Texas Hunting Forum

Zero dove

Posted By: janie

Zero dove - 09/04/11 01:05 AM

Hunted 2 hours this a.m. 3 1/2 hours this evening. No dove bagged. In fact, have yet to fire a shot. I'm bummed fellas.

Posted By: trapperjustin

Re: Zero dove - 09/04/11 01:24 AM

Well atleast. You got to go afield. I haven't even touched my shotgun yet

Posted By: Hopedale

Re: Zero dove - 09/04/11 01:27 AM

Originally Posted By: trapperjustin
Well atleast. You got to go afield. I haven't even touched my shotgun yet

Same here.

Posted By: cm250

Re: Zero dove - 09/04/11 01:58 AM

Very little movement in North Grayson either Janie. Did take a shot at the three I saw this pm, were way out of range, but had to at least shoot at them. Was only able to police one spent shell, other two fell into cracks in the ground. Could hear them falling for what sounded like 20- 30 ft. Going to try the yotes in the am, cool front supposed to move in during the night, supposed to be in the lower 70's, just have to be out chasing or calling something in the cooler air.

Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Zero dove - 09/04/11 02:28 AM

LOL at the cracks.... we had a guy literally drop his car keys in one today!!!!

They were hard to find today, I got three with nine shells tonight, but most were WTHout of range too. Drop one, cartwheeled into the ground, at about 70 yards.... have no idea how that even happened... I quit and went to the shop to celebrate

Posted By: cyphertext

Re: Zero dove - 09/04/11 01:08 PM

Haven't been out to the DJ Farm yet. Went to a friends place in Abilene and was slow there too. First day, I got 12, plus a ringneck. My father was the only one who limited out of seven of us, and that was after a morning and evening hunt. Typically, most of us can limit on opening morning. Day two was just a lot of time spent in the heat for me. I got one bird for the day.

Posted By: LakeForkLodge

Re: Zero dove - 09/04/11 07:35 PM

Yep its great just to have a shotgun in my hand again. My son and I got to go for the 1st time in eight years due to his HS and college football career.

Posted By: txmikenlisa1

Re: Zero dove - 09/04/11 09:44 PM

Just hunted Coolidge with a couple buddies. Only got 7 birds between us after both a morning and afternoon hunt. Thats less than 1 per hour! Still had fun being out there with friends. But it sure would have been nice to see a bit more action.

Posted By: redhunter

Re: Zero dove - 09/05/11 01:11 AM

The high winds Are not helping the situation. Im telling you friday night in northeast texas I saw flock after flock of 20 to 30 flying really was a beautiful site even though I set uo and the wrong dend of the field..

Posted By: beatarmy

Re: Zero dove - 09/05/11 02:11 AM

Not many dove in the Leonard area. Opening morning hunted a DJ field near Bailey. Shot at 2 birds, killed one. I saw maybe 8 or 9 flying while I was in the field...very few.

Hunted this afternoon by a tank...same general area. Didn't fire a shot. I saw maybe 5 birds flying the whole time. Hey at least I don't have to clean my gun.

I might go again once we get a few cold fronts to see if any migratory birds come thru...at this rate it's gonna be embarassing to get HIP certified next year.

Posted By: T Bone

Re: Zero dove - 09/05/11 02:15 AM

Originally Posted By: beatarmy
at this rate it's gonna be embarassing to get HIP certified next year

Posted By: CinchMan

Re: Zero dove - 09/05/11 05:04 AM

Originally Posted By: beatarmy
Not many dove in the Leonard area. Opening morning hunted a DJ field near Bailey. Shot at 2 birds, killed one. I saw maybe 8 or 9 flying while I was in the field...very few.

Hunted this afternoon by a tank...same general area. Didn't fire a shot. I saw maybe 5 birds flying the whole time. Hey at least I don't have to clean my gun.

I might go again once we get a few cold fronts to see if any migratory birds come thru...at this rate it's gonna be embarassing to get HIP certified next year.

x2 We hunted there yesterday morning and saw 3 birds way out of range, and saw 15 tonight, some out of range. My buddy shot 1. Pretty disappointed....

Posted By: DWADR

Re: Zero dove - 09/05/11 02:38 PM

From what i've been hearing, if you have any water holes whatsoever, that is the ticket. we shot an 8 man limit on the opener around a small tank.

Posted By: glasshole

Re: Zero dove - 09/05/11 10:37 PM

Roger that dwadr. Was in San Saba this weekend to get ready for Bow season. we have never hunted doves out there because we just dont't see them. Sat around the last surviving Water Hole yesterday evening w/a mojo(very effective btw by water in the evening) Me and my buddy shot 28 between the two of us. One of the most fun dove hunts I have had in awhile...probably becuase I wasn't expecting anything. will upload pics in a little bit

Posted By: Moonie Magnum

Re: Zero dove - 09/06/11 12:35 AM

I have hunted twice around Italy south of Dallas and it seems like they are flying more in the mornings.

Posted By: Bob in Big D

Re: Zero dove - 09/06/11 04:26 PM

4 of us hunted two morning in Lenard Baley area and 3 birds to show for it. Maybe SIG can post when the birds move down from the north.

Posted By: janie

Re: Zero dove - 09/06/11 04:35 PM

Still incredibly slow. Saw one lone dove out at DJ Farms. Friend gave us access to his land close by and since opening day, we've netted only 24 birds total.

Re: Zero dove - 09/06/11 04:39 PM

Saw none between 5 and 630, then shot four of 10 that I saw from 630 to 7 sitting in the back yard.... real slow, need cold front

Posted By: Brewboy

Re: Zero dove - 09/06/11 05:02 PM

Not Zero but still somewhat bummed from this years opening weekend. Dropped $300 for my new son-in-law and I to hunt Friday and Saturday in Breckenridge.

Very poor dove hunting over sunflowers, only 3 on Friday Morning, 1 on Friday evening, 4 on Saturday morning, didn't bother to return for Saturday evening.

I headed out to my deer lease in Sweetwater and hunted a tank. I shot 7 birds Saturday evening and then another 7 on Sunday evening. Totaled 22 birds for opening weekend.

Not exactly the best year ever but at least there'll be dove tacos on Friday night.

Posted By: NM-Aggie

Re: Zero dove - 09/06/11 06:14 PM

Slow up in Grayson Co. on Saturday morning and Monday morning. Saw two or tree flocks flying high. Got to get out with my daughter on Saturday though, so it was worth it even though we only got one.

Posted By: vfrjeremy

Re: Zero dove - 09/06/11 06:24 PM

We were near Wolfe City Thursday. I spent 7 shells, got 4 birds. Another buddy got 2 and the three others in our group got blanked. Never seen it this slow. Went back yesterday and took a few shots but didn't get a bird. Same spot we were limiting in last year. I don't know what we need, cold front, water, whatever, but I sure hope some birds show up.

Posted By: derek1771

Re: Zero dove - 09/06/11 07:26 PM

Well, heck. This forum sure makes me feel better. Been out on 7 hunts at DJ Farms. Only killed 5 birds between two of us. Haven't even seen enough over the first week to limit.

Posted By: slow944

Re: Zero dove - 09/07/11 03:06 AM

Drove all the way to Corsicana this morning and saw 6 birds from sun-up to 1230. got to take 1 shot. Bummed in Dallas.

Posted By: CinchMan

Re: Zero dove - 09/07/11 03:38 AM

Our group of 4 has been on 4 hunts to DJ Farms and we've shot 4 birds total. Pretty disappointing so far...

Posted By: cyphertext

Re: Zero dove - 09/08/11 03:37 AM

My boy and I went out to one of the DJ Farms fields in Grayson county this evening. Was surprised to see two other trucks in the field. My boy took two shots at two dove. Was slow, but we had some father and son time, so can't complain.

Re: Zero dove - 09/08/11 02:50 PM

Still bummed in Dallas. Drove back to Corsicana for an afternoon hunt and got off 1 more shot only this time I turned a young dove into swiss cheese as it surprised me and I snap shot it head on and there wasn't much left. So I'm 1 for 2 on shooting this year.

Posted By: Hunt Em Up

Re: Zero dove - 09/08/11 05:49 PM

Man we have slaugtered them up in Denton County. A coupld days before opening day we went scouting and I kid you not, counted over 450 birds from 6:30 P.M. to 7:50 P.M. Killed 83 opening day. 73 saturday night. It was like a war zone, I couldnt keep my gun loaded. We werent even sitting on a pond either!

One of my buddies was hunting in Denton Co. as well on an open field and shot.

I thought we would have no chance of seeing a bird since it is so dry but they are still flying.

Posted By: Hunt Em Up

Re: Zero dove - 09/08/11 05:55 PM

just so yall dont think i'm lying!

Posted By: Dfwguy

Re: Zero dove - 09/08/11 06:50 PM

need some help up there? wink

Posted By: Old_School

Re: Zero dove - 09/08/11 06:55 PM

Same out west along the state line, Hunt 'em Up. Stupid birds didn't realize there was a drought on. We didn't even get around to hunting the 2 tanks we have out there. My barrel was so hot I left the bolt open so it would cool off. They were scarfing down dove weed and short staple wheat that'd been cut a couple of years ago.

Interesting findings in the bird's crops this year... some of the seeds I didn't recognize. Middle of the month we are going back out there and I think I'll snap some pics for some ID. One dove actually had corn from a feed trough... a morning dove full of corn!

Posted By: CleerCreekDC

Re: Zero dove - 09/08/11 07:32 PM

Slaying them in Denton county as well

Re: Zero dove - 09/08/11 11:23 PM

Whats it take to get an invite to join the fun??

Re: Zero dove - 09/09/11 01:35 AM

Better last night and tonight, got a few each tonight, in an hour or so, and four snakes!

Posted By: Z71Tx

Re: Zero dove - 09/09/11 03:04 AM

The dove are flying around Godley. We were hunting next to a sunflower field on opening morning. If I could have shot worth a darned and found all of my birds I could have limited. I ended up with 4 in the bag with plans to return that night but it didn't happen.

Got back out there on Friday evening and bagged 13 in about 1 1/2 hours. Birds were everywhere!!

Tuesday night was different. I guess the cool front changed the flying pattern and I didn't do any good.

Re: Zero dove - 09/10/11 03:38 AM

Anybody hunting up around Howe this weekend? Went by Richardson's Gun Shop and picked up a dove lease and was wondering if anyone is going tomorrow morning. Since I didn't get the tour Vernon said hook up with some of the hunters in that area nad learn where all the properties were. Let me know....Jerry

Posted By: 1FowlHntR

Re: Zero dove - 09/10/11 03:45 PM

I have to agree with HopeDale....been laid up from knee surgery knee hasn't been feeling good enuff to walk in to my normal spots!!

Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Zero dove - 09/10/11 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)
LOL at the cracks.... we had a guy literally drop his car keys in one today!!!!

They were hard to find today, I got three with nine shells tonight, but most were WTHout of range too. Drop one, cartwheeled into the ground, at about 70 yards.... have no idea how that even happened... I quit and went to the shop to celebrate

One of my dogs accidently shoved a dead dove into a crack. I could see a couple of feathers down there but no bird, too deep. THAT was a first.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum