moutain bike?

Posted By: luv2brode

moutain bike? - 05/07/16 04:13 PM

looking for some good info, I would be a beginner
what to look for in a bike
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: moutain bike? - 05/07/16 05:10 PM

Don't cheap out or you will be replacing and repairing parts all the time
Go to a real bike shop to get educated , try to see what they offer after the sale
Get properly sized, very very important
Test ride them. Some brands are more forgiving
Best deals will be on last years model

I took the police mountain bike school at Georgetown and that area of the world has a lot of mountain bike stuff
Posted By: HMK

Re: moutain bike? - 05/07/16 06:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
Go to a real bike shop to get educated , try to see what they offer after the sale

I took the police mountain bike school at Georgetown and that area of the world has a lot of mountain bike stuff

+1 I bought a Trek a few years back and it's been awesome!
Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: moutain bike? - 05/08/16 01:04 AM

Front and rear disc brakes are nice to have. Like brother in law said, get properly sized and test ride some bikes. Look around and find a shop in your area with good reviews, should be easy in the austin area.

Re: moutain bike? - 05/08/16 05:12 PM

BIL: I took the police mountain bike school at Georgetown and that area of the world has a lot of mountain bike stuff

this is what I have to look forward to this summer, intel would be good
some guys are buying 1000 bikes I'm looking at a few that are between 400=700 gt brand, Fuji, and force
thanks
Posted By: BigPig

Re: moutain bike? - 05/08/16 05:48 PM

My dept has been using Raleigh almost exclusively for years, there are a few Treks and Fuji mixed in. Most frames will be the same in that price range, aluminum is preffered but steel will work just heavy. Look for the bike that has the best components and front fork. Tires wear out so don't worry too much about them. Stay away from a 29 inch tire, it's all the rage the last 5 years, but takes some experience to ride and they weigh more. Disc brakes will be likely be cable operated, nothing wrong with that, just needs a little adjusting from time to time.
Posted By: TDK

Re: moutain bike? - 05/08/16 07:45 PM

For $400-$700 I would look at used bikes, you just need to be aware of what to look for and be sure of your frame size. In that price you are probably looking at a hard tail, rigid singlespeed might be a good bet too.

My main rides:
First is a steel framed singlespeed, weighs 23lbs without any carbon parts.

Re: moutain bike? - 05/08/16 07:46 PM

What is your height and inseam?

You have a lot of great places to ride around Austin, some not so beginner friendly. Be careful and wear a helmet.

Re: moutain bike? - 05/08/16 10:23 PM

thanks for the info
6 ft tall not sure of inseam
yeah I will have to buy a helmet and all that fun stuff too

Re: moutain bike? - 05/09/16 02:39 AM

You're looking at a Large frame then. Reach can be adjusted via stem length.

Re: moutain bike? - 05/10/16 12:00 AM

ok thanks that's what I was thinking trying to decide between 27.5 and 29er

Re: moutain bike? - 05/10/16 01:36 AM

You won't see drastic differences like manufacturers claim. But, being a large frame I'd recommend 29.

There is a new type of tire size called 27.5+ and 29+. They are wider and provide a softer ride and gobs of traction, something you'll find a great help in the loose stuff. The 27.5+ will have the benefits of the 29er and more. Plus, with a frame that clears 27.5+ you can also run a standard 29"(non +) if desired, not sure why you would though. Don't confuse + size bikes(2.8"-3.2" wide tire)with fat tire bikes(4"-4.8")

Unfortunately being new technology their aren't many lower priced options yet. Marin might be the lowest:
http://www.marinbikes.com/us/bikes/description/2016-pine-mountain-1#image-4

Or bikesdirect:
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fat-bikes/fat-bikes-fantom275-x7-plus.htm

Re: moutain bike? - 05/10/16 03:41 AM

My biggest complaint about the 29's, old and prob new ones, is the amount of roll in the tires during fast turns. When I switched from my 26er to the 29er, I found myself sliding the front tires out from under me during fast turns more with the 29, despite the wider tire. If I could do it all o we again, I'd go with a carbon 26er instead of the aluminum 29er.

Currently crashing and thrashing a Jamis Exile III

Re: moutain bike? - 05/10/16 05:52 PM

I haven't tried the 29's. I will say, get a good bike and take care of it and it will last many years. Don't jump off 4 foot drops or leave it out in the rain and it should give you good service. I bought mine 18 years ago. Over the course of those years, I've replaced the seat, tires, cables a few times and the chain once.

Re: moutain bike? - 05/10/16 06:23 PM

Here's our bikes. Wife says we bought in 2000 not 1998. Our first trip out, we got caught in a pitch fork rain and bad thunderstorm. We were about 10 miles from home. We were a lot younger then. In fact, we were so excited about them, we woke up at like 4am waiting for the first light so we could take off. There were grey clouds, but we paid them no mind. Off we went! We were chased by dogs out in the middle of freaking no where! We stopped under some big oak trees to keep us semi dry. That probably wasn't the smartest idea either since there was a major lightening storm going on.

We bought matching bikes and logged a bunch of hours over the years. It's not all that light considering bikes of today. The Rox Shocks weren't great either, but they have provided years of entertainment.

Re: moutain bike? - 05/10/16 08:30 PM

Also despite want the size it says make sure you have some space between your sac and the top bar. You might be 6' tall but have a shorter inseam. Often referred to as standover.

Re: moutain bike? - 05/10/16 09:57 PM

Also despite want the size it says make sure you have some space between your sac and the top bar. You might be 6' tall but have a shorter inseam. Often referred to as standover.

I thought your problem was dunlap?

Re: moutain bike? - 05/10/16 11:52 PM

nice stuff
Posted By: J McCoy

Re: moutain bike? - 05/19/16 05:13 PM

You want your nuts to almost touch the top tube when standing flat footed over the bike. Not hitting, but almost. I'd start with that and go from there for frame sizing.

Re: moutain bike? - 05/19/16 10:02 PM

Horrible advice. The most important thing regarding fit is reach, further down the list is stand over. A lot of modern bikes have low slung top tunes which conflict with your advice. I ride a medium for example, but I can stand over a XL Pivot Mach 4 with adequate clearance. Reach will be too long, seat too low relative to bar height, seat too far forward, the list goes on. Then you have a bike that handles poorly relative to the same model bike in the correct size.

Re: moutain bike? - 05/20/16 12:51 AM

thanks

Re: moutain bike? - 05/20/16 04:48 AM

Originally Posted By: TDK
Horrible advice. The most important thing regarding fit is reach, further down the list is stand over. A lot of modern bikes have low slung top tunes which conflict with your advice. I ride a medium for example, but I can stand over a XL Pivot Mach 4 with adequate clearance. Reach will be too long, seat too low relative to bar height, seat too far forward, the list goes on. Then you have a bike that handles poorly relative to the same model bike in the correct size.

This ^^^

If you have ever rode a Gary Fisher you will understand what he is saying. I came from a Schwinn when they were great bikes, to a G Fisher Sugar 3+, that was a huge change in posture that I could not get used to. I like to be stretched out on my mountain bikes, the Fishers kept you very vertical and even with the XL frame a person 5'5 could stand over it no problem.

Re: moutain bike? - 05/20/16 01:27 PM

Cool stories

Re: moutain bike? - 05/20/16 03:32 PM

Cool stories

Go get back on your hovaround
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: moutain bike? - 05/22/16 02:58 AM

Had a specialized 29er and loved it but bought used and was really to big for me. Got a smoking deal of 200 on it. Look on Craigslist plenty of deals there.
Posted By: _Lee

Re: moutain bike? - 05/25/16 01:22 AM

Originally Posted By: HMK

+1 I bought a Trek a few years back and it's been awesome!

The wife and I also both got Treks a few years back
Posted By: DiverTexas

Re: moutain bike? - 05/25/16 05:17 PM

I have a Trek that has exactly 2 miles on it.
Blew out my knee 2 days after buying it.
Let me know if you are interested, I'd make you a good deal on it.

Re: moutain bike? - 06/05/16 01:30 AM

went and got me a bike today
gt 29er w hydraulic brakes
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: moutain bike? - 06/05/16 04:01 PM

Join a local Mtn Bike riding club, you'll learn alot and maybe make a new bud. Always carry a spare tube/CO2 inflator, you only need it to happen once to know why.

I have a 29'er Giant front/rear suspension, really like it. Full suspension helps when you're 53. smile

Charlie

Re: moutain bike? - 06/05/16 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: luv2brode

up

Took mine off the hooks last night. Man I forgot how painful that seat it

Re: moutain bike? - 06/05/16 11:33 PM

Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx
Join a local Mtn Bike riding club, you'll learn alot and maybe make a new bud. Always carry a spare tube/CO2 inflator, you only need it to happen once to know why.

I have a 29'er Giant front/rear suspension, really like it. Full suspension helps when you're 53. smile

Charlie

got tubes, got pump. great idea to join a club

Re: moutain bike? - 06/05/16 11:35 PM

Originally Posted By: BigPig

up

so far this seat is pretty good took it out for almost 6 miles today
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: moutain bike? - 06/07/16 02:48 AM

Originally Posted By: BigPig

up

Did the same. Think I rode about two or three miles. My seat is horrible.

Walter

Re: moutain bike? - 06/07/16 11:36 PM

little over 8 miles tonight, that's almost a third of where I need to be and lots of hills
seat aint bad little sore real check will be in the morn
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: moutain bike? - 06/08/16 03:23 AM

...seat aint bad little sore real check will be in the morn

Do you have some cushioned riding shorts? They make a big difference.

Charlie

Re: moutain bike? - 06/08/16 10:50 PM

I do and chamois butter.
good today another ride tomorrow looking forward to it

Re: moutain bike? - 06/08/16 11:17 PM

Are you riding paved trails?

Not to come across as a Richard but there are a lot of hardcore off-road trails in the Austin, most of which I would be surprised if a new rider could complete 2-3mi yet alone 6+. That's why I assumed you were doing paved stuff.

Re: moutain bike? - 06/10/16 12:11 AM

yep doing paved as for the class we have a 30 mile ride to complete. we will do some skills testing and been messing with them some, today ran over 6-8 inch branch blocking trail

today rode with a buddy he did 7miles I completed 10.5 wohoo progress and no real soreness yet.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: moutain bike? - 06/10/16 01:06 AM

Check Craigslist. Adult bikes for fitness are like stationary bikes and treadmills you start out with great intentions and then slowly the enthusiasm goes away. A decent used one will set you back anywhere from $250 up

But the you can get one of these for less than the cost of a mountain bike.
Posted By: elephantman

Re: moutain bike? - 07/08/16 04:42 AM

Been rebuilding a long neglected bike my buddy gave me, had to clean the ant colony out of the handlebars first. ..or more like wait for them to vacate.

Re: moutain bike? - 07/09/16 12:48 AM

entertaining
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: moutain bike? - 07/10/16 09:47 PM

Educate me on the 29" wheels. What's the pros and cons of them from the 26" or smaller mtn bike tires. I looked at a new bike yesterday, and all they had were the 29" wheels. They were much taller than my current bike, which is a Raliegh from late 90's that I love riding and enjoy. It's just older and the bikes now have the hydrolic disc brakes and adjustable shocks.
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: moutain bike? - 07/10/16 11:06 PM

think of the 29" as a jeep. they go over stuff easier and overall better offroad. kinda like having 4wd. easiest way I can explain it

Re: moutain bike? - 07/11/16 12:51 AM

the 29 roll easier and hold speed better to cover more ground. this is my first 29er and I enjoy it it rides nice had to ride my 26 incher and huge difference

Re: moutain bike? - 07/11/16 12:51 AM

the 29 roll easier and hold speed better to cover more ground. this is my first 29er and I enjoy it it rides nice had to ride my 26 incher and huge difference

Re: moutain bike? - 07/13/16 07:06 PM

I don't buy into the hype as much as others. I pass plenty of 29er people on my 26" wheel bike, I also get passed by people on any size tire. The smaller tire will handle better in corners, accelerate faster, and be livelier, the wheels are also stronger. The bigger wheel will be faster in straights and hold speed better. I have yet to be able to verify claims of 29ers climbing better in most normal trail situations in the Dfw area. The only time I've seen benefit is on technical climbs were you might have to lift over big rocks, ledges, or roots.

I think the reason why people go from old 26" bikes to new 29" bikes and feel differences is due to geometry changes.

It brings a smile to my face when someone sees me on the 26" wheel and praises the awesomeness of 29ers only to be passed by me on the trail, usually on a climb that is barely possible on a 29er and impossible on a 26er.

It's the Indian.
Posted By: changedmyname

Re: moutain bike? - 07/17/16 01:13 AM

Originally Posted By: TDK
I don't buy into the hype as much as others. I pass plenty of 29er people on my 26" wheel bike, I also get passed by people on any size tire. The smaller tire will handle better in corners, accelerate faster, and be livelier, the wheels are also stronger. The bigger wheel will be faster in straights and hold speed better. I have yet to be able to verify claims of 29ers climbing better in most normal trail situations in the Dfw area. The only time I've seen benefit is on technical climbs were you might have to lift over big rocks, ledges, or roots.

I think the reason why people go from old 26" bikes to new 29" bikes and feel differences is due to geometry changes.

It brings a smile to my face when someone sees me on the 26" wheel and praises the awesomeness of 29ers only to be passed by me on the trail, usually on a climb that is barely possible on a 29er and impossible on a 26er.

It's the Indian.

If you're that ba switch to a 29er and feel the difference before making these claims.

Re: moutain bike? - 07/19/16 02:15 AM

Ive put plenty of miles on a Specialized Epic 29er to gain that experience. There are differences, pros and cons alike. The gains aren't enough to warrant spending $3500+ on a new bike that is comparable to my full suspension rig. I ride to have fun, not be a STRAVA douche. People still win races on 26" wheels.

I'll openly agree not all bikes a equal, but I've yet to find a 29er I just loved. 27.5" is more to my liking. For reference I ride a small frame.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: moutain bike? - 07/21/16 07:49 PM

Looking at a Cannondale Trail 3 or 4. 2017 models will be available with 29s.

Re: moutain bike? - 07/22/16 12:49 AM

cannondale nice
Posted By: C.K.

Re: moutain bike? - 10/08/16 01:23 AM

I've got a basic Trek 4500. I got it used, it's a cheaper bike but it got me into mountain biking and being more fit. It's held up great but the weight and drivetrain leaves much to be desired. I bike on pavement way more than off road so I'm going to buy a nicer Trek hybrid bike and keep the mountain bike for when I want to hit the trails. Great fun!
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: moutain bike? - 10/17/16 01:39 AM

I don't know why ive never wandered over to this forum. I own 26, 27.5, and 29 bikes. I rarely ride the 26. Once you ride a 29 for awhile the 26 feels like a childrens bike. The 27.5 is a nice in-between size. I equate it to 33" vs 35" vs 37" tires on an offroad vehice.

Re: moutain bike? - 11/03/16 01:22 AM

I am liking my gt 29er but I have ridden my old cheap 26 a couple times too
Posted By: pir7tr

Re: moutain bike? - 02/05/17 09:35 PM

Cheaper bikes have more plastic parts that break over the long run.
Look for nice components they will hold up, brake, shocks, wheels (so you don't taco)
I recommend price range $750-$2000 for a good beginner 29" that you plan on using.
Get a helmet, you will want to test your self riding,(you ain't 12 any more), and you will fall (it does hurt).
Get some shades and headphones, camel-back for hydration.
Have fun!!!

Posted By: Superduty

Re: moutain bike? - 02/07/17 03:34 AM

Felt 29'er.

Re: moutain bike? - 03/15/17 12:36 AM

ok so class had been canceled so had first day today little sore not bad, made it thru the maneuvers, rode about 10 miles over all. tomorrow long ride 26 miles then third and last day
woohoo

Re: moutain bike? - 03/15/17 10:55 PM

made it thru day 2 and the 26 mile road and lots of stairs
hills suck
if ya all think Austin traffic stinks try it on a bicycle
I'm sore but alive

Re: moutain bike? - 03/16/17 11:57 PM

woohoo passed its over now
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum