Texas Hunting Forum

Hernia surgery

Posted By: 68rustbucket

Hernia surgery - 10/17/23 11:07 PM

Scheduled for hernia surgery next month. Been dealing with this since mid July. Surgery will be robotic style. Supposed to be a 2 week recovery time. Is this a realistic time frame?
Posted By: kry226

Re: Hernia surgery - 10/18/23 02:53 AM

It likely is. I had this done back in 2005 and it certainly didn't keep me bedridden. Go easy and be cognizant of your movements and all should be fine. Good luck, sir.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Hernia surgery - 10/18/23 03:10 AM

After my colon resection, I developed a small abdominal hernia. The surgeon who is also my Colorectal Dr. said it wasn't one and went out of town The thing got bigger and bigger, when he got back, I saw him, he said oops I guess it is one. (dick). Before I could line up my surgery, Covid hit, and all elective surgeries were postponed. The damm thing kept getting bigger, I wore those elastic stomach bands for support.

After surgery, the second night I couldn't breathe, went to the ER and they took MRI. I had carbon dioxide pockets left behind (they pump you up with it to make room for the robotics) under my sternum. Took a couple days for the pockets to work their way out of my body.

About 3 days in some pain, then just took it easy. The area is still there. It is sensitive to the touch.
Posted By: soooo

Re: Hernia surgery - 10/18/23 11:29 AM

My bellybutton is in need of repair. Doesn't hurt, but it's a little bigger every year.
Posted By: Kevin_M

Re: Hernia surgery - 10/18/23 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Scheduled for hernia surgery next month. Been dealing with this since mid July. Surgery will be robotic style. Supposed to be a 2 week recovery time. Is this a realistic time frame?

Depends on what kind of hernia. if its an umbilical hernia, yeah 2 weeks is about right. Lower inguinal, that recovery is much longer and far more painful.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Hernia surgery - 10/18/23 02:40 PM

Watching this; we take the 4 year old into Cooks on Friday for an umbilical hernia repair.

Re: Hernia surgery - 10/18/23 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin_M

Depends on what kind of hernia. if its an umbilical hernia, yeah 2 weeks is about right. Lower inguinal, that recovery is much longer and far more painful.

It’s a lower Inguinal.
Posted By: DukeCigars

Re: Hernia surgery - 10/18/23 04:26 PM

I thought this was posted in the DIY section for a quick moment….
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: Hernia surgery - 10/20/23 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin_M

It’s a lower Inguinal.

Then I would be surprised if it's that fast of a recovery...and it also depends on what they are meaning by 'recovery'. Are they talking about the time for the sutures to heal or do they mean returning to full activity or somewhere in between?

Re: Hernia surgery - 11/06/23 11:45 PM

Got it done this morning, much better now than after waking up in recovery.

Re: Hernia surgery - 11/07/23 01:24 AM

Thats great. Take it slow and heal fast.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Hernia surgery - 11/07/23 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Thats great. Take it slow and heal fast.

Re: Hernia surgery - 11/08/23 01:47 PM

Been a couple days, no pain meds needed this morning.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Hernia surgery - 11/08/23 03:45 PM

Good sign, don't push it.
Posted By: texasag93

Re: Hernia surgery - 11/08/23 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo1

Good sign, don't push it.

This!

Glad to hear you are doing well.
Posted By: soooo

Re: Hernia surgery - 11/09/23 12:47 PM

up
Posted By: Tbar

Re: Hernia surgery - 11/09/23 01:41 PM

Don't sneeze...... grin

Re: Hernia surgery - 11/09/23 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tbar
Don't sneeze...... grin

Actually I don’t think that will hurt now, unless I go into a multiple sneeze fest. Coughing seems to be ok.
Posted By: VigoPark

Re: Hernia surgery - 01/05/24 10:08 PM

I had it done old school back in the 80s. 4 inch scar parallel to the crease where your leg and abdomen meet. The surgeon told me as soon as the anesthesia fog is cleared up, start walking, don't do stairs. That was good sound advice. It made the recovery quicker, I couldn't really lift for 3 months, and could feel pressure where the mesh was sewed in for 6 months or so. 38 years later, that side is close to bullet proof.
Walk, walk, walk.
Posted By: Nathan at Fork

Re: Hernia surgery - 01/07/24 04:01 AM

My hernia repair a year ago has recovered completely. I forget that I had it done. Mine was an umbilical and they actually found two hernias above my belly button, they made a cut ti connect them and sewed it all shut after cutting off the sacks. Took a while to get used to not having the press on that spot when I did stuff.

Re: Hernia surgery - 01/07/24 06:00 AM

I can still feel mine, its still shows a bump and is numb where the nerves were damaged. Between Covid and my jackazz colorectal Doc. it was not a 100% success in my mind.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum