Texas Hunting Forum

duck hunting the colorado

Posted By: trozy55

duck hunting the colorado - 11/21/11 11:59 PM

I’m not looking to find anyone’s secret spot, just trying to find more information about it. I would like to try and duck hunt the Colorado River east of Austin and just trying to find where I can hunt and where I can’t hunt. As well as what I can and can’t do. From my understanding is that as long as I’m in the water outside of the city limits than I should be okay. If some others could please help me I would greatly appreciate it, thanks.

Posted By: Trozacky

Re: duck hunting the colorado - 11/22/11 04:20 AM

Good luck on here......

Posted By: SR025

Re: duck hunting the colorado - 11/22/11 05:49 AM

popcorn

Posted By: BallerCaller

Re: duck hunting the colorado - 11/22/11 07:10 AM

get an airboat

Posted By: wal1809

Re: duck hunting the colorado - 11/22/11 09:55 AM

You will have to be 1200 feet from the city limits as most cities have a jurisdictional boudary of 1200 feet so far as discharging firearms. You have to stay in the river channel and your pellets have to stay in the river channel. Not easy sometimes.

Posted By: trozy55

Re: duck hunting the colorado - 11/23/11 01:48 AM

Bueller................Bueller............................Bueller

Posted By: Erichugh22

Re: duck hunting the colorado - 11/23/11 01:55 AM

I'm pretty sure it's almost impossible to keep your pellets in the river channel unless your shooting them off the water.

Posted By: wal1809

Re: duck hunting the colorado - 11/23/11 02:09 AM

Originally Posted By: FallinFeathers
I'm pretty sure it's almost impossible to keep your pellets in the river channel unless your shooting them off the water.

Exactly!

Posted By: Hopedale

Re: duck hunting the colorado - 11/23/11 02:10 AM

How do you plan on getting on the river?

I ask because I went on it with someone and their Jon boat. We head down river from where we launched and it was a pain in the arse. A lot of low water crossing which required getting out of the boat and dragging to next section

Went up river and was better but couldn't go for

I'd say check it out come the split. But like most said you need to watch were your shooting. So it will be hard to hunt

Posted By: STXHO

Re: duck hunting the colorado - 11/23/11 05:22 AM

I grew up hunting that river, its not hard to hunt you just have to know what you are doing. Look at maps they can tell you a lot about the river. Spend a lot of time running on the same stretch to get to know the channels and what is under the water. I would invest in a mud motor. On a year like this one an outboard won't get you very far.

Posted By: FowlDreams

Re: duck hunting the colorado - 11/23/11 05:26 AM

Originally Posted By: stxhunterhjm
I grew up hunting that river, its not hard to hunt you just have to know what you are doing. Look at maps they can tell you a lot about the river. Spend a lot of time running on the same stretch to get to know the channels and what is under the water. I would invest in a mud motor. On a year like this one an outboard won't get you very far.

better have an extra prop. Some stretches are shallow with a rock/gravel bottom...

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum