Texas Hunting Forum

what is all this rain going to do to the dove migration?

Posted By: Ed Lingenfelter

what is all this rain going to do to the dove migration? - 09/08/10 12:48 PM

Oh you wise and experienced dove hunters. Will this tropical storm we are experiencing in North Texas hold up the migration of northern birds?

Posted By: Premo

Re: what is all this rain going to do to the dove migration? - 09/08/10 04:52 PM

Yes, but not long.

Posted By: Txduckman

Re: what is all this rain going to do to the dove migration? - 09/08/10 05:01 PM

Forecast for the next 10 days doesn't show a front coming down though so not sure what will happen. Back on 2004 according to my records I didn't have a good limit shoot until October when some birds finally came down at the land I was leasing out west.

Posted By: Ed Lingenfelter

Re: what is all this rain going to do to the dove migration? - 09/08/10 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Txduckman
Forecast for the next 10 days doesn't show a front coming down though so not sure what will happen. Back on 2004 according to my records I didn't have a good limit shoot until October when some birds finally came down at the land I was leasing out west.

So if we are watching the weather we need to look for a front traveling south and the birds will be a day or so ahead of that?

Posted By: Txduckman

Re: what is all this rain going to do to the dove migration? - 09/08/10 05:40 PM

I suppose if you try to time it and when you hit the field. Are you hunting leased crops or public? Many fields are done for the season since the waste grain will be gone and they will be planted or rested. Personally, I just go when I can so hope the birds are there. If I was leasing I would network to find out when the birds are there and where.

Posted By: bermise

Re: what is all this rain going to do to the dove migration? - 09/08/10 05:40 PM

should be, but a lot of leases are focused on local or town birds and they tend to stay hunkered down or will return shortly after the storm passes. One of my best dove shoots was in central texas 6 years ago was during a light rain spell that lasted a couple days. Go figure...

Posted By: deckhand

Re: what is all this rain going to do to the dove migration? - 09/08/10 05:41 PM

No real effect other than slowing cold fronts. It will scatter birds everywhere. Migrating birds will still move down once this system moves out.

Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: what is all this rain going to do to the dove migration? - 09/08/10 06:28 PM

Good point about the harvested fields. All of that spilled grain that was on the ground will be gone after this rain. Concentrate on standing crops and sunflowers. Waterhole hunting may be almost nonexistent for the next couple of weeks.

Posted By: scattergun

Re: what is all this rain going to do to the dove migration? - 09/08/10 08:17 PM

Is it going to snow this year? Pure speculation.

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: what is all this rain going to do to the dove migration? - 09/08/10 09:10 PM

how will this effect the south zone?

we were covered up in birds in our sunflower field south of uvalde, but we got close to 4 inches of rain there the last week.

any predictions?

Posted By: bermise

Re: what is all this rain going to do to the dove migration? - 09/08/10 11:56 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
how will this effect the south zone?

we were covered up in birds in our sunflower field south of uvalde, but we got close to 4 inches of rain there the last week.

any predictions?

I can come down September 18 and get a dove count for you!

Posted By: udamdan

Re: what is all this rain going to do to the dove migration? - 09/09/10 12:25 AM

Let you know this weekend near Olney !

The One armed dove hunt will be Fun flag

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum