass before it can be hunted like Rob mentioned.

Re: Feed during the split - 11/23/11 02:54 PM

Originally Posted By: duckiller

This is not correct. The last drop of grain has to be gone then a ten day period must pass before it can be hunted like Rob mentioned.

So how is someone gona prove that grain has been gone for only 6 days insted of 10??? they cant....no grain no ticket

Posted By: Littledog

Re: Feed during the split - 11/23/11 05:34 PM

Good job Notsobred . .
Encourage people to break the law and throw out any hunter ethics.
You make me proud to be a Texas hunter.

Please tell us you dont have any children or participate in youth hunts.

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Feed during the split - 11/23/11 05:43 PM

Just an FYI...

There has been many a case across the country built off public forums and Facebook..ect

Posted By: Toledo

Re: Feed during the split - 11/23/11 05:45 PM

So how is someone gona prove that grain has been gone for only 6 days insted of 10??? they cant....no grain no ticket

Most baiting arrest come from someone making the call. All it takes is someone making the call. The warden showing up and documenting that feed is present on X date and then watching. If you hunt it within 10 days after X date then the verdict will be GUILTY.

Posted By: East

Re: Feed during the split - 11/23/11 06:17 PM

I have never baited for birds. But does it even make that big of a difference, mainly if you are hunting small private ponds? We usually get 3-4 birds each a night/morning, so I dont see how a $$$$ ticket would be worth 1-2 more birds. Never seen the results, but Ill stick with dekes and long range full choke 2 shot.

Re: Feed during the split - 11/23/11 07:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Littledog
Good job Notsobred . .
Encourage people to break the law and throw out any hunter ethics.
You make me proud to be a Texas hunter.

Please tell us you dont have any children or participate in youth hunts.

Your welcome big guy...iv never baited and never will...i got curious and asked a GW about it....a case needs evidence to hold..just simply saying without any grain at all what verdict can be made...O and your so called ethics are nothing more than YOUR way of seeing things...I hunt with respect to all animals and giv back twice as much as i take to the land....

Posted By: STXHO

Re: Feed during the split - 11/23/11 07:09 PM

Originally Posted By: duckiller

I have never, and never will bait any migratory bird. But there was a incident on the King Ranch last season where hunters were feeding a lake edge for deer and the GW caught wind of it. It was a honest mistake, feeding for deer on a lake edge is not illegal. But the lake was hunted by another leaser for ducks and geese. The King Ranch officials and GW's quickly put a stop to that and made a huge deal out of it, even though it was an honest mistake and a lack of communication between both parties. I would't even waste my time feeding ducks, and if I did I would't talk about it on the internet.

Posted By: casey77

Re: Feed during the split - 11/23/11 08:00 PM

I feed them all the time at the parks and then shoot them with a BB gun, just for the band though. banana

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum