Texas Hunting Forum

BP

Posted By: Brother in-law

BP - 03/08/23 02:28 AM

What do you consider high bp?

How do you combat it?

What medicines has worked?

Any weird side affects to the medicines?

Looking for the people side of answers , not the google
Posted By: helomech

Re: BP - 03/08/23 02:30 AM

I really like this guy.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: BP - 03/08/23 02:37 AM

Tough to answer. It is an individual thing. I take Metoprolol and Losartin. It took me several trial and error prescritions to arrive at these two meds. They have the least side effects for me. I also have to take a diuretic as one of my meds causes the retention of water. My Dr's are happy if my BP stays under 130/80.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: BP - 03/09/23 02:42 PM

been taking lisinopril hctz since I was in my 20's. had my physical last week it was 122/70. at it's worst it was 156/92.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: BP - 03/09/23 02:53 PM

Avapro works for me. Docs don't like it when it gets over 140 on top side and 90 on bottom. Avapro can be used with diuretic added or without. Size of cuff used, mechanical vs. manual, and physicality before the test, etc.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: BP - 03/09/23 02:54 PM

Lisinopril 10mg with htcz. Ditched the diuretic after a few years and went with 20mg to maintain 130/80 obese 50 year old.

If memory serves ace inhibitors can cause a cough. The first one I was on did just that and they had to switch me until it was right. Beta blockers work well but also seem to affect your overall life. Fatigue, no energy, no drive, etc. this is not everyone.

Some of them will make your business not work. Don’t be shy, tell your doctor, they will fix you up.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: BP - 03/09/23 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by wp75169
Lisinopril 10mg with htcz. Ditched the diuretic after a few years and went with 20mg to maintain 130/80 obese 50 year old.

If memory serves ace inhibitors can cause a cough. The first one I was on did just that and they had to switch me until it was right. Beta blockers work well but also seem to affect your overall life. Fatigue, no energy, no drive, etc. this is not everyone.

Some of them will make your business not work. Don’t be shy, tell your doctor, they will fix you up.

What are some of the names of the Beta Blockers you mentioned?
Posted By: GNTX

Re: BP - 03/09/23 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by helomech
I really like this guy.

Following his advice, I went carnivore 13 months ago. Best thing I ever did for my health. He just put this video out a few days ago and IMHO, everyone in this thread should watch it because you may be taking meds for a condition you don’t really have.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: BP - 03/09/23 07:30 PM

Olmesartan 40/25
Amlodipine .05mg

been on it for many years. no side effects..

we're not doctors, well, at least I'm not. go see yours, see what he says.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: BP - 03/09/23 07:39 PM

Mine was about 180 over 110 and took meds to keep it around 140 over 90. I retired, moved away from the city and started getting dizzy after standing up. I saw my Dr and was 90 over 50. I stopped taking the meds and I’m consistently 120 over 70 for a year now. 51 YOA. Stress is a killer.
Posted By: nsmike

Re: BP - 03/09/23 09:43 PM

I've always heard that over 130 systolic, or 90 diastolic were yellow range, 140 systolic and 100 diastolic were red, or high pressure range. My Dr has me check daily for a week, before I see him, for a routine checkup.
Posted By: soooo

Re: BP - 03/10/23 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket

What are some of the names of the Beta Blockers you mentioned?

Diltiazem is the one I've been on for ten years. Doctor said it keeps me from having a heart attack.
Posted By: DannyB

Re: BP - 03/10/23 05:10 AM

I had a Omron PB checker for many years. My BP was high enough one morning to somewhat alarm me. It has always been quite normal. I called my doctor's office. They said to come on in and let them check it. It was normal. The RN with about thirty years of experience knows me well enough to tell it like it is. She said go home and throw that Omron POS in the trash. She said to only trust a manual setup.

Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: BP - 04/10/23 03:41 AM

mine is 118/68, considered excellent

I eat high salt high sugar diet

it's not the salt that you need worry about,
it's the type of salt

change your diet is all you need to do

eat clean.

no drugs needed.

buy me dinner and I'll tell you more smile
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: BP - 04/11/23 06:31 PM

After 5 by pass doc put me on low dose aspirin, 40mg Atorvastatin and Metoprolol for life. Well that Metroprolol made other things not work so good. changed to low dose Losartan and all good now but I still run a tad high.
Posted By: Old Shakie

Re: BP - 04/14/23 03:45 AM

Yup.....Lisinopril-HVTZ 20-12.5 mg and Yup, I got that weird cough. It is not that bad but the stuff works well and keeps my top number in the 125-135 range and the doc is happy with that.

Years ago I was on Dyazide but as I got older I needed something stronger. The Lisinopril keeps it lower and less swing in BP pressure.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: BP - 05/07/23 01:05 AM

I’ve gained weight. How? Don’t know. I’m, 6 ft tall, 80 years old and in pretty good health.

2 years ago I spent 25 days in ICU for a busted colon. I came out at about 185 lbs. and no muscle due to being bed ridden. They put me on restricted activity for a couple of months. That meant sit on my butt and don’t bust anything loose. When they said I was healed I started walking a mile, generally 2 miles per day. Also lifting weights. During that time I put on some muscle mass. I now weigh about 215. Why? I’m eating lightly and exercising daily. Walking a mile per day(most days).

How have I gained weight while eating lightly and exercising?

Re: BP - 05/07/23 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
I’ve gained weight. How? Don’t know. I’m, 6 ft tall, 80 years old and in pretty good health.

2 years ago I spent 25 days in ICU for a busted colon. I came out at about 185 lbs. and no muscle due to being bed ridden. They put me on restricted activity for a couple of months. That meant sit on my butt and don’t bust anything loose. When they said I was healed I started walking a mile, generally 2 miles per day. Also lifting weights. During that time I put on some muscle mass. I now weigh about 215. Why? I’m eating lightly and exercising daily. Walking a mile per day(most days).

Maybe it’s water weight.
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: BP - 05/07/23 03:11 AM

Muscle weighs more than fat...
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: BP - 05/09/23 04:57 PM

Patrick, my Dad's side has a lot of high BP so I'm sure to have it as well.

Mine was getting a bit high, like in the higher 130's. Since I've started fasting 1 day a week, and cut down on my sodium intake mine never gets out of the 120's now. I've also lost around 20 pounds since I started fasting.

I don't want to be on meds, I want to do it natural and on my own.
Posted By: kwrhuntinglab

Re: BP - 05/09/23 04:59 PM

amlodipine and benazapril is what I am taking...

At my worst I was 170/95 most of the time... last dr check I was 120/79
I have lost 20lbs so far and I think that has helped as my resting heart rate has gone down.
Posted By: LeonCarr

Re: BP - 05/10/23 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by kwrhuntinglab
amlodipine and benazapril is what I am taking...

At my worst I was 170/95 most of the time... last dr check I was 120/79
I have lost 20lbs so far and I think that has helped as my resting heart rate has gone down.

5% of the people taking A/B get severe leg cramps...I was a 5 percenter. I had a Charlie Horse so severe one night it brought tears to my eyes.

The doctor switching me to Valsartan made the leg cramps go away. After losing 65 pounds my BP went from 140/90 on medication to 110/70. Doc told me if I had to jump up suddenly from sitting to standing at 110/70 I could pass out lol, and to start taking a half a pill everyday. My BP stays around 125/85.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: BP - 05/10/23 03:42 PM

I take 2.5 mg of amlodipine every day.
BP averages 120/75.

I walk two miles, five days per week and do physical labor of some sort almost daily.
I don't smoke and keep the sodium as low as possible.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: BP - 05/13/23 01:50 AM

Made it past my physical and no bp meds. I can try to do better
Posted By: OkieDokie

Re: BP - 05/16/23 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket

Maybe it’s water weight.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: BP - 05/17/23 01:16 PM

Agree with that. Although plenty of gut muscle, I need to buy bigger jeans.

Re: BP - 05/17/23 04:28 PM

Agree with that. Although plenty of gut muscle, I need to buy bigger jeans.

Easier than loosing weight! cyclo
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum