Texas Hunting Forum

3 hogs down

Posted By: mikei

3 hogs down - 05/24/22 02:06 PM

I discovered a place where the hogs had been crawling under the fence. I set up a camera and watched it for a few days, and sure enough, there were 3 piggies using the spot on a regular basis. One of them was a very large black boar; one was a medium size sow, and one was a juvenile. My son and I set up an ambush site about 70 yards away in a clump of mesquite. John (son) took my Ruger/Marlin 45-70 and I had my 450 BushMaster. RIght on schedule, the little one pushed through; then the sow, and lastly the boar. They milled around for a few minutes and then moved out. John took the first shot at the boar and he went down with little more than a wiggle. The other two took off and we waited for about 10 minutes to see if either would come back. The sow returned and began head-butting the downed boar! Then the juvenile showed up to help the sow prod the boar! We both shot the sow at the same time; she went down hard, the little one split. Not two minutes later he came back, and I took him down with the Bushy. All-in-all, a good morning's work. We were going to butcher the small one, but when we turned him over we discovered a badly infected exit wound, complete with blowflies and larvae. Figured 'yotes and buzzards would appreciate him more than we would, so off to the boneyard they all went.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: 3 hogs down - 05/24/22 03:03 PM

Sweet!

Honestly, I can't believe you are hunting around cactus in shorts. I would be picking spines out of my legs all evening long.
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: 3 hogs down - 05/24/22 07:16 PM

Patience pays off!
Nice going.
Posted By: mikei

Re: 3 hogs down - 05/24/22 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
Sweet!

Honestly, I can't believe you are hunting around cactus in shorts. I would be picking spines out of my legs all evening long.

We've hunted around it for years and years, and never do any serious bushwhacking without leggings and snake proof boots. We had scouted the terrain we were going to hunt and knew that it had very little cactus to attack us. And, it was a daytime hunt, so we could see where we were walking. Having said all that, I've picked plenty of spines from incidental, collateral damage from our cactus-infested territory!
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: 3 hogs down - 05/25/22 12:29 AM

2 down with how many to go. Good job.
Posted By: TMonjure

Re: 3 hogs down - 05/25/22 04:45 AM

Few down, many more to go. Keep up the good work!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum