Texas Hunting Forum

Decoys. How far away from you

Posted By: Ed Lingenfelter

Decoys. How far away from you - 09/07/10 05:55 PM

How far do you set your Dove Decoys and from where your sitting?

Posted By: TBK

Re: Decoys. How far away from you - 09/07/10 06:16 PM

How far away do you want to shoot? I always place dekes, duck or dove, with that in mind. I think you will end up moving them anyway during the coarse of the day so just start close and adjust until you get what you want. Sun angle, wind, cover, etc all play into it so you'll have to just guess really. But if I was throwing numbers out, I'd say 20 to 25 yards maybe.

Posted By: Gengo

Re: Decoys. How far away from you - 09/07/10 06:18 PM

Usually within gunning range so the furthest about 30-35 yards. Sometimes I will put a pair of pintails about 50 yards out with a big hole for them to land between the pair and the rest of my spread.

Posted By: bhunter

Re: Decoys. How far away from you - 09/07/10 06:19 PM

I put them as far as my gun will shoot, this way I know what shot to take or not.

Posted By: cody

Re: Decoys. How far away from you - 09/07/10 06:20 PM

Dove...Mojo on top of the round bale I'm sitting under...if they're coming to it they'll land on your head...

Posted By: UTMallard

Re: Decoys. How far away from you - 09/07/10 06:22 PM

If I'm sitting in good cover, I like to put the mojo 15-20 yards in front of me...as close as I can get away with, well within shotgun range.

Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Decoys. How far away from you - 09/07/10 06:25 PM

normally too close, which is about 20-25 yds. I end up moving them futher out

Posted By: pig out

Re: Decoys. How far away from you - 09/07/10 09:11 PM

pretty close 15 to 20 yards away.

Posted By: BMowatt

Re: Decoys. How far away from you - 09/07/10 09:12 PM

close, bring them in as close as you can

Posted By: txd33rhunt3r

Re: Decoys. How far away from you - 09/07/10 09:34 PM

we get them in around 20 yards or so that by the time we are pulling up for the shot and they see movement we can still shoot some where between 25-35 yards.

Posted By: kdub

Re: Decoys. How far away from you - 09/07/10 09:47 PM

Normally close, but have had good results putting them way out at times too. Gotta experiment a little. The teal decoys are always close though, those buggers land right in with them.

Posted By: R.G.C.

Re: Decoys. How far away from you - 09/07/10 10:53 PM

normaly just out of range of Hopedales gun pattern so I will have some left after the hunt that arnt full of holes
roflmao

Posted By: Guy

Re: Decoys. How far away from you - 09/07/10 11:33 PM

25 yards

Posted By: deckhand

Re: Decoys. How far away from you - 09/08/10 12:50 AM

Originally Posted By: R.G.C.
normaly just out of range of Hopedales gun pattern so I will have some left after the hunt that arnt full of holes
roflmao
rofl rofl

Posted By: Hopedale

Re: Decoys. How far away from you - 09/08/10 01:34 AM

Originally Posted By: R.G.C.
roflmao

This from the guy that is the poster child of deek killing!

Posted By: Ed Lingenfelter

Re: Decoys. How far away from you - 09/08/10 12:00 PM

Thanks Guys. This helps. Heck I have to get out there and see what works.

Posted By: sptaylor

Re: Decoys. How far away from you - 09/08/10 01:51 PM

Dont forget the landing zones.. They need a place to land..

Posted By: Littledog

Re: Decoys. How far away from you - 09/08/10 03:21 PM

Something to try (it's worked for me in the past):
If your hunting a small pond / tank that's just a bit bigger than you want to shoot across:

In the past, I would put a small number of deeks close to me. . .but on calm days it never failed that about half the birds would land on the other side of the tank.

I then put out several dozen deeks (more than anyone would consider "correct" for the tank size) and i put them all on the opposite side. Now the only real "open" spot was my half of the tank.
Most all of the birds from then on landed neatly in front of me.

Try this on days when there is little or no wind (i.e. nothing to finish the birds where you want them).

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum