Texas Hunting Forum

Pics from the THF waterfowlers weekend hunt.

Posted By: Sniper John

Pics from the THF waterfowlers weekend hunt. - 01/10/11 03:52 PM

Day 1.
Because I had an Oklahoma license I ended up hunting in Oklahoma and not with the main group of hunters. It was easily one of the more memorable waterfowl hunts I have been on. JJ paired me up with Brock Williams of Delta Waterfowl. He is quite a character.

We hunted a pond deep into Oklahoma and had some nice weather for the first day. Hunted off a beaver lodge in the middle of the pond. The decoys were actually placed on the far bank with the idea the ducks would not land in them but out towards us due to there being no wind that morning. To be honest we needed no decoys.

A picture of the pond I took later.

Even though it was legal time, I spent maybe 30 minutes just watching birds before I fired a shot there were so many. I did not get many pictures the first day. I had my camera laid up on the side of the beaver lodge and in the heat of a volley laid down next to it a Gadwall Brock's dog had just retrieved. It was still kicking. It kicked my camera, which rolled into the water.

1st days haul. Two limits of Greenheads and Grey ducks and 4 Magnum Canadas.

The Geese where a nice surprise. I had a handful of #4 Hevi shot loads in a pocket at ready for just such a moment because I knew the #6 shot I was shooting would not have worked. I was able to get a triple on the Geese, with my 2nd shot dropping two birds in one shot. They were lined up side by side less than thirty yards low, and head to head. And the third on the third shot. Brock shot a fourth I never saw until it almost hit me coming down over the beaver lodge.

A picture of Brock's old dog after the hunt.

My girl Blaze could not make this trip. She was busy working the THF booth at Texas Hunting Fishing show for JP.

I don't normally take tailgate pics, but I had to get one has they were mounded up in the bed and on the tailgate headed for the nice cleaning station JJ has out there.

Day one group shot.

Saturday eveing I sat on one of the Blinds to see if I could get a hog. It was a tripod close over a feeder, so I took my backup shotgun instead of a rifle. It was an Ithaca Mag 10 and I put on a deerslayer barrel. I had both slugs and 00 Hevi shot. Just after dark I pulled out the predator calls. I made a couple coyote yodels, and some soft dying rabbit sounds throwing in a yote yip here and there. Within 5 minutes I had a coyote sneak in behind me no more than 20 yards. I spun around and got a shot with the buck that spun in around at the treeline, but it was right at the back legs. In the dark, I crawled around through the cedars and brush for a while, but was unable to find it. It made for an exciting hunt though.

And a picture of the River from scouting after the hunt. It would have been considered if the ponds in our area had froze over.

Posted By: garrett

Re: Pics from the THF waterfowlers weekend hunt. - 01/10/11 03:57 PM

looks like I missed out...,that canada is huge!!

Re: Pics from the THF waterfowlers weekend hunt. - 01/10/11 04:11 PM

Day 2
Back in Oklahoma, our group stayed the night in an old coonhunters camp at Brock's invitation. Ate some of the most awesome duck I have ever eaten, which had been marinating since the morning hunt. Best I have ever had.

On this morning we had SNOW and lots of it.

Not the great number of early morning birds converging on us like the day before, but birds came in steady the entire time we hunted and probably did all day.

A shot from the shore towards the beaver lodge this time. Realize I am with backup camera and in weather not favorable to any camera.

Bigfoot lives in Oklahoma. I have proof.

Brock's face mask just kills me. I love it. A true old school waterfowler.

You can probably tell by now, I like old dogs.

Re: Pics from the THF waterfowlers weekend hunt. - 01/10/11 04:11 PM

With the weather, we were not able to make it back out to JJ's place for a group shot. It took me a long time to get home yesterday with all the snow north of the river. Sometimes I could only drive 20 mph and could not see very far ahead of me. But here is the hunt group shot. Mostly Gadwalls this day, but I think there were some mallards in there.

Good times for sure.

I close with this picture I took just before stepping in my truck to head home.

Posted By: BMD

Re: Pics from the THF waterfowlers weekend hunt. - 01/10/11 04:19 PM

Great pics!

Posted By: Ducky-Style

Re: Pics from the THF waterfowlers weekend hunt. - 01/10/11 04:27 PM

coolpics

Posted By: Lance2373

Re: Pics from the THF waterfowlers weekend hunt. - 01/10/11 04:28 PM

Man John those are some awesome pics! Back-up camera or not!

Posted By: Super90

Re: Pics from the THF waterfowlers weekend hunt. - 01/10/11 05:01 PM

Very nice pictures. Especially the ones of the hunt in the snow !

Posted By: Featherduster

Re: Pics from the THF waterfowlers weekend hunt. - 01/10/11 05:05 PM

I've never even seen that much snow with my own two eyes. Looks awesome. Fantastic pics!

Posted By: kellygunner

Re: Pics from the THF waterfowlers weekend hunt. - 01/10/11 05:20 PM

coolpics . It was nice to meet you finally.

Kelly

Posted By: T Bone

Re: Pics from the THF waterfowlers weekend hunt. - 01/10/11 05:29 PM

My wife and I had a great time on Saturday.. Got to meet Sniper John and Brock, his guide.. Our guide was Ross and he was excellent as well.. Had some good food that afternoon and shared a few stories around the fire..

Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Pics from the THF waterfowlers weekend hunt. - 01/10/11 05:56 PM

looks like a great time John, great pics as usual. That snow was wild! Its been a while since I've seen it coming in sideways. we had isses driving in it as well, but once we got south of the metromess, it cleared up

Posted By: Judd

Re: Pics from the THF waterfowlers weekend hunt. - 01/10/11 05:58 PM

Definitely looks like fun...

Posted By: Hopedale

Re: Pics from the THF waterfowlers weekend hunt. - 01/10/11 06:04 PM

Great pics even with a back-up camera. Luv the snow pics.

Posted By: Moose K

Re: Pics from the THF waterfowlers weekend hunt. - 01/10/11 06:25 PM

Awesome pics.

I want one of those mega Canadas.

Posted By: cable

Re: Pics from the THF waterfowlers weekend hunt. - 01/10/11 07:24 PM

Awesome photos John. Brock is a great guy. Never had the chance to hunt with him but worked with him at a Delta event. Looks like ya'll had a great time.

Posted By: LuckyDucker

Re: Pics from the THF waterfowlers weekend hunt. - 01/10/11 07:42 PM

Great photos John, especially the one's in the snow on Sunday. Good meet you on Saturday, btw. Meet some good people this weekend and had a great time for sure. up

Posted By: hunt4food

Re: Pics from the THF waterfowlers weekend hunt. - 01/10/11 08:49 PM

O yes I remember you dog at the Show this week I had the Alaska Fishing Booth Across from you guys..Going Hunting in Morning can not wate..

Posted By: bjepsen85

Re: Pics from the THF waterfowlers weekend hunt. - 01/10/11 08:52 PM

Looks like fun! I wish I was able to hunt in the snow Sunday, It was pooring rain on us until 11:00 when it turned to snow. Those pics look awesome, those are some BIG geese too.

Posted By: WhiskeyandMe

Re: Pics from the THF waterfowlers weekend hunt. - 01/11/11 01:48 AM

John,

Absolutely AWESOME pic's!!! clap

I knew you would have a "GREAT" time up there and that is why I paired you up with the "Okie" crew!!! up

Ya'll what a "GREAT" time!!!!! I enjoyed meetin' everyone of ya'll and look forward to doing this again next year!!!

I ain't gonna lie it was a little tough going into the weekend...but we finished pretty good with harvesting roughly 80 ducks and 4 geese in two days! There was several groups that passed on Ringers and other diver ducks...

I really enjoyed everyone coming back to my house and sitting around the fire and talking...

Glad everyone was safe getting home and and coming up here!

If anyone else took pic's please feel free to post them up here!

Thanks again! up

J.J.

Some pic's I took:
Hunter:

Mindy and Travis:

Group from Sunday: (you can see the blizzard in the background)

Posted By: thefish

Re: Pics from the THF waterfowlers weekend hunt. - 01/11/11 02:09 AM

If You hunted with Brock Ross and shark on Sunday, you had to have a good time. Nthat's a fun group.

Posted By: TX_Waterfowler

Re: Pics from the THF waterfowlers weekend hunt. - 01/11/11 02:42 AM

Good Hunting!! Nice pic on the Canadians!!

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum