Texas Hunting Forum

Went out for another dove hunt saturday but got chased out.....

Posted By: Texas Heat

Went out for another dove hunt saturday but got chased out..... - 09/21/10 02:47 PM

By mesquitos!!! This would have been our third trip out to the ranch to bust some doves, never had any issue with it before.
But for some reason this time there were swarms of these little devils everywhere, it was so bad we couldnt even hunt. You would look down and have no less than 15 on your arms and another 20 on your back.

What could have caused this sudden outbreak, all that rain a couple weeks back?

Posted By: ccvidimos

Re: Went out for another dove hunt saturday but got chased out..... - 09/21/10 02:50 PM

probably. but for whatever reason they really like white meat. my uncle's mexican and has NEVER had one mesquito bite in his life.

Posted By: aussie1

Re: Went out for another dove hunt saturday but got chased out..... - 09/21/10 02:52 PM

THERMACELL

Posted By: Team Hillbilly

Re: Went out for another dove hunt saturday but got chased out..... - 09/21/10 02:54 PM

Originally Posted By: aussie1
THERMACELL
works great

Posted By: BigAL33

Re: Went out for another dove hunt saturday but got chased out..... - 09/21/10 04:09 PM

Deet

Posted By: viatordp

Re: Went out for another dove hunt saturday but got chased out..... - 09/21/10 04:38 PM

i just heard of this sunday from a guy i hunt with he said that if you get a squirt bottle fill it up with half listerine (the original not the mint or any other flavor) and half water then whereever your hunting spray all around the area it clears the skeeters out they wont come near you and its eco frindely. dont know if it works but im going to find out this weekend

Posted By: Hopedale

Re: Went out for another dove hunt saturday but got chased out..... - 09/21/10 05:11 PM

Yes. Everywhere you see a small puddle of water standing, is probably where the eggs where waiting on water. After a few days, they hatch and you've got the Louisiana official state bird all around you.

Did you stay around Hood or did you travel south?

Posted By: Marcstar

Re: Went out for another dove hunt saturday but got chased out..... - 09/21/10 06:11 PM

IS this the old Texas Heat or a new guy? Confused

Re: Went out for another dove hunt saturday but got chased out..... - 09/21/10 06:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Hopedale
Yes. Everywhere you see a small puddle of water standing, is probably where the eggs where waiting on water. After a few days, they hatch and you've got the Louisiana official state bird all around you.

Did you stay around Hood or did you travel south?

I headed about an hour south, Burnet county just south of Marble Falls.

Re: Went out for another dove hunt saturday but got chased out..... - 09/21/10 06:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Marcstar
Well im pretty new to this site, so I am guessing im not the old one your referring to. Must just be a coincidence.

Posted By: ccvidimos

Re: Went out for another dove hunt saturday but got chased out..... - 09/21/10 06:39 PM

how long you been at hood?

Posted By: bjepsen85

Re: Went out for another dove hunt saturday but got chased out..... - 09/21/10 07:16 PM

After the teal hunt Saturday I was sitting in church Sunday and counted 48 bites on just my hands. That will be the last time I forget the bugspray at home!

Posted By: Marcstar

Re: Went out for another dove hunt saturday but got chased out..... - 09/21/10 07:50 PM

Texas Heat was pretty well known here...in fact if it wasnt for your post count I would have thought you were him. The Fort Hood thing was really the reason I knew it wasnt the other guy. Anyway he got banned from this site I think but I always liked him.

Re: Went out for another dove hunt saturday but got chased out..... - 09/21/10 08:16 PM

Originally Posted By: ccvidimos
how long you been at hood?

Since september of 2006, but im actually from Marble Falls so I sorta got stationed back at home. It has it's perks.

Re: Went out for another dove hunt saturday but got chased out..... - 09/21/10 08:16 PM

Texas Heat was pretty well known here...in fact if it wasnt for your post count I would have thought you were him. The Fort Hood thing was really the reason I knew it wasnt the other guy. Anyway he got banned from this site I think but I always liked him.

Ah ok, figured it was something to that effect.

Posted By: cephus

Re: Went out for another dove hunt saturday but got chased out..... - 09/21/10 08:44 PM

They were horrible for us as well...we are in the columbus area and got dive-bombed all day long

Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Went out for another dove hunt saturday but got chased out..... - 09/21/10 08:46 PM

It's the old Texas Heat on meds. grin

Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Went out for another dove hunt saturday but got chased out..... - 09/21/10 08:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Heat
By mesquitos!!! This would have been our third trip out to the ranch to bust some doves, never had any issue with it before.
But for some reason this time there were swarms of these little devils everywhere, it was so bad we couldnt even hunt. You would look down and have no less than 15 on your arms and another 20 on your back.

What could have caused this sudden outbreak, all that rain a couple weeks back?

Has anyone told you your kinda a crybaby. Just saying.

Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Went out for another dove hunt saturday but got chased out..... - 09/21/10 08:52 PM

Sorry I had to.

Re: Went out for another dove hunt saturday but got chased out..... - 09/21/10 08:55 PM

Ha ha ha ha......

Posted By: ishootspoonies

Re: Went out for another dove hunt saturday but got chased out..... - 09/22/10 02:39 AM

i was wondering the same thing

Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Went out for another dove hunt saturday but got chased out..... - 09/22/10 03:16 AM

Originally Posted By: aussie1
THERMACELL

don't leave home without it up

Posted By: deckhand

Re: Went out for another dove hunt saturday but got chased out..... - 09/22/10 03:21 AM

I was on a duck hunt last year after a big rain and the flying blood suckers were draining me. Luckily my partner pull some deet out of his bag flehan

Posted By: txpw

Re: Went out for another dove hunt saturday but got chased out..... - 09/22/10 03:50 AM

i was out in san saba today doin some work and while i was drivin around the ranch they were surarounding my truck. i dont know if the noise of my truck sets them off "02 cumins" or what. but never really got bit. just attacking the truck

Posted By: RangerRick

Re: Went out for another dove hunt saturday but got chased out..... - 09/22/10 09:11 AM

oh yeah..well me and two buddies were hunting one day down by the river and we seen a skeeter so big....
so big... he was flying off with a steer on the end of his nozzle.... loco_too

Posted By: Water Turkey2

Re: Went out for another dove hunt saturday but got chased out..... - 09/22/10 01:16 PM

Amazingly, 13 inches of rain will lead to an increase in the mosquito population.

Posted By: dr730

Re: Went out for another dove hunt saturday but got chased out..... - 09/22/10 02:51 PM

I hear ya. I went dove hunting yesterday evening and got AT LEAST 100 mosquito bites. It was miserable but I couldn't leave while it was still leagal shooting hours. smile

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum