Texas Hunting Forum

Duck Dr Duck Permanent Blind – How to (pic heavy)

Posted By: Guy

Duck Dr Duck Permanent Blind – How to (pic heavy) - 06/27/10 05:03 PM

I'm making this post for anyone looking to make a permanent blind, this is a blind I made last season and got some good help here on the forum, maybe this will help someone else.

I used the Dr Duck Blind, below is the designed I followed:

Here is the link I got it from.

http://www.missourioutback.com/Stories/lesson3.html

I did my blind a little different here and there. My blind is 6 ft x 12 ft. The floor is in 3 sections, each section is 6 ft x 4ft, below is a pic of 1 floor section upside down, 1 inch treated plywood famed with 2x6’s.

Here is a pic with all the floor sections completed and right side up.

The rest of the blind I used 1/2 inch treated plywood and 2 x 4s, other pics..

I hung the walls half inch over the foundation, so water drains off better...

I gave the roof an over hang, so water does not run down the walls..

Re: Duck Dr Duck Permanent Blind – How to (pic heavy) - 06/27/10 05:03 PM

Continue from previous post

Here are the side doors, I framed them with 2 x 2s, but if I had a do over I would stick with 2 x 4s..

Rails for the sliding shooter doors..

Re: Duck Dr Duck Permanent Blind – How to (pic heavy) - 06/27/10 05:04 PM

Continue from previous post

In the field, brushed in using palm leaves (thanks to Cappy gave me this idea). From the pic below, you can see that the blinds “support” foundation are flat concrete blocks, then cinder blocks, then 2 treated 4x4’s that (length of the blind font and back, cannot be seen) that the 3 floor sections sit on top of. When wetland is fully flooded, water comes up to the top of the cinder blocks.

Dog doors on each side of the blind..

Built that plateform for my son, by the end of the season he out grew it. grin

Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: Duck Dr Duck Permanent Blind – How to (pic heavy) - 06/27/10 05:37 PM

Guy, what was the approximate cost of material for your blind?

Re: Duck Dr Duck Permanent Blind – How to (pic heavy) - 06/27/10 05:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Hayraker
Guy, what was the approximate cost of material for your blind?

$850, I tracked all my expenses. I bought everything from home depot. That cost is for all the materials, down to the cinder blocks...

Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Duck Dr Duck Permanent Blind – How to (pic heavy) - 06/27/10 06:03 PM

good pics, documenting my deer stand right now. not quite as big, but its elevated so I have to construct in pieces as well to get it into place. Tactor wont help with this one smile

Re: Duck Dr Duck Permanent Blind – How to (pic heavy) - 06/27/10 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: TreeBass
good pics, documenting my deer stand right now. not quite as big, but its elevated so I have to construct in pieces as well to get it into place. Tactor wont help with this one smile

Yeal that blind has been set-up in 3 different locations, so I have set it up 3 times, and broken it down twice. I built it with all that in mind. I can break the blind down in no time. Now moving it and setting it up takes some time, pic below I'm moving it, I did it by myself with this move eek2.

Posted By: RMR

Re: Duck Dr Duck Permanent Blind – How to (pic heavy) - 06/27/10 06:43 PM

Guy, that is sweet! You did a great job on that!

Re: Duck Dr Duck Permanent Blind – How to (pic heavy) - 06/27/10 07:01 PM

Originally Posted By: RMR

Thanks, I worked on it all last summer, built it in my garage, sure did drink a lot of beer building it. grin

Posted By: RMR

Re: Duck Dr Duck Permanent Blind – How to (pic heavy) - 06/27/10 07:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Guy
Originally Posted By: RMR

Thanks, I worked on it all last summer, built it in my garage, sure did drink a lot of beer building it. grin

Haha I'm sure. That always makes working a little more fun. And easier too!

Posted By: TBK

Re: Duck Dr Duck Permanent Blind – How to (pic heavy) - 06/28/10 02:22 PM

Nice.

Posted By: KillemBoys

Re: Duck Dr Duck Permanent Blind – How to (pic heavy) - 08/06/10 02:55 PM

That is AWESOME!!!!!!! I am so impressed with you guys who can do this kind of thing - if I attempted a project like this you would have to add a 1 to the front of that number you gave for cost because of all of the wasted material AND it would be so structurally unsound that I am sure I would be in litigation with whoever came with me on the hunt!!!

Posted By: Blast

Re: Duck Dr Duck Permanent Blind – How to (pic heavy) - 08/06/10 03:53 PM

Well done!!!!

Posted By: QuackStacker

Re: Duck Dr Duck Permanent Blind – How to (pic heavy) - 08/06/10 05:45 PM

sweet.

Posted By: skyshark

Re: Duck Dr Duck Permanent Blind – How to (pic heavy) - 08/06/10 06:20 PM

Put that thing on something that floats and fish out of it... Some people see Jesus in cheese sandwiches... I see a Northern Pike in this blind...

banana

Re: Duck Dr Duck Permanent Blind – How to (pic heavy) - 05/01/16 12:51 AM

I have had many questions over the years about this blind, and referenced this thread to members. So just adding some pics, its the best design ever JMO. You can stand up and shoot 360, low profile, great for floating etc... The design can't be beat.

My son and I smoking some ringnecks... You can hear my boy gets excited as a pair of ringnecks come in an circle from behind, I pop the first, my boy splashes the second bird on his second shot...

Some more pics...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Duck Dr Duck Permanent Blind – How to (pic heavy) - 05/01/16 01:02 AM

Posted By: Cappy_TX

Re: Duck Dr Duck Permanent Blind – How to (pic heavy) - 05/08/16 11:25 PM

Guy ... you did a very good job, Only question is if some of the plywood was left unpainted? If so, you'll not get nearly as many seasons out of it as you would if you'd use 1, preferably 2 coats of a good exterior flat enamel. I prefab'd mine as you did and then painted all of the components parts before reassembly.

Re: Duck Dr Duck Permanent Blind – How to (pic heavy) - 05/09/16 12:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Cappy_TX
Guy ... you did a very good job, Only question is if some of the plywood was left unpainted? If so, you'll not get nearly as many seasons out of it as you would if you'd use 1, preferably 2 coats of a good exterior flat enamel. I prefab'd mine as you did and then painted all of the components parts before reassembly.

Well I talked to quite a few people about it, including yourself and I appreciated all your input. I used all pressure treated wood, and had many tell me it would not hold stain, need to let it dry out first. So I did not even stain it till after a couple years. I hunted it 2008 thru 2014 season, let my lease go last season and the blind went with it. It will last many more year...
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum