Texas Hunting Forum

planting

Posted By: TX Marsh

planting - 08/09/10 08:34 PM

I was wondering for this season what are the exact rules for planting food for ducks.I've read the rules and my head starts spinning so does anyone actually know the rules and can explain them in an easy enough way that i could understand and not a bunch of technical terms. I plan on planting some millet and i have a pond that ive hunted many times before that has recently been rooted up on all sides by hogs and is mud. so would it be legal to toss some millet seeds or milo out in the mud and cover it up some with say a rake or an 4 wheeler with some chain fence behind it? or would that be considered illegal?

Posted By: TBK

Re: planting - 08/09/10 08:44 PM

All you have to do is post on here it is illegal to plant and hunt over what you planted. You will get a lengthy discussion I'm sure. You might also search the topic on this forum as there has been quite a bit discussed on it. Nothing that I have seen has changed and honestly the best is to find the wardens who cover your area and call them.

Posted By: ishootspoonies

Re: planting - 08/10/10 06:03 PM

you can plant and hunt. you may not plant, cut/chop (manipulate), then hunt.

its as simple as that.

Posted By: Cappy_TX

Re: planting - 08/10/10 08:42 PM

Quote:
so would it be legal to toss some millet seeds or milo out in the mud and cover it up some with say a rake or an 4 wheeler with some chain fence behind it?

Yes. Except on opening day or thereafter.

Posted By: Littledog

Re: planting - 08/10/10 10:31 PM

I think the law states that the seed would need to "raked under" 10 days or more in advance of when you hunt over it.

could very easily be wrong about this !

Posted By: Littledog

Re: planting - 08/10/10 10:36 PM

The best info I have found:

http://www.fws.gov/le/huntfish/waterfowl_baiting.htm

Keep in mind though, these are federal rules. You'll want to find out what rules TPWD has made up. Good luck.

Posted By: TX Marsh

Re: planting - 08/11/10 12:54 AM

Ok thanks i appreciate the help guys. I've never hunted over anything planted specifically for waterfowl so im anxious to see how it all turns out

Posted By: ishootspoonies

Re: planting - 08/11/10 01:13 AM

i guess i should have been a little more specific:
Plant NOW. hunt Later over full size plants.
plant millet. its too late to plant milo and expect to have a seed head.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum